• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my system considered “Hi-Fi”?

Dipypang

My audio system:
PC -> USB out -> Fiio K5 Pro ->
(1) RCA out -> Edifier S1000db
(2) Amp out -> Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 (2013)

I’m thinking of upgrade:
1. DAC/AMP to Topping D90SE & A90 stack
2. Headphones to HD600 / HD800s / Hifiman HE6SE / Hifiman Arya
3. Speakers to Yamaha HS8 + HS8s (subwoofer)

Will I get a much more better audio quality or the upgrade will not be very audible? (main use for critical listening)
With my system right now I can’t hear any difference between Spotify and Tidal Hi-Fi. Is it my ears or my system or it’s actually not much different between those 2 streaming service file quality.
I also ripped some CDs and listen to the original PCM wav file but it’s the same with Spotify…

Any recommendations for DAC, AMP, Headphone, Speakers, etc are very welcome!

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
changing from headphones to speakers will change the sound - but that's an odd comparison

yes, both are hiFi

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Are you getting headphones and speakers?

In which case I am OK with your choice of the HiFiMan HE-6SE...
As for the Yamaha HS-8 ...There are much better choices. People here will guide you. I, for my part would suggest JBL LSR-308 + LSR-310 Subwoofer

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will I get a much more better audio quality or the upgrade will not be very audible? (main use for critical listening)

The K5 Pro can drive the HD600 and HD800. So you might find little difference upgrading to the A90/D90SE.

In fact, there are $200 DAC/amp setups that measure so accurate that they are easily arguable to be noise and distortion-free within the range of human hearing. In other words, they exceed the highest fidelity sound reproduction you can perceive.

So spending $1400 on a DAC/headphone amp is definitely not a very good price/performance value for your money.

With my system right now I can’t hear any difference between Spotify and Tidal Hi-Fi. Is it my ears or my system or it’s actually not much different between those 2 streaming service file quality.
I also ripped some CDs and listen to the original PCM wav file but it’s the same with Spotify…

When they don't know which they are listening to, a very large majority of people find little or no difference between high bit rate lossy, like Spotify Premium, and CD quality. And hearing a difference at all between CD quality and hires (Tidal or MQA) is even less likely.

Now differences in CD masters can make an audible difference.

Any recommendations for DAC, AMP, Headphone, Speakers, etc are very welcome!

My advice is figure out what headphones and speakers you want first. Try them with your K5 Pro. Then decide on what would be best for a DAC/amp upgrade.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
If memory serves, the original Momentum had weak treble and wasn't all that great-sounding, so considerable upgrades are to be had indeed with any of the cans mentioned.

HS8s are an all-round solid loudspeaker, and substantially less hissy than the LSR308s so better suited for shorter distances. I'm not sure the combination with the HS8S sub makes that much sense though... the combination will work but a comparatively small sub like that is really more intended for the HS7 and HS5 models.

The question is how important deep bass level handling is anyway... some 3-way Kali IN-8 v2s would fit the budget as well.

The D90SE / A90 stack is too much money tied up in electronics IMHO. Try D30PRO / A30PRO instead. You can get away with far less glamourous options still should the need arise... like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Tascam US-2x2HR (or SSL 2, or MOTU M2 if you can actually find one) combined with a JDS Labs Atom+ or Topping L30 to spruce up the headphone output.

Chazz6

Now differences in CD masters can make an audible difference.

They sure can. I listened to a vinyl track played on an old Pioneer PL-112D turntable (Mingus, Things Ain't What They Used to Be), although equipped with a pretty good AT-VM95E cartridge. Liked it so much I went online and bought a .flac of the track, which apparently was taken from a CD reissue of the vinyl. The difference was more than audible. I had wasted my money on the .flac file.

BillH

Forum Donor
Do U EQ?

OP
D

Dipypang

Are you getting headphones and speakers?
Yes.

JBL LSR-308 + LSR-310 Subwoofer
Okay will look this up!

So spending $1400 on a DAC/headphone amp is definitely not a very good price/performance value for your money.
Yes this is what I'm considering.

My advice is figure out what headphones and speakers you want first. Try them with your K5 Pro. Then decide on what would be best for a DAC/amp upgrade.
Yes, headphones and speakers first. Thanks for your advice!

If memory serves, the original Momentum had weak treble and wasn't all that great-sounding
Yes I always feel it is missing something...

I'm not sure the combination with the HS8S sub makes that much sense though... the combination will work but a comparatively small sub like that is really more intended for the HS7 and HS5 models.
I actually did consider about this, but some say just get the biggest so can reach a louder output.

some 3-way Kali IN-8 v2s would fit the budget as well.
The D90SE / A90 stack is too much money tied up in electronics IMHO. Try D30PRO / A30PRO instead. You can get away with far less glamourous options still should the need arise... like a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 or Tascam US-2x2HR (or SSL 2, or MOTU M2 if you can actually find one) combined with a JDS Labs Atom+ or Topping L30 to spruce up the headphone output.
Noted.

Never but I would like to try if needed.

Halfmac

I would say your system is already HiFi. I would not chang the Edifier speakers. A few years ago I wanted to upgrade my audio in my video edit studio so I bought the Edifier S1000DB on Amazon. All I can say is WOW! These are the best sounding speakers I have had since selling my Quad ESL1's many years ago. They have that sound that gives you the feeling of being in the recording hall or room like the Quad's. I have them connected to my computer system with a Toshlink cable digitally. My CalDigit Thunderbolt T3+ hub has Toshlink. No sub woofer needed like on my Quad's.

Top Bottom