• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Mcintosh current amp?

OP
V

veeceem

Mine are driven by an Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5.

McIntosh uses a tapped output transformer (balun, actually, IIRC) to match speaker impedance to their output stage. If you get one, I'd suggest using the 4-ohm tap. And it will drive them just fine.
Nice, Emotiva DR1/DR2 is also on my radar. But cant find their measurements atm :/

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How about some Bel Canto Ref600 monoblocks. The current version uses Hypex modules. $4990/pair. A bit of audiophile cred for the other user, and some solid measured goodness and fidelity for you.

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm fine with M22 v2 or any budget well performed amps. But that's just me. There ảre 2 persons use music room, the other believe in high end stuffs... So Mc452 or something similar is something we could both agree on...

Nice, Emotiva DR1/DR2 is also on my radar. But cant find their measurements atm :/

If the other person needs the amp to be "high end" they won't go for Emotiva

OP
V

veeceem

How about some Bel Canto Ref600 monoblocks. The current version uses Hypex modules. $4990/pair. A bit of audiophile cred for the other user, and some solid measured goodness and fidelity for you.
Iirc, it uses same nc400 as my NAD M22 v2

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Mine are driven by an Emotiva XPA-2 and XPA-5.

McIntosh uses a tapped output transformer (balun, actually, IIRC) to match speaker impedance to their output stage. If you get one, I'd suggest using the 4-ohm tap. And it will drive them just fine.
I believe Mac (still) uses autoformers, although I am not really "up" on most current Mac products.
EDIT: Just to be clear not all McIntosh solid state amps are autoformer coupled, but many of the better/more expensive ones (still) are, AFAIK.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Hi Sal1950,
in Italy at the end of 2021, the current TV transmission system will change and we will move on to the dvb-t2
and at that juncture I will decide which 77 "or 85" model to buy (the current Panasonic is a 60 "with old type receiver).
Another solution that I will have to check on that date (on the side of the goodness of the video) are the ultra short throw projectors that have just been proposed on the market ..... we will see, but in the meantime we need to save the (many) Euros needed !!! :p:p:p:facepalm::facepalm:
Enjoy that killer system as is, I'm really just jealous of what looks like an awesome dedicated room with beautiful gear and sound treatment.
Cent' Anni

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Iirc, it uses same nc400 as my NAD M22 v2
It uses the NC500 module. The input modules and a few other aspects around the NC500 module are done differently (supposedly better) in the Bel Canto. And as a result of that it has higher audiophile cred than NAD if that is important.

You can read the review and measurements here:
https://www.stereophile.com/content/bel-canto-eone-ref600m-power-amplifier

The author, Kal Rubinson is a forum member and posts here regularly.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
They used to post them but quit with Gen3 (I think). I also think you can email and ask for them.

OP
V

veeceem

Just listened to my Salon2 with NAD M22 v2. With crawl-out-of-the-room volume. The amp didnt even warm, stay super cool :) compare to the more than just warm Pass XA25 :)

BeepPeep_61

Given that veeceem took into consideration the MC452, (considered here in Italy one of the most well-sounding stereo amplifiers ever), placed the proof in pdf that the HiFi magazine SUONO produced in March 2011 end Audio Review in June 2011.
I can't translate it, but the graphics area is easily understandable.
@ Sam1950
Thanks for the compliments, in fact I have invested hundreds of hours of work and several euros to build "my" music room, which was forbidden to my wife in terms of environmental interference! :D:D;);)

Attachments

• Mc Intosh MC452 _ SUONO-Marzo-2011.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 643
  • McIntosch C50-MC452_AR-Giugno2011.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 444
OP
V

veeceem

Given that veeceem took into consideration the MC452, (considered here in Italy one of the most well-sounding stereo amplifiers ever), placed the proof in pdf that the HiFi magazine SUONO produced in March 2011 end Audio Review in June 2011.
I can't translate it, but the graphics area is easily understandable.
@ Sam1950
Thanks for the compliments, in fact I have invested hundreds of hours of work and several euros to build "my" music room, which was forbidden to my wife in terms of environmental interference! :D:D;);)
Can you please tell me how many clean watts can Mc452 draw per channel in 8/4/2Ohm in those pdf? I cant understand the language and the charts :'( thanks

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
It's probably very similar in RMS to the mc462. I believe the 462 has 33% more headroom so it's capable of handling higher peaks. However both amps are capable of delivering over 1kw of power in peaks, more than what your salon2's could handle. You will most likely never be pushing the amp to its limit even at THX reference levels.

OP
V

veeceem

It's probably very similar in RMS to the mc462. I believe the 462 has 33% more headroom so it's capable of handling higher peaks. However both amps are capable of delivering over 1kw of power in peaks, more than what your salon2's could handle. You will most likely never be pushing the amp to its limit even at THX reference levels.
So aside from more headroom from Mc462, both are nearly identical?

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
In my opinion, yes, they will both sound the same with your salon2's. The mc452 and mc462 is really good for speakers that have huge current requirements like Wilsons, the Kef Reference 3/5, Kef Blade, and estats. Your salon2's are actually not a nightmare load for the partnering amp, the phase is modular to the impedance curve so compared to the aforementioned types of speakers with huge power suckouts in the midbass regions, you probably won't ever be anywhere close to 50% of the power of the mc452.

It's also really pretty and not a unsound 'investment' since McIntosh products depreciate very slowly, or not really much at all if you buy a used one at a good price. Might even appreciate very slightly depending how much you paid. I think the mc452 and mc462 will be a classic amp in the future. Better value then Pass Labs too, imo. The comparable amp from Pass would be the .8 X series, X250.8, etc and those have much more distortion. Also, Pass products tend to depreciate quite significantly. I mention Pass because it's the only other American made (esoteric) solid state class AB amplifie manufacture that I would put in the same league as McIntosh.

BeepPeep_61

Can you please tell me how many clean watts can Mc452 draw per channel in 8/4/2Ohm in those pdf? I cant understand the language and the charts :'( thanks

I managed to have Google (Itakian-English) translate only one of the documents, but it should be enough for an evaluation.
Keep in mind that in my system, when viewing Dolby Sorround soundtracks, the maximum peak power supplied by the MC601 with sound pressure values of about 105dB (background noise value in my room of 20dB) has never exceeded 100W! !
Personally I would try to buy an MC452 also for the high residual value that the MC Intosh brand maintains over time.
Happy weekend to all of you

Attachments

• McIntosch C50-MC452_AR-Giugno2011.it.en.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 451

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This is the solution of another audiophile who, as a veeceem, believes that the power is never enough .....
He has a point, as the ole sayin goes,
"there's no substitute for cubic inches" ! :D

Top Bottom