• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is my 2.4Ghz interference that bad for my Rel S3 sub?

bwng29

So recently by pure accident (when only hooking up the sub to play music while disconnected my main) I’ve noticed my Rel S/3 connected through long bow is skipping beats, it sounds like the signal would be gone for a moment every few seconds. I thought it might be the cable but after trouble shoot I’ve figured it’s the signal itself, and it seems having to do both the distance between the longbow and whether there are things directly between them.

After talking to Rel support which is extremely helpful, I finally had to put the longbow on a desk, have direct line of sight to the subwoofer within 9ft to have a non skipping signal.

I had no idea the longbow signal is this brittle. Although the tech support didn’t explicit mention it is interfering with my WiFi, I was advised to move all routers and BT devices a feet away from the longbow. And the longbow is using 2.4Ghz signal.

My network is a Google Nest mesh network so I can’t directly control 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz frequency so guess I can’t optimize more on this (not gonna revamp network for the sub)

Anyway, it still surprised me for a few things

1) The beats have been skipping on this sub for a while and I wasn’t able to perceive it until the sub is playing by itself thus leading to the discovery

2) how brittle the signal connection is for the Rel sub. I know they have updated everything to airship and I wonder if I should swap out the longbow.

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That stinks that a wireless device needs line of sight.

OP
B

bwng29

The marketing material on the longbow makes it seems super robust and undefeatable, but Rel support wasn’t surprised about my experience, which got my BS alarm ringing.

threni

Major Contributor
Heh, from the site it looks like that model's been discontinued, and it says:

---
LongBow permits very fast, uncompressed bass to be sent wirelessly within the same room approximately 45 feet (somewhat dependent upon room clutter).
---

Reminds me of a problem I had with a Raspberry Pi's wifi once; I ended up turning a spare modem/router into a wifi access point and sticking it in the same room as the Pi to give it a fighting chance.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
it's not exclusive to your sub, nor Rel by itself
2.4g has been the bane of my existence for quite some time now especially since i'm using an Intel NUC as a player, that has strictly non-shielded components using it...
even when not using wifi or BT (no active connections, just not disabled) i get such a strong overlay that a Logitech wireless adapter only works <.5m away while plugged into the pc (had to break it out on a 5m usb extension cable)

Top Bottom