• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible that I don't like rock?

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor

SKBubba

Start with the basics like Berry, Holly, Elvis, Beatles, Stones and Led Zeppelin. Branch out from there to pop rock, blues rock, hard rock, etc. If you appreciate musianship, go down the progressive rock path. Or even fusion. If you appreciate raw energy, go down the punk and grunge path. If you appreciate songwriting, check out folk rock and Americana. Then branch out more from any of those based on what you like.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, I do like some prog rock. Old King Crimson, the first ELPs.
Lots here will be into prog including myself. Thought Yes was the greatest band ever cause they could actually play an instrument and they had time changes and compositions like more cerebral artists. I can see why critiques of prog don’t like it. The artists can get a bit lost in some grand thematic instead of just cranking out something fun about having sex with a hot teacher like Van Halen. Either works depending on my wife’s mood I suppose. :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots here will be into prog including myself. Thought Yes was the greatest band ever cause they could actually play an instrument and they had time changes and compositions like more cerebral artists. I can see why critiques of prog don’t like it. The artists can get a bit lost in some grand thematic instead of just cranking out something fun about having sex with a hot teacher like Van Halen. Either works depending on my wife’s mood I suppose. :)
Forgot Yes. They used to be a fave.

Robin L

Master Contributor
We are normal and we like Bert Wheedon:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@musica I know I'll draw fire for this one, but if you like to explore, poke around this website.

With music one likes what one likes, some sticks for lifetime, most fades over time. The value comes from visceral enjoyment and acumen may or may not follow. I feel musical enjoyment must have its now that I am listening to this (whatever this is) there is no other thing moments. You might as well asked everyone what the best is food is.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what are the main rock genres and which sub-genres of songs do you post, I want to understand if I like something?
thank you

Technically The Beatles are a Rock Band as is some of the current work from Machine Gun Kelly. They cannot be further apart in sound.

What music do you like? I'm sure people can find examples of 80's 90's 00's or modern or classic rock.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Of course it is possible that you don't like rock.
In 2022, I don't even know what rock is considered to be.

I listen to what might be called "Americana" music mostly at this point in my life -- although many of my preferred performers aren't technically "American" -- tho' many are from somewhere in North America.

And then there is stuff like this --

which I think is terrific.
But...

Not rock 'n' roll, no matter how you slice it... although not that different than this, deep down at its core:

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What music do you like and listen to? Rock has been the main popular musical art form since the 1950s. My 89 year old father could be excused for not ‘getting’ rock though he could have been a fan. Not too old to be one had he been hip. He just refused to listen to anything that would dilute his affections of high culture and was an opera and classical fan even in his 20s. How did you manage to avoid rock music?

Last edited:

mrbungle

@musica I know I'll draw fire for this one, but if you like to explore, poke around this website.

With music one likes what one likes, some sticks for lifetime, most fades over time. The value comes from visceral enjoyment and acumen may or may not follow. I feel musical enjoyment must have its now that I am listening to this (whatever this is) there is no other thing moments. You might as well asked everyone what the best is food is.
The latest best new rock album over there is from Chat Pile. If that’s not a nice introduction, I don’t know what else is :p

SKBubba

What did you listen to in your adolescent years? That's when our musical tastes are formed, IMO. Depending on your age, maybe rock wasnt't a thing in that period?

Last edited:

Duckeenie

Music map is a fairly good music discovery tool. Punch in an artist you like, click on the branches to go further down the rabbit hole.

I find it odd, maybe even pretentious when people say they don't like any rock or pop music because most of is is designed specifically to be liked. What they really mean is I don't want to like it because I have a prejudice. We all do it to an extent, for those of us that have kids, look at some of the songs we sing along to with them, no way I'm going to tell anyone outside the family that I like anything by Steps. This post will autodestruct in 10 secs, you won't be able to prove a thing. :p

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Is it possible that I don't like rock?
Of course it's possible!!! Different people have different tastes. What do you like? If you are "young" maybe you like rap?

Most people like what they grew-up with. I still like the music I grew-up with (and newer and some older music too). There's a time in adolescence and young adulthood when we are emotional and romantic... Usually music is important in our lives, and young musicians (and other artists) are usually very creative during this time of their life.

But some people are music lovers (like me) and some people don't care that much about it. It's the same with sound quality. Some people really like good sound reproduction (like me) and some people can enjoy the underlying music without concern to the quality.

I'm over 60 and I started listening-to and enjoying music in the late 1960s. Over the years my tastes have broadened and I think the early 1960's were "the best" even though that was before my time (The Beatles, The Beach Boys and many others).

At various times my favorite band was Creedence Clearwater Revival, Fleetwood Mac, and Dire Straits. But now, it just depends on what mood I'm in. I usually like something with a "good beat" but sometimes I like a slow song. AC/DC is about as "hard rock" as I get. Sometime probably around the 1990s, maybe when I was over 30 years old, I mostly stopped listening to current music.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Of course it's possible!!! Different people have different tastes. What do you like? If you are "young" maybe you like rap?
I am 72 and I like rap but only by Blondie. :cool: :D

Bamyasi

Death Metal, those guys steal from classical music.
Everybody does, including classical composers themselves. After all, there are only 12 notes in (western) music scales and a limited set of harmonies can be derived of them.

movehome

Here's one of the best current rock/metal bands. Some people consider them to be "Goth Metal" I think. Not exactly sure what that's about though.

Unto Others. The song is "Hell is for Children," a Pat Benatar cover. Their songs are all pretty catchy like this one.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Seems like you are unrockable

I cursed the day we met so many times
I've tried everything, under the starry skies of Mexico
I put my favourite records on for you
You didn't move that upset me
You said you couldn't find the beat
But Ricky Martin's cute
He's so unappetising
Like you and me different
Baby I like you
It's true, it's true
But it's never gonna work out between you and me I know one thing (so sure)
You're unrockable
You don't know what a shock that was
My girlfriend is unrockable
How can you sit still with the Beatsteaks
When crooners bring tears to your eyes
Since you've been living with me Shakira's been playing in the house every day
I can't take it no more
I think I'll throw you out
You say you like it quiet and peaceful
Don't be so uncomfortable
Your cuddly scam won't work Pack up your things
Ciao, see you around
Yes, you've seen us before down the aisle
Baby that'll never happen
You're completely and utterly
Unrockable
Unrockable
Yeah yeah yeah
Unrockable
But finally the penny drops
And you start to do
Baby don't take it so hard (I think I rock)
You better start banging' now (I think I'm rockin')
And soon you'll realise (I think I rock)
That rock rules the world
Unrockable
Unrockable
Unrockable
Yeah yeah yeah

Last edited:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
It’s a little hard to believe when someone says they don’t like such a broad genre such as rock or classical. There so many different (related) styles there’s bound to be some album/artists or piece of music at least “likeable” out there — that could still be called rock or classical etc. even though to one’s mind they may not sound like stereotypically belonging to the group at first.

Top Bottom