• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it worth to get only ifi Zen Can without DAC

domijack281

I use mostly Spotify 320kpbs and Apple Music where most libraries are CD quality 24/48khz.
I thought about getting something more powerful to drive my Sundara headphones than hip-dac which already own.

I plan just to use only usb-c Apple DAC adapter connected to my Mac mini with my amp. I would use newfantasia 4.4 balanced cable which I already use with hip-dac.

To audition tidal hifi which I have free trial with mqa, I think about about just using 3.5mm or 4.4mm interconnect cable with my hip-dac set to 3oclock. Not sure if thats good idea or no no because doublechaining amp would lead to distortions? Ifi support told me it would be no problem as long as I set volume knock high for “clean signal”. I am bit skeptical about advice thought.

If in future I decided to add DAC to enable resolving high-res streaming should I go for dac with balanced output or am I ok going with RCA output only dacs like Modi, since the amp inside CAN is balanced between SE and balanced signals?

raif71

Major Contributor
I have both IFI Zen Can and Zen DAC coz they complement each other visual wise but IFI Zen Can on its own is just great for anyone at least for me. It is a balanced amp, has 4.4mm pentaconn connection and it's cheap. It has immense power for its size and price. In my use case with a gustard X16, and Topping E30, the amp has more headroom than when I pair them with Topping L30 or Singxer SA1. For example with Singxer SA1 and X16, with low gain, I maxed out the SA1 volume with soft classical music but with Zen Can and X16, I'm at 2nd gain (it has 4 gains!!) and the volume is at 2 or 3 pm, meaning it has more headroom in terms of volume.

Last edited:
I have both IFI Zen Can and Zen DAC coz they complement each other visual wise but IFI Zen Can on its own is just great for anyone at least for me. It is a balanced amp, has 4.4mm pentaconn connection and it's cheap. It has immense power for its size and price. In my use case with a gustard X16, and Topping E30, the amp has more headroom than when I pair them with Topping L30 or Singxer SA1. For example with Singxer SA1 and X16, with low gain, I maxed out the SA1 volume with soft classical music but with Zen Can and X16, I'm at 2nd gain (it has 4 gains!!) and the volume is at 2 or 3 pm, meaning it has more headroom in terms of volume.
Personally, do you think Zen Can is more than SA-1?

raif71

Major Contributor
Personally, do you think Zen Can is more than SA-1?
If you meant power, then yes. However power is not everything and to me brute force while I like it, I feel that sound finesse and resolution is better with the SA-1. The Can is in the box but once in awhile I take it out for a spin :)

If you meant power, then yes. However power is not everything and to me brute force while I like it, I feel that sound finesse and resolution is better with the SA-1. The Can is in the box but once in awhile I take it out for a spin :)
I am wondering Zen Can and SA-1. What I don't like in SA-1 is that the sudden increase in volume at the end.

Turambar

In one setup at my office I currently use Zen Can Signature HFM with a Topping E30 dac and Sundara headphones. I also connect alternatively the CAN to the lineout of a FiiO M11.

It works fine to my ears, and of course the Can powers the Sundara without any problem. Additionally, in the Signature mode it has incorporated an analog EQ button that you can like to use, or not.

raif71

Major Contributor
I am wondering Zen Can and SA-1. What I don't like in SA-1 is that the sudden increase in volume at the end.
In my setup with the SA-1, the volume is always at max (at normal gain) and connected to Gustard P26 preamp where I control the volume. I decided to get the preamp coz I don't like to use the SA-1 at high gain and the gain switches are at the bottom of the unit ie not ideal to change between the gains. Also, I get to connect 3 more DACs to the P26 :) (2 via xlr and 1 via rca). About the sudden increase in volume with the SA-1, I didn't really noticed it but YMMV.

Last edited:
In my setup with the SA-1, the volume is always at max (at normal gain) and connected to Gustard P26 preamp where I control the volume. I decided to get the preamp coz I don't like to use the SA-1 at high gain and the gain switches are at the bottom of the unit ie not ideal to change between the gains. Also, I get to connect 3 more DACs to the P26 :) (2 via xlr and 1 via rca). About the sudden increase in volume with the SA-1, I didn't really noticed it but YMMV.
Thanks for your sharing information. But if SA-1 is always at the highest volume level, can it destroy your headphone?

Top Bottom