• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Roon player getting too bloated and buggy too???

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Your experience doesn't reflect mine but there are ciearly quality issues across the user base. However, we need to take care concluding they have financial stability issues.
Of course, if the performance issues become too severe and widespread, the finances will suffer as users don't resubscribe but I don't think either of us knows the company well enough to say that now.
They might reduce their business to selling over-priced Linux Audio-blocks only and drop the PC market, which would be a shame and an argument for getting a permanent license soon. Dirac dropped the PC market too...

Last edited:

dkinric

I guess everybody has different experiences. My Roon is rock stable and I run it on a simple Win10 PC. I have never seen a piece of software where everything is done so nice and neat and thoughtful. Just yesterday I hooked up a couple of IPhones and pads with attached speakers, an Raspi4 and another two WinPC for a multi room test, adjusting individual delay settings - marvelous. Working on the core from an Ipad and streaming via another device is simply great.The problem is the horrible Windows landscape that makes any professional use away from systems under admin lockdown a nightmare.
This is my experience as well. I use it almost every day, new build Windows 10 PC, run from an iPad. Rock solid, never any issues, marvelous software. I wonder what is causing some to have problems...

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
This is my experience as well. I use it almost every day, new build Windows 10 PC, run from an iPad. Rock solid, never any issues, marvelous software. I wonder what is causing some to have problems...
It is not the user. The system simply allows too many drivers, add-ons and software to be loaded and nobody can design a system that can cope with all these traps. The IPhone is the opposite. There seems not to be a silver bullet. A solution could be, to have many Win10 systems: one for private-office, one for photo&video, one for audio, one fore home-automatization., one for gaming, one for programming... That defeats the idea of a multipurpose CPU/system and is hence the opposite of what the PC promises to be.

SKBubba

It is not the user. The system simply allows too many drivers, add-ons and software to be loaded and nobody can design a system that can cope with all these traps. The IPhone is the opposite. There seems not to be a silver bullet. A solution could be, to have many Win10 systems: one for private-office, one for photo&video, one for audio, one fore home-automatization., one for gaming, one for programming... That defeats the idea of a multipurpose CPU/system and is hence the opposite of what the PC promises to be.

I use Windows core and endpoints on wired network for roon for a couple of years, no problems. My complaints are mainly about usability and weird, unnecessary changes to displays, ui, etc., and failure to address long-standing feature requests and usability issues.

Then in the past couple of days the other shoe dropped and the latest roon update has brought the instability issues to my doorstep. Yes there have been windows updates, but JRiver and Qobuz desktop still work fine, as does every one of my other apps. I guess it was bound to happen. Their support forum is blowing up with weird stuff all over the map. Guess I should have waved the rubber chicken and chanted mantras before installing the update.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

JohnKay

I've just looked at recent activity there. Not sure I see an explosion of anything. Did I miss something?

I had a quick scan through the support category and it appears the last 3 days (following the new build release) show close to 280 support tickets (both new and updated). Same 3 day periods in previous weeks have about a quarter of that.
Not a rigorous assessment but the impression is that of a sudden influx of support tickets.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a quick scan through the support category and it appears the last 3 days (following the new build release) show close to 280 support tickets (both new and updated). Same 3 day periods in previous weeks have about a quarter of that.
Not a rigorous assessment but the impression is that of a sudden influx of support tickets.

Which is far from great. Nobody wants updates that cause problems for a portion of the user base, but that seems to be the way of it with so many systems. But when I've looked at the posts from last 4 hours or so, most of those that are update related seem to be minor in nature rather than full on breakages. Again, not ideal, but there is a suggestion on here it indicates structural problems with the company. That is not my take.

PS- Since the previous update Ive had the "tidal login invalid" message every time I launch Roon, meaning i have to re-link. Its a faff, but I wouldnt think it meant the company was fundamentally struggling.

Last edited:

JohnKay

Which is far from great. Nobody wants updates that cause problems for a portion of the user base, but that seems to be the way of it with so many systems. But when I've looked at the posts from last 4 hours or so, most of those that are update related seem to be minor in nature rather than full on breakages. Again, not ideal, but there is a suggestion on here it indicates structural problems with the company. That is not my take.

I agree... there does appear to be a big spike in support tickets but that is not (in itself) an indication of structural problems. It does point to bugs present in the update and it does mean there is pressure in customer support to address these. They may be able to handle it fine, not sure.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree... there does appear to be a big spike in support tickets but that is not (in itself) an indication of structural problems. It does point to bugs present in the update and it does mean there is pressure in customer support to address these. They may be able to handle it fine, not sure.

One hopes so. I might be wrong, but I think if Roon switches off at their end, we basically have nothing locally . (based on launching when internet down) . Hence my reluctance to see a rapid exiting of customers or dropped renewals

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
It seems that a stand-alone version that does everything on the PC is no longer available since over one year. Only software to control other boxes’ Dirac. In one forum I read, that this because they were not willing to support PCs anymore. I believe it may have to do with people hacking expensive licenses too.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
https://live.dirac.com/download/

Looks like Dirac Live Processor for both Windows and MacOS is available for download.
It is only a VST plug-in now which is a big step backward from previous version which would install as a virtual sound interface. My favorite player for example (Roon) does not support VST so it is big problem for me.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It is only a VST plug-in now which is a big step backward from previous version which would install as a virtual sound interface. My favorite player for example (Roon) does not support VST so it is big problem for me.
I have been using it as a VST plug-in for years and prefer it. Roon won't (never did) support that.

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
So, if I installed one of the free VST hosts, I could buy and install the Dirac plugin? Are the costs similar to the old full PC version? If I then de-embedded Spdif from Roon’s Pc-HDMI output, I could try and build a dedicated PC with an Spdif input as Dirac processor? Or may be something simpler...

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
So, if I installed one of the free VST hosts, I could buy and install the Dirac plugin?
I would guess so but I have not tried to do so.
Are the costs similar to the old full PC version?
AFAIK, if you purchased the original DL, you can get a free upgrade to DL3.
If I then de-embedded Spdif from Roon’s Pc-HDMI output, I could try and build a dedicated PC with an Spdif input as Dirac processor? Or may be something simpler...
I guess so. :rolleyes:

JoachimStrobel

Forum Donor
I would guess so but I have not tried to do so.

AFAIK, if you purchased the original DL, you can get a free upgrade to DL3.

I guess so. :rolleyes:

So sorry, you already touched on all that in another thread already:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/dirac-not-available-any-more.8004/

It seems that Roon can play into Jriver, hence Dirac should then work too as it works a VST plugin in Jriver. Btw, Dirac VST Stereo is 400 Usd, Mch 500Usd (which is cheaper than the old stand-alone software)

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
It seems that Roon can play into Jriver, hence Dirac should then work too as it works a VST plugin in Jriver. Btw, Dirac VST Stereo is 400 Usd, Mch 500Usd (which cheaper than the old stand-alone software)
Not if you had already bought the "old stand-alone software."o_O

Top Bottom