• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Oppo HA-1 still relevant to be used as DAC?

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Because you're internet bullies? Also 1k posts in less than 1 year, 4k in less than 3 years...I think it's fair to assume you guys lack good social skills.

Yeah...

I think you could use a little break. Maybe you'll do more reading and less proclaiming.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's actually fascinating how power amplification has become commodified. As an audio guy I thought I'd never see it, but we have 'hifi' amps which use the same boards and in some cases the same power supplies as found in a high end AVR, or plate amplifier for an active monitor, or a live sound amp.

I think Fender uses icePower modules in some of their guitar amps now. icePower, Hypex, Pascal and Purefi have really transformed the amplifier space.

OP
V

vladc77

Use the X4700 as you already have it. As stated before by others and backed by hard facts. No audibility/ sound improvements beyond. Posters here claiming otherwise have so far failed to produce any hard evidence to their unlikely claims.
HarmonicTHD, I like x4700 but for some reason Denon PMA 600NE sounds considerably better with KLM Model 5. I prefer PMA 600NE for listening music and use x4700 for other plenty of options this AVR provides. I was impressed with the sound quality improvement that much that decided to learn what else can be done to get even better sound. So, I am coming to a conclusion based on statements left here about building a great hifi audio system that 80% of success comes to speakers, 19.5% to amplifier and 0.5% to DAC. Now, I am just puzzled to comprehend why some proudly spend 3k+ for sophisticated DACs which offer so minimal improvement.

DonR

Major Contributor
As your speakers are 6-ohm nominal with a 4-ohm minimum, is the X4700 set for 4-6ohm loudspeakers?

Trell

Major Contributor
As your speakers are 6-ohm nominal with a 4-ohm minimum, is the X4700 set for 4-6ohm loudspeakers?

If he has done that it could explain his dissatisfaction as this severely limits the power output.

I’ve the 2015 model Denon AVR-X4200W with 4 Ohm speakers in a 5.1 setup that works just fine after all these years in daily use. The impedance switch is set to 8 Ohm but I do have fans on top of the receiver.

OP
V

vladc77

Sure, I tried 6 ohm setting with KLH Model 5. I also used x4700 with B&W DM603 S2 speakers set to 8 ohm. Sound was OK to my ears until I tried Denon PMA 600NE with KLH Model 5 combo.

Top Bottom