• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible to make a solid-state amp sound like a tube amp? PC>DAC>Speakers setup

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
The OP can (could), if they wish...

1) whip up one of these (I don't think the kits are still available, although eBAY might turn up a used one).

index.php

2) spring for one of these. They're cheap! :D
1677244482763.png

(one of the weirdest cheap add-on tube distortion boxes I've seen to date -- and such boxes are Legion -- so that's saying something! ;) )

:cool:;)

steve59

Major Contributor
Bob Carver did it, He took one of his amps and voiced to sound identical to either the CJ or VTL amps on stereophile many moons ago.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bob Carver did it, He took one of his amps and voiced to sound identical to either the CJ or VTL amps on stereophile many moons ago.
You just beat me to posting this:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
That's going right at the head of my ghetto blaster list.
JVC was, at the least, the McIntosh, or Luxman*, of connoisseur boom boxes. I am not being (entirely) facetious, either. :)

tlqtmelplonprehli9zr.jpg

Random internet image -- the current prices for things like this are astounding. :)

It all started (IMO, of course) with this epochal early 1970s model -- featuring a "cellular horn tweeter" (JVC's words, not mine).
Not exactly a 511B, but they get points for trying!

1677245542271.png

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Lafayette-Catalogs/Lafayette-1975-750.pdf (page 58)

w00b3r

Came across this earlier this week. The freqtube tube box.

A tube box that lets you route audio thru it, and back into your DAW if you choose.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Came across this earlier this week. The freqtube tube box.

A tube box that lets you route audio thru it, and back into your DAW if you choose.

It is not clear if this has any tubes in it or just emulations? The emulations might be good, but clearly what look like tubes inside are lit by some other light source than the tubes themselves. I notice in the spec they don't say what tubes are used making me think the answer is none.

w00b3r

It is not clear if this has any tubes in it or just emulations? The emulations might be good, but clearly what look like tubes inside are lit by some other light source than the tubes themselves. I notice in the spec they don't say what tubes are used making me think the answer is none.
you're right, but i see multiple references to "2 tube types"E83CC and 12AT7. I think it really may have 2 of each of those in them. Hopefully you aren't paying $800 for an emulation box. wouldn't make a lot of sense IMO when they can just do that via plugin anyways.

w00b3r

They have videos showcasing the product on their official youtube. It apparently does have 4 real tubes, 2 different tube types.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
T1950_P0037_Front-Perspective_XL.png

Behringer T1950 was a 8 channel balanced i/o tube interface. It used a starved plate design and 12ax7 tubes to add a "tube sparkle" sound.
They can still be found for sale as used.

Top Bottom