• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it impossible to avoid the pop when interface connects to computer via USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancreas

I give up on this. Im autistic. I hate these pops more than anything. They really bother me.

I tried

- 3 different computers, still happens on all them
- I bought a Scarlett with anti thump technology, still happens tho at least it blocks pops when turning off pc
- I installed a PCIe USB card in my computer, still happens
- I tried removing other USBs still happens

Now all I can think of is the problem is Focusrite interface as just garbage and they all do this and I need buy a different brand.

Or the problem is my Genelec speaker and maybe the amp inside them is so powerful, not even anti thump circuitry can stop them from popping when I turn on PC and it connects to interface via USB

People say “just do the sequence, speakers first off, speakers last on”

If I wanted to do that annoying manuever of standing up every time, I wouldn’t have been researching and testing to get rid of these pops.

Maybe if the power buttons were in front.

I can’t even put the speakers on a power strip, as if turned on and off this way, it bypasses the soft start/shutdown feature and makes a very loud pop that doesn’t happen if you use the buttons on the back

So even using power sequencer wont help me get rid of this.

Another “solution” could be using a monitor controller like mckie that has a mute button, so you mute every time on the sequence rather than standing up to turn them off.

These pops are driving crazy and unfortunately i have no choice now but to stand up to turn off speakers before my pc

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As said before in one of your other threads. No pop for me. Focusrite 4i4 and Neumann KH80/KH750. Focusrite Control is one of the best and most stable in these segments, but you have to use it correctly.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

As said before in one of your other threads. No pop for me. Focusrite 4i4 and Neumann KH80/KH750. Focusrite Control is one of the best and most stable in these segments, but you have to use it correctly.

More than likely is my speakers the genelec may be more prone to popping or have more powerful amps

Explains why it happened on solo and 18i8

And 3 different computers

There is nothing on Focusrite control thats gon prevent this pops

I dont have other studio monitors to test this

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Only solution now is to buy a Mackie big knob, so I can mute the speakers rather than turning them off and on with back button

TSB

Clicks and pops when turning on or switching digital sources are a sign of bad (software) engineering

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Another solution is just to leave the computer and interface on ALL THE TIME, and let everything else sleep the computer monitor, the speakers with the bystand feature, etc

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

Clicks and pops when turning on or switching digital sources are a sign of bad (software) engineering

If that's the case, then how every studio expert recommends and parrots the sequence?

Since speakers and interface have amps, what happens is the interface is picking up the click of the PC digital feed being switched on when it wakes up then the amp in your speakers is amping it again so makes the initial pop quite audible, pretty much like flicking a light switch. It's the amplified sound of an electrical contact being made.

Some amps have circuitry that separates the input and output(s) so they don't push through the pop sound when the inputs suddenly go live from whatever device is feeding them. If you don't get the pop with your setup, more than likely the amps in your speakers have this implemented. The amps in my speakers clearly don't, which is explains why the guy above doesn't have pops with a Scarlett interface.

They detect a signal and then put the signal to the output gradually over a short period rather than just slamming open the flood gates or being a straight through pipe that amps up any pops from further back in the feed.

Only solution is turning the speaker volume down/mute before turning on the PC (assuming they even have a volume knob, otherwise you'll need a monitor controller) or turn the speakers last, which is really annoying.

Another solution is just leave the computer and audio interface on 24/7, that way, there will never be any pops. Let the speakers go on stand-by mode and wake up, when there is a signal from the PC. Power off everything else as computer monitor, etc. Simple as that. Problem solved.

Computers at hospitals, military and servers run 24/7 and last like 10 years easily.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Thread closed. Duplicate posting. Consolation of conversation here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom