• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Pono NoMo?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
As the Pono music store remains closed, Neil's music is once again available from all the standard streaming and download providers. Maybe if he hadn't turned off the serious community with the silly celeb friends climbing out of cars and gushing over the huge improvement in SQ from a HDA file playback? Rock and Roll may never die, but it looks like Rigor Mor'tis has set in for Pono.
http://www.showbiz411.com/2016/11/0...-puts-his-music-back-on-spotify-other-outlets

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The whole idea of building a portable music player to compete with likes of Apple and every phone out there was silly and misguided from the start.

Despite tons of flaws I was a fan of his music service however because it had the cheapest prices of any store out there. It often beat the price of CD or had albums that had gone out of print on CD.

The message on the web site says this now:

upload_2016-11-5_10-20-24.png

I hope they do find someone to pick them up and keep the prices low as they had.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I have two Neil Young CDs. After the Gold Rush, which reminds me of some youthful days of indiscretion, and one that came from a bargain bin, Landing on Water, which I will listen to now since I can't remember anything notable about it at all.

---

So I listened to a couple of tracks of it so far. One thing notable is an odd imbalance in the low frequency and sub-sonic roll-off. The left channel is steeper/quieter, than the right.

upload_2016-11-6_23-42-22.png

Nope, I'm wrong, had a misconfiguration sneak in on REW. Saw the same thing on a disc of Okinawan Folk Music.

I did finish the Neil Young CD, and have put it back in the rack until such time as I can't remember what's on it again.

Last edited:
OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I always thought CSN&Y was better without him. :p

ceedee

I'm not in the market for hi-res, but I do think it's interesting that they had some out-of-print recordings that were otherwise unavailable. That's nice, as is the good pricing on regular CD-quality downloads.

On one hand, I hope they get it together (competition is a good thing). On the other hand, I reflect on all of the complete bullcrap Neil Young has put forth about sound quality, and the many audiophile myths that he has propagated. I would have supported him if he had focused on the quality of mastering and the effect of the loudness wars on sound quality. Instead, he focuses on the bit depth and sample rate of the distribution file, which on its own makes very little difference to the sound quality (if any)...especially not with Harvest from 1972, featured in the ads playing on the device.

He has railed against the sound quality of iTunes files, but IMO Apple has done more for sound quality than Neil Young has. For one thing, their Mastered for iTunes program encourages good mastering practices in the production of the 256 kbps AAC files. Also, Apple Music Radio utilizes loudness normalization which is at least a step in the right direction against the loudness wars.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
loudness normalization

How does that work? I read about it and filed it... Not being a streamer (yet) or an Apple fan (since XP arrived on PCs).

ceedee

How does that work? I read about it and filed it... Not being a streamer (yet) or an Apple fan (since XP arrived on PCs).
I think it's based on their "Sound Check" feature in iTunes (works on PC and iOS as well). It's similar to ReplayGain, which calculates the perceived loudness of a track compared to the target of 89 dB SPL. In both systems, the resulting offset is stored in the metadata and applied on playback. ReplayGain also calculates the waveform peak value so that it can protect from clipping; not sure if Sound Check does that.

Once consequence is that highly compressed music will tend to sound wimpy in comparison to something with more dynamic range, when they are both adjusted to the same perceived volume.

There were a few articles about this a couple of years back, probably as streaming became more popular, such as this one in Sound on Sound. An excerpt:

The key to [Bob] Katz's claim is an ongoing industry shift into a 'loudness normalisation realm', in which the replay level of individual tracks is adjusted automatically to ensure they all have the same overall perceived loudness. This already happens to some extent on commercial broadcast radio, for example, but the new technology makes it practical to employ it in Internet music-streaming services and, crucially, personal music players too. Within a loudness-normalisation environment, it becomes impossible to make any one track appear to sound louder, overall, than any other, so mastering to maximise loudness inherently becomes completely futile.

A second aspect to this paradigm shift is that the kind of hyper-compressed material which the loudness wars encourage ends up sounding very flat, lifeless and even boring when compared with tracks which retain some musical dynamics — and the loudness-normalisation world really encourages and accommodates the use of musical dynamics.

So, in loudness-normalised environments — which is likely to include the vast majority of music replay systems within the next year or two — the use of heavy compression and limiting to make tracks sound loud will no longer work. Each track is balanced automatically to have the same overall loudness as every other track, and hyper-compressed material actually ends up sounding flat, weak and uninteresting compared with more naturally dynamic material.

Katz argues that the universal adoption of the loudness-normalisation paradigm in the consumer market will inevitably create a strong disincentive for the use of hyper-compression, and instead encourage music creators to once again mix and master their music to retain musical dynamics and transients. If this proves to be the case then the loudness wars may indeed be over, at last... but it will be a while before the last skirmishes are fought!

Top Bottom