• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Jay talking about Amir?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If he is talking about me, he has no idea who I am :). At one point he says to ignore a guy who measures speakers in his room at 1 meter. Well, that ain't me.

I will save you watching the whole video, at the end he says the measurements (of a speaker) that matter are done with a tape measure. Use it to measure the distance to each speaker and there you have it! Incredible....

I guess all the subjectivists reviewers are going to post stuff like this as they feel their turf is threatened. Completely information-free video showing such shallow knowledge of audio research, measurements, or even what some of us are doing. I had watched some of Jay's videos in the past. It is clear he hasn't read a single review here, watch any of my videos or look at my background or he would change his tune.

As to that "Human Hearing Researcher," I kept waiting for him to show up. But he never did. Sounds like he took neuroscience classes in college and that was enough to anoint himself that title. So much for being careful about who you listen to and their qualifications!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Honest question: Who is Jay?

(Asking before I decide whether to watch the video)

Sry cant help dont know him. But i can tell you he tells absolutly nothing new or realy interesting imo. On a scale from 0-10 about the information content, i give a 2. While @armirs videos rank usually between 8-10.

But thats for sure just my personal subjective impressions. No measurement where done. ;)

Edit says: I did not read that @amirm meanwhile answerd in this thread. I just watched video then answered. So if there is some coherence between @amirm impression and mine about the video, its not from reading amirs post,

Last edited:

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate this kind of low effort talking head stuff. 22 whole minutes, 0 data presented, 0 studies cited, nothing but rambling. I wish we'd stop talking about youtubers who do this, it's so boring.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This video by Erin is a great rebuttal to Jay's video. Shows that Jay is really clueless on how measurements work.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Sorry guys...

It's probably just me, but I agreed with just about everything Jay said. It's about speakers... not electronics.
In short.. he says measurements matter, they should be done properly and for speakers those measurements are really hard to interpret aside from those that know them well. It is also hard to predict how they will sound in your room to your ears.
Jay states measurements are a tool that can narrow down a long list of options and that's certainly true.

The 'tape measure thing' he states is a bit weird at first glance but in the end what he means is that once you have speakers they must be positioned correctly and use measurements when experimenting so you can pick the optimal position and after the experiments you can use the tape measure and plots you made to put it in that optimal position.

Jay is not talking about Amir imo. He talks about speakers, measurements, positioning and listening tests in general and that these all matter.

OP
K

kotmj

Sorry guys...

It's probably just me, but I agreed with just about everything Jay said. It's about speakers... not electronics.
In short.. he says measurements matter, they should be done properly and for speakers those measurements are really hard to interpret aside from those that know them well. It is also hard to predict how they will sound in your room to your ears.
Jay states measurements are a tool that can narrow down a long list of options and that's certainly true.

The 'tape measure thing' he states is a bit weird at first glance but in the end what he means is that once you have speakers they must be positioned correctly and use measurements when experimenting so you can pick the optimal position and after the experiments you can use the tape measure and plots you made to put it in that optimal position.

Jay is not talking about Amir imo. He talks about speakers, measurements, positioning and listening tests in general and that these all matter.
But this goes against Toole. Toole says all of humanity prefers one specific kind of frequency response.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Sorry guys...

Thats why i gave him 2 out of 10 points, Nothing new, nothing we not know already.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
According to Jay his background is he used to sell Wilson speakers...he appears to now makes his living schilling for high end products on Youtube and has a whole production crew. I take pretty much everything he says with a healthy grain of salt.

I have no idea who he is, what he sells, shills or whatever more. Nor do I care. I responded to this particular video not about the individual or what he does. His talk about speakers, objectiveness and measurements being important to those that understand measurements makes perfect sense to me. He is selling nor shilling anything in this particular video.
I don't think he is talking about nor targeting Amir specifically either. He also did not state Klippel measurements are worthless.
He states that basing speaker decisions on measurements under specific conditions nor based on personal findings of 'reviewers' is the proper way.
I agree... sorry... regardless whatever videos he makes. I did not even know the guy existed.
His video is not anti-ASR.

kimmosto

It's probably just me, but I agreed with just about everything Jay said.

You're not alone. I might be more anti-ASR than he is. Reviews and too many messages especially on this speaker area look quite narrow-minded, religious and anti-scientific. Forum does not earn it's name by scoring performance according very limited set of measurements, giving impression that reviews or Toole's book is everything, strict fact and listening impressions cannot be more valid than e.g. certain difference in spinoramas.

Measurements are very valuable in R&D, but cannot beat listening tests e.g. when selecting winner design to production. In that game spinorama which looks the best could be loser, and the worst looking could end up to production due to best sound - with one voice. Conversion from basic measurements and analyses to sound quality in any listening environment and setup is not so simple.
For example I design speakers with measurements only, and others participate evaluation and selection process by listening. Designs by measurements only could be worth to production, but they are not equally good. Only method to weight pros and cons and evaluate small details is to listen and vote. Some of small details which are not visible in measurements could be significant. Some..many of those ASR does not measure at all.

Last edited:

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hate this kind of low effort talking head stuff. 22 whole minutes, 0 data presented, 0 studies cited, nothing but rambling. I wish we'd stop talking about youtubers who do this, it's so boring.
I last about 40 seconds with a "talking head" presentation on YouTube. A quick scroll will show if there's any chart, video or graphic to illustrate the topic. Typically, it's just hand waving.

I'm a big fan of channels like Verisatium and Just have a think.

Hotwetrat

I guess all the subjectivists reviewers are going to post stuff like this as they feel their turf is threatened.

I just love how they're exposing themselves and trying to (DESPERATELY) figure out how to address the reality you are continuing to present (as they're being backed into a corner and them completely ignoring these facts is getting 'noticed') while not losing their money, which is based on snake oil Hi-Fi a HUGE HUGE insudtry that has for years preyed on audiophools (like myself) and now these unscrupulous BUMS who know basically NOTHING!! Are in panic mode.

I told you this was coming in a PM a good while back, lock your doors at night, and keep at it lol.

EDIT;

Sorry guys...

I've exposed MYSELF for not watching the video and just assuming the worst due to my experience.

My bad.

I just think the impact Amir can have by educating the masses with genuine science will have a vast majority of corporate folk concerning over the potential challenge acquiring their 17th Merc. These people have some power that comes with their positions and finances.....

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
But this goes against Toole. Toole says all of humanity prefers one specific kind of frequency response.

Harman research does not refer to "one specific kind of frequency response"...

An example:

1626006647507.png

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There are entirely too many YouTube channels devoted to product reviews, and that guy's channel is one that needs to go. He has zero domain expertise in audio and no evident ability as a host.

Who subscribes to his channel? I'm sure YouTube's algorithm puts his videos in front of people who are interested in audio, but once one sees one of his videos, why would one watch another?

I have watched a couple of Amir's videos, and, aside from the ludicrous disparity in technical knowledge between Amir and this guy, Amir--who makes no money from his channel--is a much better host.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom