• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my TV delivering enough power to my DT990 ?

Peter2448

A week ago I have begun to play The Last of Us 2 and in the audio settings I saw options for the audio dynamic range (midnight, minimun,...,wide,maximum) and googled a bit (I never heard of this before, I knew HDR) and now I think to understand why everyone is recommending to have a bit headroom in terms of volume.

I have understanded this as follows:

If I play a game with a wide audio dynamic range, than different sounds will be spread further apart in terms of loudness. Gunshots or explosions nearby are much much louder than the voice of the characters or the footsteps. When you need to increase the volume of your device (TV, Notebook, Smartphone) to like 95% to hear the "normal" sounds(voice, footsteps, wind, birds,...) than the problem is that your device likely hasn't enough power to accuratly reproduce the sound of gunshots or an explosion nearby or "loud" sounds in general.

I have my DT990 attached to my Sony TV and while playing my volume level is about 30 of 100. Can I assume that with my DT990 attached to my TV I have enough headroom in terms of volume so that every sound should be accuratly reproduced no matter how loud it is ingame ?

DeepFried

I doubt its possible to say without having the audio out measurements for that TV. In absence of that I guess the question is: can the sound signature of the headphones be distorted by a source even if its driving them to good volumes?

You don't say which DT990's you have, the impedance rating may be useful to know. but in the absence of all the needed facts, I guess we can say, yes, its possible there could be problems with the sound even if you get good volume. You could have impedance mismatch (this seems unlikely), you could have adequate power for some of the frequency range of the headphones but not the whole range (as I understand it the lower frequencies tend to need more power).

Of course headphones themselves have a sound signature, so when you say 'accurately reproduced' you need to realise that you could have two different pairs of headphones, both driven well by the source, and what you're listening to could sound very different on each of them.

OP
P

Peter2448

I have the DT990 Black Edition (non Pro) with 250 Ohm.

In absence of that I guess the question is: can the sound signature of the headphones be distorted by a source even if its driving them to good volumes?

In general, yes, this is my question. In a Youtube-Video someone said, that distortion can occur, when you are driving your headphones with such a high volume, that the device isn't capable of delivering the "loud sounds" because there is no more power left to reproduce them because you are already on the upper bound of the possible volume.

Lambda

Major Contributor
250Ohm is relatively high therfore they don’t need a lot of current an are easy to drive.
If its loud enough your good.

Top Bottom