• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Roon player getting too bloated and buggy too???

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is streaming services in the form of Qobuz and Tidal. I discover tons of new content this way through Roon. I play one album and then it switches to radio mode and most of the time finds music that is similar. So it is quite useful this way.

I agree that. But streaming services, like Tidal etc, also provide fairly good recommendations too. I think what Roon does very well is its interface (and of course its audio components too.)

Because streaming services still don't know how to cater the audiophile market, this is the space for Roon. But I think eventually this space will collapse, when streaming services get mature.

yowsa52

Forum Donor
I just downloaded Roon today for the first time. I mostly stream bluetooth or Chromecast. After listening to it all day it doesn't matter to me if it is "buggy" because it is like "heroin" to my ears. I will re-boot however many times it takes to get my fix. Please, take my money.
I have been lurking for awhile. This is my first post. amrim, fantastic job here. Thanks.

milw50717

Yey!

Another update has just been released - 1.7 build 505 - which requires another update to the database.

Maybe, I'll be able to successfully search for (and find) The The again ....

Edit - The database update was fairly short this time, just a couple of minutes.

Eirikur

We'll all be rooned said Hanrahan.

Even taken out of context it is strangely applicable to music reproduction:
The key refrain in the poem is "We'll all be rooned" (ruined) which has entered the Australian lexicon as a dismissive response to predictions of disasters or hard times, especially those out of the control of the speakers.

mechapreneur

I have a question for you Roon users: does Roon handle variance in loudness between streaming and local tracks?

I've spent an extraordinary amount of time (and automation) running mp3gain (aka aacgain, replaygain) across my entire library so I never have to touch the volume control unless I want it louder-quieter. From song to song, everything is level. Can Roon do that across the various different sources?

I've been thinking a player that can do that, remember settings, and possibly apply separate EQ per track (deadmau5 tends to be a bit hot) would be worth a subscription.

Ceburaska

Forum Donor

wtsz

Does contacting Roon suit anyone?
My wife has written several subscription messages and no response. Given the price, I'm a bit surprised

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I contacted them three times in November/December, they responded in a day or two

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Yes I’ve always heard from them within a day.

Milesian

I must admit to never having an issue with ROON. I took the plunge and purchased a lifetime subscription a couple of years ago and never looked back. I run it via ROCK on a dedicated NUC I7 and perhaps that’s why I’ve never had an issue. Running on a Windows device may introduce too many other variables and conflicts. Subjectively, I do believe my UltraRendu does sound better in mpd/dlna mode using Linn Kazoo, at least on native PCM music. However, I’ve recently been upsampling on ROON to DSD128. In this mode Tidal streaming has been superb.

wtsz

I must admit to never having an issue with ROON. I took the plunge and purchased a lifetime subscription a couple of years ago and never looked back. I run it via ROCK on a dedicated NUC I7 and perhaps that’s why I’ve never had an issue. Running on a Windows device may introduce too many other variables and conflicts. Subjectively, I do believe my UltraRendu does sound better in mpd/dlna mode using Linn Kazoo, at least on native PCM music. However, I’ve recently been upsampling on ROON to DSD128. In this mode Tidal streaming has been superb.
Ronn is very good, easy and friendly, although Daphile was the best in my system. Waiting for USBridge signature and check Moode.
I think everyone should try several playback systems before making a decision. I hope they reply to my wife and I listened to Roona.

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The amount of computing resources that Roon requires to manage my music library of circa 10,000 CDs and high-res albums is obscene and unnecessary. Its metadata for classical music is atrocious.

Reading of these new problems, I'm ecstatic that I did not shell out $500 for a "lifetime subscription," which is sort of like those multiyear gym memberships that one might buy only to see the gym declare bankruptcy a few months later.

I will keep rolling with the Windows version of Foobar, which runs splendidly under Wine on Mac and Linux.

Last edited:

captain paranoia

I've spent an extraordinary amount of time (and automation) running mp3gain (aka aacgain, replaygain) across my entire library

Whilst it might take a bit of CPU time, it should be the job of mere seconds to start such a volume analysis task in a decent media manager. In MediaMonkey, for instance, you simply select the entire library in the physical tree, do ctrl-A to select every track, then right-click/analyse volume. Leave the computer to get on with it without any further effort on your part.

tknx

I honestly can't see how a music file management system can be on a subscription model. Unlike streaming services, AI recommendation is just unnecessary.

As it really wants to turn to subscription-only model, they do need to create some new features, no matter how unnecessary they are...

Agreed. This will lead to bloat as they continually have to add features to justify the subscription. I was eyeing them, but my wife likes Spotify so we stayed away. I keep my eyes on Mopidy, Max2Play, Roon, Volumio, and others in the space (e.g., Strobe that seems to be a one man project) but nothing seems worth the hassle for me right now.

I am running a modified slimserver package because I have a centrally wired audio system and this one lets me split up sound cards easily into multiple zones (i. e. I have 3 7.1 zones -> 24 channels -> split up into stereo and mono zones as needed. But I would prefer something that was more actively developed and modern-architected. Now just to get convolution working...

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've also been having issues lately with no changes to my network configuration or devices.
1. Roon abruptly stopped seeing chromecast audio devices (my Android phone could see them). This was a big disruption for me as I use this heavily.
2. Roon abruptly stopped seeing my local audio devices on my main PC
3. Android Roon app keeps crashing.

I tried the usual restarts, reinstalls, etc. Nothing. And then a day later, chromecast devices now show up. Still can't see the local devices which is a pain. I now have to use another app to play music on my main PC.

@amirm did you find a resolution for #2?

Alobar

Forum Donor
Roon runs like the flu on my setup, and plan to be giving it the axe after my year is up. Granted my system is not as optimized as Roon wants, but I never have anything nearly as glitchy with any of my other windows software, and that includes Qobuz app which I use for streaming these days. JRiver just flows like a mountain stream in comparison to roon. Yeah I think Roon is the pinnacle of bloat, it's interface is frustrating to navigate, and in this day and age I just expect more from a company wanting to tap my card every year for $120.

The idea that Roon is created by music lovers for music lovers is nice, but they need to hire some software types to make it work!

Top Bottom