• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it worth to upgrade to Topping D90 (non-MQA) if already own SMSL Su9?

BrokenOath

I currently have a SMSL SU9 that I use mostly with my tube headphone amp to drive my Sennheiser HD800s. Very happy with the combo, but at time I feel that the warmish sound reproduction side of he SU9 is a bit too warm for my taste. I am a detail freak so my question: does that make sense for me to spend another $800 on a used Topping D90? I haven't heard the D90 yet, I am simply basing my opinion about it solely based on online reviews.

deprogrammed

I currently have a SMSL SU9 that I use mostly with my tube headphone amp to drive my Sennheiser HD800s. Very happy with the combo, but at time I feel that the warmish sound reproduction side of he SU9 is a bit too warm for my taste. I am a detail freak so my question: does that make sense for me to spend another $800 on a used Topping D90? I haven't heard the D90 yet, I am simply basing my opinion about it solely based on online reviews.
The SMSL SU9 is one of the most accurate DACs measured here. There is nothing "warm" about it. The tube headphone amp is probably making a lot of distortion that you perceive as warm. Get a solid state head amp.

If you like detail a tube head amp is exactly the wrong tool for the job.

And what does warm mean?

What is the tube amp?

OP
B

BrokenOath

The tube amp is a 6N2-FU32, but it has the sonic characteristics of a solid state amp. My opinion about the SU9 sonic characteristic is based on comparison with my MP-D2 MK3 deluxe tube DAC. When I paired the MP-D2 with that same amp, I heard the opposite. With the MP-D2 the sound is clear, detailed, crisp. But with the SU9 the highs are a little bit tame, leading me to what I perceived as a warmish sound (it lacks detail, highs are distant, the low and mid frequencies are more forward).

HiFidFan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The tube amp is a 6N2-FU32, but it has the sonic characteristics of a solid state amp. My opinion about the SU9 sonic characteristic is based on comparison with my MP-D2 MK3 deluxe tube DAC. When I paired the MP-D2 with that same amp, I heard the opposite. With the MP-D2 the sound is clear, detailed, crisp. But with the SU9 the highs are a little bit tame, leading me to what I perceived as a warmish sound (it lacks detail, highs are distant, the low and mid frequencies are more forward).

The Topping won't "sound" like anything.

OP
B

BrokenOath

Too late, I just bought it. If I didn't I would have kept thinking about it. If I don't notice any improvement over my SU9, I'll simply sell it.

OP
B

BrokenOath

I have been listening to the Topping D90 for about half an hour, and all I can say that I am definitely keeping it.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have been listening to the Topping D90 for about half an hour, and all I can say that I am definitely keeping it.
if u have that much spare money - try replacing ur tube amp with Topping L30 or L50 - u can always return it if u don't like it. ;)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So what are your experiential differences in use? Done with tweaking the electronics for a while?

OP
B

BrokenOath

I am eyeing the A90, but I do love my single ended 6n2-fu32 tube amp.

OP
B

BrokenOath

So what are your experiential differences in use? Done with tweaking the electronics for a while?
I love listening to music, therefore I usually look for the best value for money in audio gears. I currently own both a tube DAC (MP-D2 MK3 deluxe) which I love, and the new Topping D90 which I equally love. Now all I need is a balanced headphone amp. Since I am happy with the D90, I am thinking about buying the A90.

Alessandro Gabriele

I want to buy the SMSL SU9 DAC, but I wish it was that the sound was clear, detailed, crisp. I understand that everything also depends on the amplification and the source. Personally I have an analog preamp and a class D power amp. So far I have been listening with a basic dac, the Topping D10, which provides a detailed sound. I would like the result to improve by entering the SMSL SU9. I ask anyone who has listened to it with a class D amp. Do you think I will have an improvement? And, in your opinion, will it respond to my expectations or will it modify the sound too much, not giving the detail I am looking for?

Last edited:
Top Bottom