• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible to make a solid-state amp sound like a tube amp? PC>DAC>Speakers setup

notsodeadlizard

So I'm looking to get a new PC speaker setup.

I currently have:
  • Focal Aria 906 speakers
  • ADI-2 DAC fs
These aren't really near-field speakers but I could try to make them work (2-3 feet away from me).
I really like the sound of tube amps. I was considering buying a willsenton R8 to pair with these speakers but since these will be my PC speakers (on 8+ hours everyday) I feel like I would burn through tubes too quickly.
My question is: if I buy a solid-state amp is there a way to use some kind of filter or plugin to make it sound like a tube amp? Since this will be connected to my PC>DAC>AMP>Focal speakers.

or, would it be better for me just to save these speakers for my living room and buy some cheaper PC speakers like Klipsch ProMedia Heritage 2.1 or some kind of bookshelf speakers with an internal amp.

I'll be listening to Rap and EDM on Spotify and YouTube videos. So the source quality won't be the best.
Compressed to asphalt smoothness rap - very cool DAC - tube amp - low efficiency small bookshelf speaker ?

It is not prohibited.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No, these aren't. Very bad move, IMHO.
Wide directivity of 906s is hardly compatible with such a short listening distance.
Honest question. Is it the directivity or the distance at which the (sound from) the drivers full integrates that makes a speaker good/bad for near field listening... or both or those and more or something else all together? Any reading you could point me to on this?

notsodeadlizard

Honest question. Is it the directivity or the distance at which the (sound from) the drivers full integrates that makes a speaker good/bad for near field listening... or both or those and more or something else all together? Any reading you could point me to on this?
"The Aria 906 is recommended for rooms measuring from 160ft2 (15m2) and from a listening distance of 8ft (2.5m)"
This is what the developers of these speakers say, and they know what they are talking about.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Tubes are made on quiet a few places today. China (Shuguang, PSvane, Black Treasure, ...) is a bigger tube producer than Reflektor (Tung-Sol, Electro Harmonix, Svetlana S-Logo, Mullard) in Saratov in Russia and these days Chinese brands supplies a lot of OEM tubes to high end tube brands. The Reflector/Sarotov quality is not that good anymore, and those are mostly only used for guitar amps (like EH).

And JJ Electronic als build quiet good tubes in Čadca in Slovakia (EU), it's a successor of the infamous Tesla tube factory on the same space, after the communist Tesla factories were privatised after the fall of communism. And their quality is quiet good.

And you got some esotheric tube buildes also, who ask ridiculous prices for high quality tubes "for audiophiles". The most known is the German Elrog with their factory in Hagenow (Germany), but claims to be a decentent of the Telefunken factory in Ulm (Germany). Tubes are far from dead, or only a Russian bussiness like some seems to think.

notsodeadlizard

I was attempting to ask a more generalized question with this situation as an example. Not trying to question/interrogate this specific situation.
In general, this is a rather difficult topic.
Yes, everything affects.
That's why near-field studio monitors exist.
That is why they are small.
That is why they have a limited frequency range.
Much has been written about everything else on the internet.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
And you got some esotheric tube buildes also, who ask ridiculous prices for high quality tubes "for audiophiles". The most known is the German Elrog with their factory in Hagenow (Germany), but claims to be a decentent of the Telefunken factory in Ulm (Germany). Tubes are far from dead, or only a Russian bussiness like some seems to think.
There is nothing esoteric about ELROG imo.

ELROG indeed has a great tradition going back to tubes for industrial use. I know the current owner of the company and have had an intensive exchange with a developer who is responsible for their latest developments. This was when I designed my new SET Amps lately.

They are producing interesting new tubes and have in-depth knowledge at ELROG.

Last edited:

notsodeadlizard

If I listened to rap, I would do it authentically.
I would find a really cool ghetto blaster from the gold hip-hop/rap years.
JVC RC-550 for example.
90 minutes chrome dioxide cassettes, Wu-Tang Clan...

Screenshot_20230221_183240.png

Perhaps this desire for authenticity is called "audiophilia", I do not know the meaning of this word.

(maybe it is a joke, maybe not)

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JVC RC-550 for example.

View attachment 266419

Perhaps this desire for authenticity is called "audiophilia", I do not know the meaning of this word.

That boombox came out 13 years before Wu-Tang's first record, the authenticity is already slipping a bit. :confused:

Anyway, as far as emulating tube sound via VST, yes definitely. EQAPO also works as a VST host, which makes it all pretty easy.

For subtle harmonic distortion-type stuff, I like these: https://varietyofsound.wordpress.com/vst-effects/ - they aren't 'tube' in particular but add similar types of distortion in relatively low amounts.

You also have commercial, well-regarded offerings like this: https://www.softube.com/harmonics or even a freebie: https://www.softube.com/saturationknob

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JVC RC-550 for example.

View attachment 266419

That's going right at the head of my ghetto blaster list.

Capitol C

Was done in pre-history. It is worth looking at all the debates over it, but this is a good place to start.

Earthbound

Not an answer to the question, but one can generally wonder what the market for tubes and tube amplifiers will look like in the future since tubes are largely manufactured in Russia. Electro-Harmonix for example, which basically supplies all tube guitar amps, as far as I know has all the manufacturing in Russia.
Many countries manufacture tubes And new ones are popping up. Western Electric here in the States and Linlai are just 2 examples. If there is a demand, someone will provide the service and take peoples money.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Foobar also hosts VSTs so not necessarily a DAW needed. (But I never tried it as I have a DAW anyhow).
Yes, but only 32 bit. If using VTS plugins in foobar one have to check the compability. Many VTS plugins are 64 bit these days.

Last edited:

Dismayed

I use a Woo Audio headphone amp, but I use a solid-state beast to drive the speakers in my main system. The headphone amp was a matter of curiosity. It’s beautiful and I can warm my hands over it during our long New England winters.

1677241400229.jpeg

Top Bottom