• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is REL being more 'musical' than SVS a myth, or is there some real science behind this?

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In europe, yes. I haven't heard of those. Thanks. Will look into them and their availabilty.
I am in Europe, but not part of European Union, so customs, taxes and shipping is a bitch.
Check Arendal, they're pretty competitive when it comes to shipping.

Matt0305

My previous REL R328 had a 10" driver and a 12" passive radiator. When pushed too hard the passive radiator was the first thing to complain, and made an annoying rattle. I like the look of thier subs, they obviously put a lot of effort into thier build quality, and in person they are impressive looking. Maybe thier new models measure better? With a flatter frequency response and the easy integration with the high level connection I could see REL being a decent (but overpriced) choice for 2 channel listening.

Kachda

Forum Donor
You seems to forget about the weight of the subs.

I have owned 8", 10" and 12" subs that are light weight (less than 40 lbs) and those shake/vibrate a lot when go loud. Clarity was lacking. If you check the weight of many of SVS subs, you will again see many light weight subs. Rel offers solidly build subs that weigh more, thus offer potentially much better clarity when go loud.
If weight is a problem just put a cinder box on the sub.

Matt0305

My SVS PC2000 Pro does not move at all when playing at high volume. The only thing adding to distortion is my wife's pictures and decorations. I had to apply felt tape to the back of them to stop them from vibrating against the wall.

Blaspheme

I remember getting fairly excited back in 2019 after reading a favourable review (in Stereophile with in room FR graphs on the active crossover page) using a pair of SVS SB-3000 @ USD999 each. Sold. But over here they were AUD2799, more than double the exchange rate price. GST, duty etc I get, but egregious markups not so much. I've had a slightly jaundiced view of SVS marketing/distribution since then.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I remember getting fairly excited after reading a favourable review (in Stereophile with in room FR graphs on the active crossover page) using a pair of SVS SB-3000 @ USD999 each. Sold. But over here they were AUD2799, more than double the exchange rate price. GST, duty etc I get, but egregious markups not so much. I've had a jaundiced view of SVS marketing since then.

You're reading a magazine based on marketing to a great extreme but have a jaundiced view of what SVS does (while I agree their marketing is a bit unctuous)?

Everett T

Forum Donor
I remember getting fairly excited after reading a favourable review (in Stereophile with in room FR graphs on the active crossover page) using a pair of SVS SB-3000 @ USD999 each. Sold. But over here they were AUD2799, more than double the exchange rate price. GST, duty etc I get, but egregious markups not so much. I've had a jaundiced view of SVS marketing since then.
I wouldn't blame SVS, and would look to DIY if money is an issue. Hopefully there are plenty of drivers available.

Blaspheme

You're reading a magazine based on marketing to a great extreme but have a jaundiced view of what SVS does (while I agree their marketing is a bit unctuous)?
The source of the review was incidental, the link was for reference. The review in this case was informative (read it yourself, or not). I edited the post to read marketing/distribution because it was the price disparity (not SVS marketing in general) that led to my response (I mentally allow for exchange rate plus GST, plus a bit more, this was roughly double that).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The source of the review was incidental, the link was for reference. The review in this case was informative (read it yourself, or not). I edited the post to read marketing/distribution because it was the price disparity (not SVS marketing in general) that led to my response (I mentally allow for exchange rate plus GST, plus a bit more, this was roughly double that).

Gotcha. Nah, don't need to review more sub reviews :) It's tough sub-wise down where you are.....

Blaspheme

I wouldn't blame SVS, and would look to DIY if money is an issue. Hopefully there are plenty of drivers available.
I expect SVS make their arrangements with their distributors for each market (like anyone else). A few manufacturers recently have adopted parity pricing policies, rather than gouging antipodeans, which I appreciate.

I'm only moderately price sensitive, but that one (or two, actually) went from buy to think about it with the unanticipated jump. Since you mentioned DIY, I've recently been musing about making a RiPol. It's a way down on my todo list though.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I expect SVS make their arrangements with their distributors for each market (like anyone else). A few manufacturers recently have adopted parity pricing policies, rather than gouging antipodeans, which I appreciate.

I'm only moderately price sensitive, but that one (or two, actually) went from buy to think about it with the unanticipated jump. Since you mentioned DIY, I've recently been musing about making a RiPol. It's a way down on my todo list though.

DIY is a good way to go. Interesting thread when I went looking https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/diy-ripole-subs.7575/

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The reason SVS subs are so popular is that they deliver fantastic performance at a decent price. They are not audio jewelry. For those that want looks more than performance, REL is the way to go. They charge A LOT for the great looks of their subs. But, if that is what the buyer wants then they are a happy REL customer. SVS subs measure very well. Both SVS and Rythmic make fantastic high performance subs that will do Home Theater (down to 25hz) at awesome prices. Lets face it, any sub that is not for two channel only should do 25hz very well. Subs that fall apart below 30hz are just not going to cut it for serious home theater. All subs do 40hz and up very well, even the $299 ones. Just sayin......

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Oh and I wanted to say, it's not like I have an opinion or anything! :)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The reason SVS subs are so popular is that they deliver fantastic performance at a decent price. They are not audio jewelry. For those that want looks more than performance, REL is the way to go. They charge A LOT for the great looks of their subs. But, if that is what the buyer wants then they are a happy REL customer. SVS subs measure very well. Both SVS and Rythmic make fantastic high performance subs that will do Home Theater (down to 25hz) at awesome prices. Lets face it, any sub that is not for two channel only should do 25hz very well. Subs that fall apart below 30hz are just not going to cut it for serious home theater. All subs do 40hz and up very well, even the $299 ones. Just sayin......

Or not....that Rel logo they splash everywhere plus the footings are kinda fugly :) Lots of good finishes on subs available from many vendors of capable subs....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I got my (2) SVS SB2000's on closeout sale for $500 each.
Very pleased with them.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
That is a solid deal
I wish that deal was still available, I'd get 2 more and stack them for more power in the bottom octive.
Not that I really need any more spl but cutting distortion might be a welcome improvement.
Then again, maybe not. But at this point what's another $1k LOL

Top Bottom