• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it worth chasing SINAD for subwoofer amplifiers?

nick-v

Just as the title suggests, is it worth chasing SINAD on the lower frequency spectrum of audio?

I run a small custom integration company and I'm striving to offer solutions that deliver the very best performance at any given price point.

I'm putting together a high-performance 2 channel "lifestyle" demo system in a 2-story open-concept living room (open to kitchen & dining area, an open stairway going upstairs and the main hallway to the front door).

My plan for this system is to use:

JBL Synthesis SCL-6 in-wall speakers (unfortunately the stud spacing for this retrofit is slightly off-center, so I need to use narrow speakers here or the aesthetic won't be symmetrical) These or the Wisdom Audio P6i are what I'm deciding between for this system
James Loudspeaker QX1020A dual 10" in-wall subwoofers (x2)
miniDSP SHD love the ability to time-align the subwoofers and the Dirac Live correction (unfortunately this is a low-margin product, but the performance makes it appealing)
Benchmark AHB2 to power the SCL-6's (which call for max 200 watts into their 4 Ohm load)
NAD C298 or Crown XLS1502 to power the Subwoofers - This is my dilemma, both amps should have roughly the same amount of power with both channels driven into 4 Ohms. My cost on the NAD is ~ 2.5x higher than the Crown, is it worth it to chase SINAD here? I try to build my demo systems to demonstrate the best (or close) performance that's available for clients to experience, and down-sell from there to fit their budget (when required). Is there any way the difference would be audible?

The gear will all be tucked away in a rack in the basement with the network & control system gear, NAS, Roon Nucleus +, etc.. so fan noise isn't an issue.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
I'd say it's less important. Noise could be a problem if it's power line hum but hiss would be attenuated. Distortion shouldn't be a problem either unless you drive the amplifier into distortion. (Personally, I NEVER hear distortion from ANY properly-functioning amplifier that's not driven into clipping. If you can't hear noise, power would be my only consideration.)

DanTheMan

Out of the 13 amps I’ve owned powering subs, one had an audible hum but it was some sort of defect because I had 4 others with the same amp and none of them hummed. Barring any defects, my bet would be that you are alright either way.

Top Bottom