• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it Worth Trading L50 for A90?

I listen with Dan Clark Aeon II Noires being fed by Topping D90SE and Topping L50. Is there any rational reason (read: something to be gained), if money is not part of the consideration, to replace the L50 with a Topping A90? Opinions sought and most welcome!

coomean

I listen with Dan Clark Aeon II Noires being fed by Topping D90SE and Topping L50. Is there any rational reason (read: something to be gained), if money is not part of the consideration, to replace the L50 with a Topping A90? Opinions sought and most welcome!
"rational reason (read: something to be gained)" to go from L50 to A90:
pre-amp function, native XLR input/output (no adaptor needed), higher power output.

For your usage, NO.

Leiker535

A matching aesthetic on the desk. Other than that and preamp, no.

OP
J
Very good! I sincerely appreciate and understand the feedback. Thank you all!

Chuckser

The L50 is not a Pre-Amplifier. You would therefore be using the on-chip volume control of the D90SE which means a loss of digital resolution. Obviously not to your headphones as previous comments point out. If you plan to expand your soundstage with a power amp and speakers the Eastern pre-amps are designed without "tilt" and may therefore sound bright, in your face and un-natural. A savy salesperson would sell you extortionately priced leads to roll off the frequency response. Have you considered a valve Pre-Amplifier? Have a look at the difference between the way a Tube Amp responds to impedance with frequency vis a vie Solid State.

Last edited:

Kitarist

Does anyone own both and how do they compare in terms of sound signature?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I own DCA Aeon 2 Noires and drive them with a Topping A90 fed by a Matrix Audio X-SABRE 3. The Noires sound Amazing with the A90. I had an A30Pro too but returned it and kept the A90.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
While the A30Pro sounds exactly the same as the A90, the A90 has a bit more power out of balanced outs and also match better in terms of size on top of the MA mini-i Pro 3. Not to mention that the A30Pro is a heater compared to the A90. I was going to keep both but at the end decided to return the A30Pro.

0C97D1C1-19C6-4B75-9F03-24CCED026467.jpeg

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Does anyone own both and how do they compare in terms of sound signature?
Maybe to late in the debate, but I own the two. There no such thing like sound signature.

I like the preamp function in the big one specially with my active speakers: I check the button volume before to fire the speakers.

Aesthetically I prefer the big one.

Anyway these units are so inexpensive you cannot be wrong.

I am an old guy and spent my life trying to find the most uncoloured preamp, spending a lot of money on the subject.

This is no more a question, thanks a lot Topping.

OP
J
I cannot tell a lie. Earlier this week, I ordered an A90 from Apos. It should arrive, fingers crossed, on 12/29/21. I decided to keep both amps (L50 and A90). I realized that the preamp "function" of my D90SE is inadequate to drive my AudioEngine 5+ active monitors (eventually to be replaced, I hope, with Revel M16s powered by a Topping PA3s). So, I'll own two essentially identically sounding HA amps and be able to listen to my speakers as well.

Top Bottom