• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is SMSL A300 enough to power KEF Q350, often listening mid-loud?

hawaii808

Hi, is SMSL A300 enough to power KEF Q350 without clipping? On a daily basis, I listen to TIDAL at about medium volume, but sometimes I like to turn the knob higher. If not, do you have some other ideas for an amp at a similar price?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
…. and quantify „medium loud“ please.

(iPhone/Android with a respective SPL app will do for starters)

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
sometimes I like to turn the knob higher
That's the deadly part! A few watts is enough to play those KEF fairly loud, but each increment of volume doubles the power. I don't see any 3rd party measurements of A300 (if you buy this ship to Amir!). So many of these small amps put out very little actual power. SMSL's graph at
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/new-smsl-a300-btl-class-d-power-amp.34607/
indicates maybe 120W into 4Ω at 1 kHz. Note that speakers are not resistors so the FOUR ohm power is what matters even if the speakers are supposedly 8 (which often they are really 4 anyway :facepalm:). Should be rated 20-20k Hz, and distortion should be <1%,

That thread indicates there is a 50 Hz highpass, which is weirdly kinda low, so this might not be a great choice if you ever want to add a subwoofer to relieve your Q350s of low bass strain. Then again few stereo units have an internal highpass crossover at all, even if they have a "subwoofer" out, so stupid. :mad:

What features are you looking for? Compact size? Bluetooth? Remote control? USB input? WiFi? I have
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08CJZGT6H
in one system based on Amir's measured 70W actual, runs quite cool, but no features. Anything with an outboard power supply you have to really watch what you are buying, many times it seems the included supply won't give the maximum power.

franking

I have the question about the input from A300
Currently i use the SMSL SU-8S as the DAC and connect it to the A300 through RCA
However, through the RCA input, does it mean that the A300 may have ADC that allow further the DSP?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the DAC inside the A300 is really just the dac built into the BT chipset... which means its redbook at best and the Infineon process is divorced from it.

The DSP is all the baked in Infineon stuff so it would be done in PWM.

To be original question... people are over analysing this

going by this the Q350 does not look to be a particularly demanding speaker and the A300 at best, is something like a 70-75w amp and it should power it as loud as you'd want in a domestic environment.

I used mine to drive stuff with less than 87dB and it was fine.

Last edited:

franking

the DAC inside the A300 is really just the dac built into the BT chipset... which means its redbook at best and the Infineon process is divorced from it.

The DSP is all the baked in Infineon stuff so it would be done in PWM.

To be original question... people are over analysing this

going by this the Q350 does not look to be a particularly demanding speaker and the A300 at best, is something like a 70-75w amp at best and it should power it as loud as you'd want in a domestic environment.

I used mine to drive stuff with less than 87dB and it was fine.
Can njw1194 manage the analog signal?

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
just by asking that you made me do a little 5 min research session

i would refer you to this thread which I also participated in

basically i think it comes down to what vol. ctrl. pot you like

PGA2310 is a TI unit and looks the cheapest

NJW1194 is a Japanese Nisshinbo unit... I think this one is very popular in SMSL devices.

Top of the line seems to be relay based.

And then you can get in arguments with people like Toku about the curve ramp ups etc.

I think realistically these devices are all fit for purpose and they should be fine for most people. I'm probably the worst person to ask about the A300 vol. because I hate the jog dial and I always used a preamp onto so...

franking

just by asking that you made me do a little 5 min research session

i would refer you to this thread which I also participated in

basically i think it comes down to what vol. ctrl. pot you like

PGA2310 is a TI unit and looks the cheapest

NJW1194 is a Japanese Nisshinbo unit... I think this one is very popular in SMSL devices.

Top of the line seems to be relay based.

And then you can get in arguments with people like Toku about the curve ramp ups etc.

I think realistically these devices are all fit for purpose and they should be fine for most people. I'm probably the worst person to ask about the A300 vol. because I hate the jog dial and I always used a preamp onto so...
Thanks for replying me, sorry for bothering more
My key point is does the analog signal(from RCA input) be transformed into digital signal so that the NJW1194 can do it's job( NJW1194 was mentioned in A300 datasheet)
Also the A300 got USB input, that means it definetly need a DAC, i didn't see which DAC does SMSL use in datasheet, possible by the BT chipset?
The main question is whether A300 need to have ADC to made NJW1194 work, and due to the ADC, the SU-8S is useless.

I am not really understand about how these chips done there work, by the way i see the intergrate amp Aiyima D03 has list the ADC(PCM1808) in it's datasheet, this made me so confused.
Thanks for helping me

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The NJW1194 preamp is an electronic preamp and not a digital one.

Your SU-8 DAC will perform much better than the Bluetooth DAC. Many have mentioned it on this forum.

I own the Sabaj A20a version 2019 (dual Infineon) and with the NJW1194. I use a dual ES9038Q2M DAC with XLR outputs and this preamp is really good.

Screenshot_20230607_075551_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think it would be way clearer if there was a circuit diagram

but the specs on the njw and pga should outstrip the capabilites of the unit itself... ie. the vol. ctrl has more 'bit' than whatever the hell is coming out of the infineon chipset

basically if you feed the A300 it gets converted to PWM and the vol. and the dsp (if you so choose) is all done in the digital domain.

ignore the BT in the A300... also dont use the digital input

i always used my a300 a dual input power amp

ModDIY

I don't think it's done in the digital domain, the NJW1194 is a separate preamp and also it's not a DSP but rather an electronic preamp.

ModDIY

so probably A300 won't have any ADC process

Yes.

In addition to the Sabaj A20a I have a real digital amplifier, the Sabaj A30a, this one has an ADC for the RCA input, and has a DSP which serves as volume and digital control in the digital domain.

franking

Yes.

In addition to the Sabaj A20a I have a real digital amplifier, the Sabaj A30a, this one has an ADC for the RCA input, and has a DSP which serves as volume and digital control in the digital domain.
WOW Sabaj A30 had transparent road map about the ADC, love it
So weird that Digital signal also need to go through the DSD to PWM chip... Though i have no idea how they work
The post below said that the NJW1194 can do the tone control in analogue
https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...oxjie-a30-amplifier-review.17547/post-1310526
Probably the A300's road map might be : Digital input-> DAC -> NJW1194 and RCA -> NJW1194
Finally my question solved, thx guys

Last edited:

vjen

LOL definitely min-maxing here... but I bet it still sounds pretty decent at low-to-moderate volume.
I am on the market for amp and streamer... In the meantime, this little guy is filling the gap. Yes, it sounds okay and no problem to drive the R11.
@hawaii808 a bit advice, KEF The Reference, R, and Q are easy to drive even with a low-end, sub-$100 amp. The only requirement is to be able to drive 4 ohm which pretty much all the amps do. Begin with an amp within your budget then do upgrades overt time to enjoy the differences. It is a journey.

Last edited:
Top Bottom