• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Old Music Killing New Music?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
... :mad:

What a very European thing to post, LOL
I really have no idea what that had to do with what I'd said. But since your only 35 I'll give you a pass.

Another youngster with more to defend than think.
There's more pure garbage on the air/net waves than any time in history, that parts right. But very very little of it of any quality. Make a bunch of noise and holler, "look at me mom, I'm a museiitian. LOL

:facepalm:
Boomers gotta boom, eh?

Last edited:

Sombreuil

Would it be possible, for once, to have a thread where you guys don't insult each other?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would it be possible, for once, to have a thread where you guys don't insult each other?
The boomer and the younger generation derogatory terms are just that and need to stop. Just need to stop. I know young and old alike and they insult the other generations. Nobody is to blame it is just stupid.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You all have to lighten up and understand the difference between bustin balls and real insults.
If you hung out with my crowd you'd think we all hated each other.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know I’m the strange duck here but I listen to almost exclusively new music. I cringe when I hear Queen, AC/DC and the like.

Jackpine

Something I find amusing is that my nephews 16 and 19 will confuse music and fashion from the sixties and eighties with each other.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Another youngster with more to defend than think.
Are you calling me a youngster. If 1950 is the year of your birth we could have gone to school together, though I would be your junior by a few years. :D

There is a lot of crappy music but still more good stuff than ever IMO. Good not great yet, greatness stands the test of time. Further, there are many more ways to hear and find it if one has an open mind, an internet connection and and willing to work to get past the bad stuff. In my teenage years there were three radio stations that were worth listening to and that was it for finding music.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Me too! I find pink noise very soothing, but white noise? Not so much. :D

I sometimes rock out to stuff made with 8-bit trackers. I bet @Sal1950 would rather jump head first into a wood chipper than listen to that.

Real instruments are also great, but they don't automatically make music more enjoyable.

Hansi Hinterseer probably has extremely talented musicians playing for him, but his music is the stuff that makes me want to take a head dive into a wood chipper :D

JaccoW

Regretting looking that up.
Never been a fan of Schlager music either and pretty much any European country has a version of it, mostly popular amongst older (white) people.
There is also lots of rip-offs borrowing of melodies of popular songs in other countries with lyrics in the local language.

I would say that many artists that are "World famous in their home country" fall under this category.
The last time the Netherlands sent an artist like this to the Eurovision Song Festival we didn't even qualify. Half the population loves this kind of music. The other half hates it with a passion.

And just in case you think this is a uniquely European thing, Country music is the American equivalent.
British 'pop' is just as cringeworthy but exactly the same kind of music:

EDIT:
Here is one of the best known songs by Andre Hazes, 'Zij gelooft in mij' (Translation: She believes in me). This fat piece of shit died back in 2004 and last year in 2021 it came out he groomed and had sex with the girl who later became his wife at the age of 15 when he was 34. But it started when she was 12. Her parents were part of his fanclub. Lots of people still love his songs though. Keep in mind it is almost a literal copy of Kenny Rogers' Steve Gibb's 'She believes in me' but Hazes has a history of uncredited covers so people think he was brilliant.

EDIT2: And some Korean examples:

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Never been a fan of Schlager music either and pretty much any European country has a version of it, mostly popular amongst older (white) people.
There is also lots of rip-offs borrowing of melodies of popular songs in other countries with lyrics in the local language.

I would say that many artists that are "World famous in their home country" fall under this category.
The last time the Netherlands sent an artist like this to the Eurovision Song Festival we didn't even qualify. Half the population loves this kind of music. The other half hates it with a passion.

And just in case you think this is a uniquely European thing, Country music is the American equivalent.

EDIT:
Here is one of the best known songs by Andre Hazes, 'Zij gelooft in mij' (Translation: She believes in me). This fat piece of shit died back in 2004 and last year in 2021 it came out he groomed and had sex with the girl who later became his wife at the age of 15 when he was 34. Lots of people still love his songs though. Keep in mind it is almost a literal copy of Kenny Rogers' Steve Gibb's 'She believes in me' but Hazes has a history of illegal covers.

Another name for that kind of music is Elevator music.

JaccoW

Another name for that kind of music is Elevator music.
Isn't Muzak a different kind of music? More like a weak bossanova?
And some of those are actually great. The Sims 1 OST is the evolved version of that and is brilliant background music.

Ataraxia

I'm developing music ADHD which is like infinite scroll addiction.

Sometimes I wonder if it would be better to go back to purchase of hard media or FLAC files for music and Blueray 4K for movies. They are making content faster than is reasonable to consume. With hard media it sort of returns a normal and digestible recurring consumption pattern that is probably more healthy. YMMV

Axo1989

Major Contributor

EDIT:
Here is one of the best known songs by Andre Hazes, 'Zij gelooft in mij' (Translation: She believes in me). This fat piece of shit died back in 2004 and last year in 2021 it came out he groomed and had sex with the girl who later became his wife at the age of 15 when he was 34. But it started when she was 12. Her parents were part of his fanclub. Lots of people still love his songs though. Keep in mind it is almost a literal copy of Kenny Rogers' Steve Gibb's 'She believes in me' but Hazes has a history of uncredited covers so people think he was brilliant.

EDIT2: And some Korean examples:
I am further enlightened, thank you (I think).

André Hazes video was at least an order of magnitude worse than I anticipated: corpulent sweaty narcissism. But my tastes don't lean to schlager anyway (easy listening would be more like Grizzly Bear or Tame Impala). Oddly, an Australian schlager-equivalent Rolf Harris just came up in another thread: popular and utterly shit music (but at least he was jailed for his teeny-diddling).

On a lighter note, now I can characterise Diana Krall's output: audiophile-schlager.

Trell

Major Contributor
I am further enlightened, thank you (I think).

André Hazes video was at least an order of magnitude worse than I anticipated: corpulent sweaty narcissism. But my tastes don't lean to schlager anyway (easy listening would be more like Grizzly Bear or Tame Impala). Oddly, an Australian schlager-equivalent Rolf Harris just came up in another thread: popular and utterly shit music (but at least he was jailed for his teeny-diddling).

On a lighter note, now I can characterise Diana Krall's output: audiophile-schlager.

I have only one SACD (The Look of Love, 2002) from her and it is very boring.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I'm developing music ADHD which is like infinite scroll addiction.

... They are making content faster than is reasonable to consume. ...
Much more rewording than doom-scrolling though !!

Yes my streaming library (ie, music I've "added" as a reminder to listen to later) often outpaces my actual listening time.

Ataraxia

Much more rewording than doom-scrolling though !!

Yes my streaming library (ie, music I've "added" as a reminder to listen to later) often outpaces my actual listening time.

Doom scrolling, lol! :)

Top Bottom