• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my Amp enough for LS50?

I am thinking of upgrading to a pair of LS50's for my office setup (near-field), my current amp is an Onkyo A-9010, (UK tuned version), now initially I would think it wouldn't be powerful enough based on the reputation that the LS50 needs a millions watts apparently so 'sing', but, I've been using the Onkyo with the Kef Q100s for a few years now and find it powers them wonderfully, so surely the LS50's can't be a million miles away in terms of drivability?

MacCali

Major Contributor
I am thinking of upgrading to a pair of LS50's for my office setup (near-field), my current amp is an Onkyo A-9010, (UK tuned version), now initially I would think it wouldn't be powerful enough based on the reputation that the LS50 needs a millions watts apparently so 'sing', but, I've been using the Onkyo with the Kef Q100s for a few years now and find it powers them wonderfully, so surely the LS50's can't be a million miles away in terms of drivability?
Can’t say for certain, kefs are picky. You can always grab a parasound amp if it doesn’t work out. They are pretty decent on current to feed those hungry speakers.

HCA-1200 mk 2 or HCA-1500 will definitely work without breaking the bank

jae

Major Contributor
If you are only like 1m away should be more than enough to reach normal listening volumes.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
A-9010.PNG

Here are the specs for the A-9010

iLoveCats

I've told people before my LS50's sound best on an Aiyima A07. I've run them on a NAD M10, 2 channels of an Outlaw 5000, Rotel A12, Parasound 2125v2 and probably some other random stuff I've had around here. When I tried the A07 I never changed the amp again. I'm using an emotiva xda 2 for a DAC and volume control because I need 2 optical inputs.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran LS50s with equivalent power, and they do just fine. Just don't expect massive amounts of output. I have them on Loxjie A30, and also ran with B&O 50ASX2.

Multicore

Major Contributor
For desktop use I would expect that's more than enough to drive them.

For that application people are typically choosing speakers with integrated amps these days. For the list price of LS50s there are some nice options. Since you seem not very confident about your Onkyo amp, considering replacing it, do you have a particular reason to choose passive boxes or these KEFs?

OP
P
For desktop use I would expect that's more than enough to drive them.

For that application people are typically choosing speakers with integrated amps these days. For the list price of LS50s there are some nice options. Since you seem not very confident about your Onkyo amp, considering replacing it, do you have a particular reason to choose passive boxes or these KEFs?

Passive boxes are cheap and interchangeable, especially second-hand, I have been offered a set of LS50 Meta's near mint condition for £690, I like kef due to the coaxial design, it works well giving me soundstage and imaging even when I'm not in the optimum position, conventional two way speaker designs that I've used in the past fall apart when I lean into the screen at my desk.

I'm pretty confident about my A-9010, the manual actually says 70w @ 4 ohms, (although at 0.7% total harmonic distortion vs 0.08% @ 44w 8 ohms) it's just that that the LS50's as you're probably already aware have a reputation in the community to be hard to drive, yet cheaper speakers like my Q100's, or the Q150 which are similarly specced don't seem to garner the same reputation, I presume because they are cheaper hifi dealers think it's ok to pair them with cheaper more inefficient amps, but then when you take an interest in the LS50 they start suggesting more expensive higher powered amps, I'm just questioning whether that is really a necessity, as based on my experience with Q100 the A-9010 is more than capable.

ban25

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have two pairs of LS50 Metas. 44wpc is not sufficient, IMO. I ran a pair of them on a Topping PA5 and it was not loud enough to fill the room. On a Bluesound POWERNODE (80wpc), things were better. Now I am running a Rotel A14 MKII (also 80wpc, but 150wpc into 4ohms and these speakers dip to 3.5). I recommend at least 80wpc. Maybe look into something like the Cambridge CXA81 or Rotel A14 MKII for an integrated, or something like the Rotel RB-1552 for a standalone.

nerdstrike

I grant you the sensitivity of the LS50 is low at 85dB, so you need twice the power of many speakers, but you're still sitting close to it. I'm not sure I'd want 20 watts of music into my poor ears at 1m away. I think you'd be alright unless you insist on an office party

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
According to a German magazine review the LS50 Meta needs 23,7 V to reach its maximum level at bass defined on some harmonic distortion limit which would translate to approximately at average 85 W. Just approximately half the power 42.5 W would mean 3 dB less which due to the logarithmic character of our listening is not a big difference (-10 dB are perceived as half as loud and -1 dB is just audible). Mind you that due to its impedance minimum of 3.8 Ohm it should be rather used with an amp with decent current capabilities. On the other hand intermodulation distortions are usually more audible at a 2-way and depending on the bass part of the signal can happen on an even lower lever so I would say it depends also on the music listened and if it is highpassed and combined with a sub. Without it it anyway isn't an optimal loudspeaker for large SPL and listening distances so an amp with large power specs while usually not harmful is oversized for it.

Toroechado

According to a German magazine review the LS50 Meta needs 23,7 V to reach its maximum level at bass defined on some harmonic distortion limit which would translate to approximately at average 85 W. Just approximately half the power 42.5 W would mean 3 dB less which due to the logarithmic character of our listening is not a big difference (-10 dB are perceived as half as loud and -1 dB is just audible). Mind you that due to its impedance minimum of 3.8 Ohm it should be rather used with an amp with decent current capabilities. On the other hand intermodulation distortions are usually more audible at a 2-way and depending on the bass part of the signal can happen on an even lower lever so I would say it depends also on the music listened and if it is highpassed and combined with a sub. Without it it anyway isn't an optimal loudspeaker for large SPL and listening distances so an amp with large power specs while usually not harmful is oversized for it.
I bet that feeding the LS50 with 23.7V wold be crazy loud. The Onkyo A-9010 should be more than enough for near field listening or for a reasonable volume in a smallish room.

Top Bottom