• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it important to have uniform amplification across the LCR channels?

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I was investigating Perlisten speakers for my 7.4 HT system (details below) and in emails with Matt Poes he mentioned as an aside that having uniform amplification across the LCR channels would be ideal. At the time I had March P701 monoblocks for R/L and an AHB2 in mono for the center. I recently sold the P701s and i'm looking for new amplification for the LCR speakers. I have an STR power amp that I could use for the R/L and an AHB2 for the center. The STR power amp was measured by Gene but I could not find a reading of SINAD in that review. If someone has calculated a SINAD from that data please LMK. For me the alternative would be 3 AHB2s, if the consensus is that consistency is important. During movie listening i get peaks of 105db at the LP so I need plenty of power.

AMV60/MCA525 (surrounds)/undetermined LCR amps/228be/426be/Revel surrounds/4 f113v2 subs

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think it's much more important to have similar speakers then amplifiers. However I've heard that the center speaker must reproduce more SPL than L and R so it might make sense to use the amplifier with the highest power for the center.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
That depends on the movie. Explos other big effects and the music are usually LR and dialogue in the centre. Different amps will make no difference (unless one is really bad). And sometimes you want the centre channel louder to hear the dialogue in a bad mix.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Really depends on the amps. I have level matched different amps - but this only worked at one volume/level and they "drifted" either side. That is not all amps are perfectly linear in output with changes to input.

Edit: what you need is buckeye 3 channel purifi amp....

Soundmixer

Absolutely you do need all three front channels to have the same wattage. The center channel is the most important channel as it carries over 80% of the soundtrack. Next would be the Left/Right mains. There are times when sound effects are blended across the entire front soundstage, and if one channel is less powerful than the others, that channel can overload before the others. Listen to Matthew....at least in this case.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
The amplifiers only need to perform similarly, for instance have the same wattage. You should also be aware if any of the amps invert phase so you can wire the speakers accordingly.

Top Bottom