• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it possible for a headphone to have Bass Volume that sounds how the artist intended it?

john5220

Over the years you may have heard, HD 600 has "better" bass than HD 555 and so on. The truth is nobody has ever asked about bass accuracy, not the average consumer anyways. Most are asking about Bass Volume that you get with subwoofers.

Now I have never heard what a song in a studio songs like with the real bass drums but is it anywhere like the HD58x? being open back it leads me to believe it sounds nothing like actual bass drums?

Also why does Open back headphones suck so much at bass volume?

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Over the years you may have heard, HD 600 has "better" bass than HD 555 and so on. The truth is nobody has ever asked about bass accuracy, not the average consumer anyways. Most are asking about Bass Volume that you get with subwoofers.

Now I have never heard what a song in a studio songs like with the real bass drums but is it anywhere like the HD58x? being open back it leads me to believe it sounds nothing like actual bass drums?

Also why does Open back headphones suck so much at bass volume?

No headphones sound like real-life drums, regardless of the price or type.

Hardly any speakers do, either.

As a bass player, I judge headphones by how they reproduce bass recordings I've made of my own instruments.

I use E-string based recordings (the lowest string) of both my electric and acoustic bass, similar to these:

Between the attack, the fundamental, the overtones, and the decay, you have to pick your compromises.

Top Bottom