• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Mixed Reality the next big thing?

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.

We don't know, yet. Many of the things we take today for granted, came from the minds of strange people dreaming of strange things, for the time... From the auto-mobile (moving by itself), now , these are truly auto-mobile with self-driving cars :) ... Or the communicators in Star Trek , that became our cell phones, or Jules Verne imagining people going to the Moon or ...
They dream and their dreams become our reality, sometimes they even pay for it with our scorn and ridicules.. Virtual reality may become this.. Its own reality or it may not...

We may have to wait.

Peace

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi.

We don't know, yet. Many of the things we take today for granted, came from the minds of strange people dreaming of strange things, for the time... From the auto-mobile (moving by itself), now , these are truly auto-mobile with self-driving cars :) ... Or the communicators in Star Trek , that became our cell phones, or Jules Verne imagining people going to the Moon or ...
They dream and their dreams become our reality, sometimes they even pay for it with our scorn and ridicules.. Virtual reality may become this.. Its own reality or it may not...

We may have to wait.

Peace
The Facebook erm Meta investors decided they were tired of waiting lol!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My prediction is that, besides giving starry-eyed tech writers employment, it will never be popular.

raif71

Major Contributor
Hmm with Disney cutting off its metaverse division, I thought others will too... just like when the tv companies did with 3D by abandoning it

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm with Disney cutting off its metaverse division, I thought others will too... just like when the tv companies did with 3D by abandoning it
It remains to be seen if Apple actually sells any.

Galliardist

Major Contributor
My feeling about these devices and environments is that there are (at least for the moment) a small number of specific and useful applications for them. If Apple are still the company they used to be, they will aim to exploit those applications better than their rivals, rather than try to build another metaverse.

The slogan "Code new worlds" jars here, since it's the examination of representation of data and 3-D models from the world we already have that seems to be the best working example of what VR and MR can do.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Facebook erm Meta investors decided they were tired of waiting lol!
Investors haven't always shown they have a good eye on the future, lately near-sightedness has become their plague ... We simply don't know yet, that much we have to admit... Xerox could not see what the GUI was to be...

Peace.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
didnt Microsoft already do this with Hololens? but i think they were trying to pitch this as an industy quasi military tool.
Yep, and it wasn't a great success. But maybe the tech has advanced?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I wonder if this is (for lack of a better term) a false flag operation on Apple's part -- or some sort of smokescreen for some other shenanigans from their skunkworks-equivalent?

OP
JeffS7444

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I figure that simply trying to replicate these scenarios with real hardware could easily exceed the cost of an AVP:

AVP2.jpg

AVP6.jpg

AVP4.jpg

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Personally, I have zero interest. I wouldn't particularly want one if somebody gave it to me. But I don't claim be good at predicting the future or knowing what other people will like.

IMO - Apple has the best marketing of any company and they have often introduced new products/ideas or been successful with ideas that hadn't been previously successful. (I'm not a big Apple fan... The only Apple product I own is an iPod Classic.)

OP
JeffS7444

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It still looks kind of large, clunky and isolating, but that could simply be my reaction to something which is still relatively unfamiliar.

If the virtual screens can remain in a fixed position without drifting, that would give them an awesome sense of presence.

Did purchase a Playstation VR prior to the pandemic, but admittedly, did little with it save for checking out some demos and watching a couple of movies. Granted, that's VR and not AR, but I felt it was more isolating than sitting alone in my room.

But man, if it actually could replace a number of cluttery gadgets, wouldn't that be something: It's so much easier to keep virtual hardware clean.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I use a Quest 2 with Condor 2 - Glider flight simulator, which has a good grasp of the physics of soaring flight and various gliders to fly.

That's my "killer app".

I visited Zuck's Metaverse.

Once.

Do the participants have legs now?

Next Big Thing?

Not from what I've seen.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Simulators and video games are the obvious markets.

tomchris

I remember the promise of VR from the beginning of the 1980s and throughout the 1990s. We are now in 2023 and we are still waiting for something interesting to materialize. Granted, most has to do with the advancement of graphics, and the whole ATI vs Nvidia debacle evolving into the increased focus on crypto mining has not done consumers any favors when it comes to VR related developments. Simulators and video games have always been the obvious markets, but they have taken a back seat compared to cloud computing, blockchain and machine learning. What's next? Well, AI is not Apple's strong suit, so Apple is probably trying hype that they are cornering the market of AR.

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If the virtual screens can remain in a fixed position without drifting, that would give them an awesome sense of presence.

They do, and if you move somewhere else you can re-set the windows in front of you by pressing the crown.
There's a wealth of WWDC sessions available today and during the week, this one might be a good start ?

OP
JeffS7444

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They do, and if you move somewhere else you can re-set the windows in front of you by pressing the crown.
There's a wealth of WWDC sessions available today and during the week, this one might be a good start ?
Thanks! Fascinating how there's such a level of detail involved in bringing these things to life. I already know that un-anchored movie watching in Playstation VR is kind of uncomfortable, as it's not possible to turn away from the screen, whereas that's clearly not the case with AVP.

Top Bottom