• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my Topping D10b broken?

peniku8

Forum Donor
I bought a Topping D10b for equipment measurements a while ago but never really used it because I couldn't get ASIO4ALL working initially.
Yesterday I managed to achieve exactly that, so I decided to take some measurements.
My input device is an RME Fireface UC which I have measured a lot lately too, just to get used to its distortion behaviour and levels.
Both devices were set to 96khz sampling rate. The D10b was in 32bit mode.

Let's look at the output spectrum of the D10b at -1dbFS, which equals to about 3.7V (0dbFS produced 4.11V):
LQkeIiX.jpg

That doesn't seem quite right. 3rd harmonic is at -74db or so, pretty far off Amir's measurements. To make sure that the Fireface is not the issue, I measured it at the same output voltage and it resulted in much better stats (as I expected), which I forgot to save, so let's look at an actual comparison next.

The Fireface performs best at 0,5V input, which produced the following results:
HEFPGle.jpg

Not sure wha the bad THD+N value is about, but ignoring that we have pretty clean THD and there is no garbage below our fundamental.
The D10b produces 0,4V at -20dbFS, which is what can be seen in the next measurement:
FUW3AvI.jpg

THD and THD+N are as good or better as the Fireface itself, but the graph looks way worse to me.
That tone at 375hz could already be seen in the first measurement of the D10b, which I why I turned off the generator to see how the sub 1k noise reacts:

e9OxWgc.jpg

Well, it didn't react much at all. The D10b seems to be outputting this on its own. Graph now with actual voltages.
I have one more measurement, which is THD vs output level. It is quite limited by the Fireface (it's not an APx555 after all), but it clearly shows the issue at hand.
lZiFOVn.jpg

I typically have a bit of confidence in my measurements when they show consistency and repeatability, but I often discover new things and I hope somebody will point out a mistake I made, because dealing with a broken device would be much more bothersome.
Distortion shows unusual behaviour at levels beyond 1V output and there are lots of tones being generated at all times.

I tried a lot of different settings in ASIO4ALL, but they didn't change anything. The latest Topping driver is installed. I tried rebooting. The D10b is connected to the Fireface via ~10m of balanced cable (runs through the patchbay in my outboard rack; Fireface-only measurements were also taken through the patchbay).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is my result. Not a loopback exactly. Using a spare laptop to run - 1 dbfs signal thru the Topping. Output goes to an RME Babyface pro which is running REW on a second computer. Doesn't look too bad other than noise level seems highish. I am only doing 256 k FFT and 8 averages.

1635720114563.png

1635720357887.png

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Here with a scale like yours. Are both channels the same with yours?
1635720517076.png

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
I bought a Topping D10b for equipment measurements a while ago but never really used it because I couldn't get ASIO4ALL working initially.
Yesterday I managed to achieve exactly that, so I decided to take some measurements.
My input device is an RME Fireface UC which I have measured a lot lately too, just to get used to its distortion behaviour and levels.
Both devices were set to 96khz sampling rate. The D10b was in 32bit mode.

Let's look at the output spectrum of the D10b at -1dbFS, which equals to about 3.7V (0dbFS produced 4.11V):
LQkeIiX.jpg

That doesn't seem quite right. 3rd harmonic is at -74db or so, pretty far off Amir's measurements. To make sure that the Fireface is not the issue, I measured it at the same output voltage and it resulted in much better stats (as I expected), which I forgot to save, so let's look at an actual comparison next.

The Fireface performs best at 0,5V input, which produced the following results:
HEFPGle.jpg

Not sure wha the bad THD+N value is about, but ignoring that we have pretty clean THD and there is no garbage below our fundamental.
The D10b produces 0,4V at -20dbFS, which is what can be seen in the next measurement:
FUW3AvI.jpg

THD and THD+N are as good or better as the Fireface itself, but the graph looks way worse to me.
That tone at 375hz could already be seen in the first measurement of the D10b, which I why I turned off the generator to see how the sub 1k noise reacts:

e9OxWgc.jpg

Well, it didn't react much at all. The D10b seems to be outputting this on its own. Graph now with actual voltages.
I have one more measurement, which is THD vs output level. It is quite limited by the Fireface (it's not an APx555 after all), but it clearly shows the issue at hand.
lZiFOVn.jpg

I typically have a bit of confidence in my measurements when they show consistency and repeatability, but I often discover new things and I hope somebody will point out a mistake I made, because dealing with a broken device would be much more bothersome.
Distortion shows unusual behaviour at levels beyond 1V output and there are lots of tones being generated at all times.

I tried a lot of different settings in ASIO4ALL, but they didn't change anything. The latest Topping driver is installed. I tried rebooting. The D10b is connected to the Fireface via ~10m of balanced cable (runs through the patchbay in my outboard rack; Fireface-only measurements were also taken through the patchbay).
How does it sound? :)

OP
peniku8

peniku8

Forum Donor
Here with a scale like yours. Are both channels the same with yours?
View attachment 162491
Yea, both my channels look the same. Your measurements don't look good either.
Edit: I just saw that your measurement was taken at -1.48dbFS on the input side of the babyface, which about lines up with Amir's THD measurement:
index.php

It's most likely that the Babyface's distortion makes up a majority of the distortion spectrum we see in your measurement.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I'm pretty sure most of the distortion and noise seen on my measurements is from the Babyface. It does look close to what Amir had other than mine having a bit more noise. So not sure why yours has higher distortion.

OP
peniku8

peniku8

Forum Donor
Here are some measurements to compare to now, they were all taken at around 4,2V output.

Fireface loopback as a reference:
7vJvyoC.jpg

EX5:
6p5QmnM.jpg

D10b:
qWIfcFv.jpg

OP
peniku8

peniku8

Forum Donor
Pulled everything out of the desk and wired it up directly (without the patchbay). Should've done this before posting here. Feel a bit embarrassed right now, here is the latest measurement. Will investigate what's going on here.

sAhLpdX.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pulled everything out of the desk and wired it up directly (without the patchbay). Should've done this before posting here. Feel a bit embarrassed right now, here is the latest measurement. Will investigate what's going on here.

sAhLpdX.jpg
Looks like the patchbay or some wiring needs some work. That thought crossed my mind, but I assumed you had already checked it out.

OP
peniku8

peniku8

Forum Donor
The unusually high distortion was caused by a (powered off) headphone amp on the same channel of the patch bay. What remains is the 375Hz tone, which can already be seen in the direct measurement (albeit at much lower amplitude).

Here is a measurement through the patchbay, which does not impact the Fireface:
SgFUgOp.jpg

I then also took two measurements of one only going *to* the patchbay and one only returning to it from a direct signal:
Wy6RXmc.jpg

BfK867F.jpg

@JohnYang1997 Is it possible that the D10b doesn't like long cable runs? Output impedance is only 17% higher than my fireface's, so I'd typically think it wouldn't be an issue.

OP
peniku8

peniku8

Forum Donor
Follow-up measurements of the DAC into the Cosmos ADC:

RjcYy25.jpg

Cl1fmdP.jpg

The measurements look similar when I replicate them on a laptop on battery power. The 375Hz stuff is still there, but the stats are good. For equipment testing I tie the channels together, which nets me 120dB THD+N.
Is it broken? No! Where does the 375Hz tone come from? No clue!

charonme

sorry to dig up this old thread, I just found out 8 out of 11 usb adapters I have here have this 375Hz tone in the recording when I use them to power a recorder with condenser microphones, so I'm now googling USB 375Hz and found this thread :)

charonme

Sorry for the confusion, I later found out the noise was caused by a micro usb cable (with ferrite beads on both ends). I tried a couple of other cables and none of them caused the problem with the same usb adapters

Top Bottom