• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is labdoor credible?

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I prefer my breakfast to be vegetarian and its a smoothie every day. To make sure I get some protein in the morning, I've been adding protein powders that contain whey or plant protein. Labdoor seems like a reliable place to check as they post test results. I was wondering if anyone here has any credible information on the credibility of their testing and results.

Thanks

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Never heard of it before. The basis for the rankings seems unclear at first glance.

jae

Major Contributor
Never heard of it before. The basis for the rankings seems unclear at first glance.
The food and more so the supplement industry and the labels associated with them are very loosely regulated in many countries, especially the US. There are virtually no real repercussions for lying or misleading on them. In many places they are also allowed to be very generous with rounding figures and nutritional content, and when you're working with smaller quantities of a nutrient, it can be quite significant percent deviation from the actual real content.

I remember a number of years ago there was a big shock in the fitness/bodybuilding world when about 30+ of the most popular whey protein products had their products lab tested by a random biochemist on a fitness forum and only about 4 or 5 of them actually had anywhere near the protein content advertised. He provided all the lab assay data collected as well. Many that tested poorly were popular brands, especially the ones found in grocery stores and sold on fitness/bodybuilding sites. These were filled with extra sugar and other inert bulkers that were cheaper than whey, despite whey already being a very cheap food item to manufacture with large margins.

This was about 5 years ago or so so I'm not sure what's changed in the industry. Optimum Nutrition is one brand that has been around for a long time with a good reputation, taste, and mixability that was one of the few that passed that test, according to my memory. I believe MyProtein also checked out, and a lot of their stuff is rebranded for other companies too.

jae

Major Contributor
Proteinco (a Canadian brand) also tested well.

Sorry I don't have any of the test results for you. I will try and find them. The reason I know these in particular tested well are because I only brought brands that tested positive from that data, and these are what came up as purchases in my e-mail in the last 5 years

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shot of tequila, expresso and half a pint of milk with 2 raw eggs .. breakfast of champions.. add hot sauce if you think your hard enough.

o_O That sounds like a recipe for instant vomit.

I do like eggs. Maybe I should go with eggs + toast + smoothie without any of this powder stuff that I have to keep wondering about arsenic, lead etc.

jae

Major Contributor
High protein/greek yoghourt? Or egg whites

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everyone wants to embrace a gimmick. My daily breakfast consists of half a cup of overnight oats (rolled Quaker), two thirds cup of almond milk with two tablespoons of flax seeds (ground in a spice grinder), two tablespoons of chia seeds, a good handful of organic blueberries, a handful of organic strawberries, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, a handful of raw almonds, and 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Black coffee and 8 oz of low sodium V8.

Everything off the supermarket shelf, and I bet it's healthier than 99.9% of what everyone else is eating. Just good nourishing food, and no gimmicks.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Everyone wants to embrace a gimmick. My daily breakfast consists of half a cup of overnight oats (rolled Quaker), two thirds cup of almond milk with two tablespoons of flax seeds (ground in a spice grinder), two tablespoons of chia seeds, a good handful of organic blueberries, a handful of organic strawberries, 1 tsp of vanilla extract, a handful of raw almonds, and 1 tablespoon of raw honey. Black coffee and 8 oz of low sodium V8.

Everything off the supermarket shelf, and I bet it's healthier than 99.9% of what everyone else is eating. Just good nourishing food, and no gimmicks.

That does seem very healthy. My smoothies are usually - Banana, avocado, kefir/yoghurt, fresh parsley, almond/oat milk, mixed berries and whey/plant protein powder. Sometimes I add a teaspoon of coconut oil and/or macha tea.

A double espresso after this and I am good.

Veri

Master Contributor
My breakfast is just the espresso, usually o_O

jae

Major Contributor

Sounds lovely, although I am a bigger guy and that would probably make me hungry in an hour! I eat quite a lot of food, so I am forced to have larger volumes of lower calorie foods or I simply cannot control myself and will end up binge eating.

A good breakfast I found for me these days is "protein toast", which essentially is just regular french toast/pain perdu/eggy bread but using only egg whites and without any cooking oil/butter. 4-6 slices fills my plate and my belly and only about 500-700 calories eaten with some fruit and sugar free/fibre syrup. One nice thing about this option is that I can do a few weeks worth at a time and freeze it, and reheat it in my toaster on the defrost setting. Tastes almost the same as having it fresh and takes 2 minutes.

If I don't feel for that, I'll have maybe 1.5 cups of oats with sugar free almond milk, sweetener, with whey mixed in or with a high protein/greek yoghourt and fruit. Or maybe just some meat/jerky with seasoned popcorn and berries.

Another thing I've been having a lot lately is "protein icecream" which is essentially just a whey protein shake using unsweetened almond milk and sweetener, blended with ice, frozen berries, and/or frozen greek yoghourt and with guar/xanthan gum to thicken. It tastes exactly like you would expect, a semi-sweet fruity protein shake that is the consistency of soft serve. It is a chore to even finish one or two servings of it (imagine eating 1-2L of thick icecream/pudding at only 250-500 calories). Sometimes I experiment with the flavours, I usually use a vanilla or unflavoured whey/casein with fruit but I will often times substitute the fruit for greek yoghourt that I've frozen and put in freeze dried instant coffee and powdered peanut butter if I'm having it in the morning.

Last edited:

Inner Space

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Six mugs of coffee, six Camels, and a chocolate muffin - job done, ready for the day.

Top Bottom