• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it true that with unbalanced interlinks you can only achieve 90db snr

Waterking

I was watching a youtube interview with a worker from Metrum acoustics and he claimes it is impossible to achieve more than 90db SNR with unbalanced interlinks. If you want a higher SNR you need to switch to balanced cables. The reason unbalanced interlinks can't achieve more than 90db according to him is the 2v standard.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I was watching a youtube interview with a worker from Metrum acoustics and he claimes it is impossible to achieve more than 90db SNR with unbalanced interlinks. If you want a higher SNR you need to switch to balanced cables. The reason unbalanced interlinks can't achieve more than 90db according to him is the 2v standard.

Nonsense. (edit: if I change the sample rate to 48k, SINAD goes to 111 dB)

unbal.png

Last edited:
OP
W

Waterking

It's this interview, unfortunatly it is not translated to english.
half way he shows the differences between balanced and unbalanced on his oscilloscope.

Speedskater

Major Contributor
It's not a theoretical limit. But Neil Muncy (RIP), John Windt, Jim Brown & Bill Whitlock have often written about the problems in audiophile RCA interconnect systems. Poor design and component choices are common.

Top Bottom