• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Oppo HA-1 still relevant to be used as DAC?

vladc77

Hello all,

I am glad I found this forum and hope you can help me to decide either I will get any audible benefit of upgrading my current setup.

I am currently use Oppo HA-1 as headphone amplifier and as a DAC source for Denon PMA 600NE Integrated Amplifier to drive KLH Model 5 and sometime Klipsch PM500M. I like this little amplifier since the sound is really good to my ears. Denon's internal DAC sounds almost the same as Oppo HA1 with a slight edge to Oppo HA-1. Aa result, I am looking for an advise for DAC upgrading with something like Denafrips ARES II or RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I am wondering if upgrading from older DAC as Oppo HA-1 will bring a significant sound quality improvement that will be noticeable. Any recommendation are highly appreciated.

OP
V

vladc77

Most DACs are better than human hearing so I wouldn't expect any difference.
Yes, it is a logical assumption. I did not find a huge difference between internal Denon's DAC and Oppo HA1 while Oppo is more than twice expensive. Do you think that imagination and self-hypnosis plays the major role in finding differences between various DACs?

Robocop

Yes I would think your Oppo HA1 is about 8 years old. It would be worth upgrading to something like the Sabaj A20d this has had great reviews check out forums on ACR and Archimago's comprehensive review(it has USBC input). Also the SMLS M500 MKIII(has USBB input) which is so new it hasn't had a review yet. The MKII has reviewed well here on ACR. I personally find RME's price too much(If you want EQ its better at the source). You don't need to go over $500US to get a better Dac. Both these Dac's can handle PCM up to 32/768 and DSD. Dac's have made progress in 8 years you should hear an audible improvement certainly over the Oppo.

DonR

Major Contributor
Yes I would think your Oppo HA1 is about 8 years old. It would be worth upgrading to something like the Sabaj A20d this has had great reviews check out forums on ACR and Archimago's comprehensive review(it has USBC input). Also the SMLS M500 MKIII(has USBB input) which is so new it hasn't had a review yet. The MKII has reviewed well here on ACR. I personally find RME's price too much(If you want EQ its better at the source). You don't need to go over $500US to get a better Dac. Both these Dac's can handle PCM up to 32/768 and DSD. Dac's have made progress in 8 years you should hear an audible improvement certainly over the Oppo.
Unlikely unless you have exceptional hearing.

Robocop

Dacs have made considerable improvements since the Oppo HA1 was released. For one it has the old Sabre 9018 chips easy to hear a difference between this old bright sounding chip and the latest 9038PRO. The Oppo only processes to 24/384, new Dacs 24/768. USB inputs now have much improved input circuitry this alone is worth having over old USB inputs. Not to mention better chips, clocks and power supplies. Design of circuitry has steadily improved since 2014. Not to mention improved measurements as witnessed on this web site. Certainly amongst new devices audible differences are difficult to discern.

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
Dacs have made considerable improvements since the Oppo HA1 was released. For one it has the old Sabre 9018 chips easy to hear a difference between this old bright sounding chip and the latest 9038PRO. The Oppo only processes to 24/384, new Dacs 24/768. USB inputs now have much improved input circuitry this alone is worth having over old USB inputs. Not to mention better chips, clocks and power supplies. Design of circuitry has steadily improved since 2014. Not to mention improved measurements as witnessed on this web site. Certainly amongst new devices audible differences are difficult to discern.
Nobody... absolutely nobody can hear the difference between 384 and 768. I doubt anyone can reliably pick out 192 from 96. USB is digital and the transfer of data has not changed in 8 years. It still works. Clocks are the same, jitter issues were resolved decades ago.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I am currently use Oppo HA-1 as headphone amplifier and as a DAC source
Just checking you've seen the review here... performs fairly well, although some possible issues with the volume control;
Here are some basic measurements of the PMA600NE;

JSmith

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Yes, it is a logical assumption. I did not find a huge difference between internal Denon's DAC and Oppo HA1 while Oppo is more than twice expensive. Do you think that imagination and self-hypnosis plays the major role in finding differences between various DACs?
Price causes an extreme bias in perception.

Trell

Major Contributor

A "bright sounding chip"? Really?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you serious?

Ryeno

I am currently use Oppo HA-1 as headphone amplifier and as a DAC source for Denon PMA 600NE Integrated Amplifier to drive KLH Model 5 and sometime Klipsch PM500M. I like this little amplifier since the sound is really good to my ears. Denon's internal DAC sounds almost the same as Oppo HA1 with a slight edge to Oppo HA-1. Aa result, I am looking for an advise for DAC upgrading with something like Denafrips ARES II or RME ADI-2 DAC FS. I am wondering if upgrading from older DAC as Oppo HA-1 will bring a significant sound quality improvement that will be noticeable. Any recommendation are highly appreciated.
In this case, you should upgrade your amp. I've never used this amplifier but the specs don't seem amazing and the price point is low so I would assume it's a low to mid-range amp. Buy a new amplifier if you want to spend $$$ or buy a good inexpensive vintage amplifier to save money.

OP
V

vladc77

In this case, you should upgrade your amp. I've never used this amplifier but the specs don't seem amazing and the price point is low so I would assume it's a low to mid-range amp. Buy a new amplifier if you want to spend $$$ or buy a good inexpensive vintage amplifier to save money.
Thank you for the tip! I am happy with the sound but of course there are better options too. I am using it in a small room and not sure I will need much more powerful amplifier. Nevertheless, I am considering getting Technics SU-G700M2 but not confident about that yet. In comparison, I have Denon AVRX4700H receiver but Denon PMA 600NE sounds way better with KLM Model 5.

Ryeno

Thank you for the tip! I am happy with the sound but of course there are better options too. I am using it in a small room and not sure I will need much more powerful amplifier. Nevertheless, I am considering getting Technics SU-G700M2 but not confident about that yet. In comparison, I have Denon AVRX4700H receiver but Denon PMA 600NE sounds way better with KLM Model 5.
It's not necessarily about power but sound quality. I upgraded to a vintage Yamaha ToP-ART amplifier similar to a Yamaha R-S700 and I noticed a difference in audio quality from my previous amplifier. I think you would notice a difference in audio quality with the Technics SU-G700M2.

The Denon AVRX4700H is only $2,100 for a 9 channels + a bunch of modern codecs; $233/channel. My AVR is $4,724.06 after inflation for 5+2 channels and only DD/DTS; ~675-783/channel. So I wouldn't expect the AVRX4700H to sound great because you're paying close to 1/3rd per channel. Similarly, the Denon PMA 600NE is 250/per channel so it makes sense that it'll sound better. Oblviously when you get into high-end amplifiers these metrics won't hold because you're paying a brand premium but under than ~5k price point and with Class AB you can pretty much assume that the more you spend, the better the quality will be, albeit with diminishing returns.

The Denon PMA 600NE has a direct mode to bypass the balance controls but if you want to use an external dac and pre amp then ideally you want either a pure power amplifier or an integrated amplifier with main input that bypasses the entire pre-amp section including the volume knob like the R-S700.

I quickly did some research on the Technics SU-G700M2. It's not the best fit for an audiophile setup with external DAC because it digitizes all analog inputs so you should use the integrated digital inputs without an external DAC. With that said, people say it sounds good.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Oblviously when you get into high-end amplifiers these metrics won't hold because you're paying a brand premium but under than ~5k price point and with Class AB you can pretty much assume that the more you spend, the better the quality will be, albeit with diminishing returns.
Obliviously seems more correct than obviously for this statement.

Top Bottom