• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it worth getting a Kef R3, already have the Revel M 106

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
To bad no local KEF dealers though you do live in a small country.

I said earlier that you'd have to listen in person and I do see you posted saying that you decided against trying the R3 which is prolly the right move - I'd guess if you are a vinyl lover the Revel is more likely to be your preference vs the R3. (Total educated guess here and reality may be very different.)
Anyway, take care!

jonfitch

Depends on seating distance and also room width. I tend to prefer the Kefs in a smaller room if without subs. The image is less diffuse and its much more pinpoint when in a closer seating distance and overall warmer with more bass detail. But for home theater I like Revel better because of the bigger image, and more diffuse, brighter sound.

Oklajosh

My two cents:

I had both the KEF R3s and the Revel M105s (not 106s). I compared them side by side for multiple songs and styles of music. Just the bookshelf speakers, no sub woofer. They are both great speakers.

I kept the Revel m105s and sold the Kef R3s.

The R3s had more bass and were brighter. High hat cymbals were louder and more clear on the Kefs. The bass was pretty impressive for bookshelf speakers. However, I thought the Revels were more accurate and flatter response. I think the KEF R3s would sound better for initial impressions, but the Revels would be better for longer listening sessions.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am a bookshelves & subs guy, listening mostly to analog sources
SACD, LP & CD

CD Audio chain
Speakers - Revel M106
CD Transport - Nu Prime CD8 T Pro
Dac Topping Dx7 Pro
Parasound P6 ; Pre Amp
Power Amp - NAD C298
Subs SVS PB 2000 Pro x2

Vinyl
Fluance RT 85 with Ortofon Blue MM Cart
Parasound Zphono XRM Phono stage

SACD
Yamaha CDS 1000

I usually like to have 2 sets of speakers, the Revel M106 is my present reference point
Really enjoy the neutral tones & how well it integrates with the subs

I have seen the Kef R3, mentioned in recommendations, along with the Revel M106
Noted that it measures very well
Amir had noted in his subjective review, that it sounds less enjoyable, than the Revel M16

My previous experience with Kef, was with the LS 50
which I recently sold, as I preferred the Revels over them

Is it worth picking up the Kef R3 for me ?
No one can decide this but you.

Streamc

My two cents:

I had both the KEF R3s and the Revel M105s (not 106s). I compared them side by side for multiple songs and styles of music. Just the bookshelf speakers, no sub woofer. They are both great speakers.

I kept the Revel m105s and sold the Kef R3s.

The R3s had more bass and were brighter. High hat cymbals were louder and more clear on the Kefs. The bass was pretty impressive for bookshelf speakers. However, I thought the Revels were more accurate and flatter response. I think the KEF R3s would sound better for initial impressions, but the Revels would be better for longer listening sessions.
What? I believe you. But KEF R3 and brighter?! Omg.
Also why do not you pair Revel with sub?

jonfitch

What? I believe you. But KEF R3 and brighter?! Omg.
Also why do not you pair Revel with sub?

It’s brighter on axis. But the Revels clearly have a brighter power response in the treble due to its wider dispersion. It just means he prefers more diffuse (indirect) sound vs direct sound it sounds like to me.

Reactions: ENG
Top Bottom