• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my Topping D50 faulty?

Tod

Hello, this is my first post.

After reading the reviews here, I have recently changed my DAC to a Topping D50. This is connected via USB to a headless Mac Mini (mid 2011, Mac OS 10.10.5) playing JRiver Media Center 21, controlled remotely from an iPad. The D50 sounds great, but I have an intermittent fault: several times in the first two weeks, I have experienced severe distortion at the start of a listening session. The sound is present but barely audible over the noise. This is corrected by rebooting either the Mac or the DAC, but it's not ideal. I can't identify if the cause is a fault with the DAC itself, or an incompatibility issue with either the Mac OS or JRMC.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Topping Technical Support doesn't have an answer and If the DAC is faulty, it would far easier to return it to Amazon now, rather than send it later to China for repair.

Thanks in advance for your support and thank you Amir for a really useful website.

Top Bottom