• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my DT990 Pro (250 ohms) underpowered?

LudwikSX4

Hi,

Need some help. Pretty much a noob.

I recently got my DT990 pro 250ohms. I'm currently using it with my Behringer UMC404HD interface without a headphone amp. I'm noticing that the right driver is clipping (crackling?) at certain frequencies. It happens randomly so I'm not sure about the exact frequency. It happens sometimes with the bass but with mid-high frequency as well sometimes. Oh, and it only happens with the right driver only as well which I think is weird.

I've read somewhere on reddit that the interface should be able to drive the DT990 Pro especially if I will power it with the adapter instead of it being USB powered. I doubted that but I just went ahead and purchased the headphones, I can buy an amp later on anyways. I'm getting reasonable volume out of the interface but the right driver is clipping, even when I turn it down a little bit.

My questions are:

1. Are they really underpowered?
2. Is it normal for underpowered headphones to clip on one driver only?
3. If I do really need a headphone amp, any recommendations? (I use the headphones for mixing, I'm pairing it with Sonarworks SoundID)

Thanks so much.

Cheers,

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Since it's in one side only the headphone is likely the problem but I'd also guess the headphones aren't very sensitive since they are 250 Ohms so it wouldn't surprise me if you are clipping the Behringer.

You could probably rig-up some RCA adapter cables that would allow you to swap the left & right connections. Then if the problem stays in the same earpiece you know it's the headphone.

OP
L

LudwikSX4

Thanks @DVDdoug

Alright. I did further testing. I was using spotify and I now tested with some flac files instead. Left driver clips as well but not as bad as the right side. Maybe because there are a lot more happening in the right channel in the song. SoundID software has a switch to flip L/R channels and the bad clipping does flip left and right.

I also have my Samson SR850, no clipping present at the same volume with DT990 pro. I leave the level of the headphones on the interface at about 75% and I adjust the volume in my music player to match loudness.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
1. Are they really underpowered?

Yes, severly underpowered, well actually under-voltaged. The headphone out section already distorts (clips) at around 11-o'clock setting.
It's weird to do this on 1 driver only.
Try it without EQ as well.

I suggest trying the headphone on some other device.

OP
L

LudwikSX4

Yes, severly underpowered, well actually under-voltaged. The headphone out section already distorts (clips) at around 11-o'clock setting.

Thank you!

I resolved the issue of the single driver clipping. Apparently, it only happens with spotify, I tested some flac files and the left driver clips as well. I tested it without the EQ as well, it's clipping, its not as bad but it is there. Maybe because sonarworks is boosting some frequencies. At same loudness, I just noticed that my Samson SR850 sounds more full. So I guess I do really need an amp.

OP
L

LudwikSX4

By the way, is it safe to use the headphones when they are under-voltaged?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @DVDdoug

Alright. I did further testing. I was using spotify and I now tested with some flac files instead. Left driver clips as well but not as bad as the right side. Maybe because there are a lot more happening in the right channel in the song. SoundID software has a switch to flip L/R channels and the bad clipping does flip left and right.

I also have my Samson SR850, no clipping present at the same volume with DT990 pro. I leave the level of the headphones on the interface at about 75% and I adjust the volume in my music player to match loudness.
So this tells you the problem isn't in one channel or the other of your phones. Just depends upon which channels gets a little louder first. The UMC gear is all very under-voltaged as solderdude said.

My DT880's (I forget if mine are 250 ohm or the earlier 320 ohm) version have pretty good volume with Focusrite Scarlett interfaces, and plenty of volume with my Antelope Audio Zen Tour and Babyface Pro FS.

OP
L

LudwikSX4

So this tells you the problem isn't in one channel or the other of your phones. Just depends upon which channels gets a little louder first. The UMC gear is all very under-voltaged as solderdude said.

My DT880's (I forget if mine are 250 ohm or the earlier 320 ohm) version have pretty good volume with Focusrite Scarlett interfaces, and plenty of volume with my Antelope Audio Zen Tour and Babyface Pro FS.
Right!

I used to have a Scarlett solo but I needed more inputs. Will an amp solve my issue or I'm gonna need a DAC as well?

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Right!

I used to have a Scarlett solo but I needed more inputs. Will an amp solve my issue or I'm gonna need a DAC as well?
An amp will fix it. Like a JDS labs Atom. Or if you just want a better interface, some goods ones out now that also have at least a better headphone jack even if not equivalent to an Atom.

OP
L

LudwikSX4

An amp will fix it. Like a JDS labs Atom. Or if you just want a better interface, some goods ones out now that also have at least a better headphone jack even if not equivalent to an Atom.
Thank you!!

I cannot afford a new interface right now. Is the Atom neutral/transparent? I don't want the sound to be colored to keep the neutral EQ from sonarworks soundID.

I saw the Topping L30, will that be able to drive the DT990 Pro?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
By the way, is it safe to use the headphones when they are under-voltaged?

Yes, they just don't sound right at higher listening levels.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you!!

I cannot afford a new interface right now. Is the Atom neutral/transparent? I don't want the sound to be colored to keep the neutral EQ from sonarworks soundID.

I saw the Topping L30, will that be able to drive the DT990 Pro?
Yes the Atom is very neutral, and powerful. The Topping L30 will do you well itself.

Top Bottom