• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it valid to AB test different streaming services (Tidal, Spotify) by recording system audio?

gustavjung

Hey!
I want to AB test different streaming services in foobar using ABX comparator or in a DJ software just switching between A and B.
For this purpose will it be correct to just record the system audio in wav while a streaming service is playing and use these files for the test?
Will those recordings reflect a quality of a streaming service the same as if I just play it from its app?

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The easiest way is to do a blind test. Or you can get this by using Audacity WASAPI loopback then use FoobarABX comparator that way

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If possible turn off all kind of replay gain functionality ie if the functions that makes the playback level the same between tracks .

It can be hard to be really sure that a track is from the same master ? So you don’t compare apples with oranges .

One service may very well have a better version off some music and the other service better versions of something else .i think no one can know , not even the so called hifi tier offered by some do any QC of the music it’s still the labels uploading what they please .

For example if wanted to stream “ hifi quality “ I would want the optimal master of an album the format is secondary .
( we all heard hd tracks 24/192 music that’s the terrible loudnes war modernised version of the album , then I prefer the cassette version :facepalm: )

But it can be done make some obscure music choice with very good recordings for your test and no one would have bothered with a remaster :)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey!
I want to AB test different streaming services in foobar using ABX comparator or in a DJ software just switching between A and B.
For this purpose will it be correct to just record the system audio in wav while a streaming service is playing and use these files for the test?
Will those recordings reflect a quality of a streaming service the same as if I just play it from its app?
Yes it's valid. You can test your setup and approach by recording a CD rip, and comparing to the original rip of the CD, if the two files match you're good. Delta wave is great for this comparison.

Top Bottom