• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it even worth upgrading from Magni 1 amp/Fiio E10 dac for HD800 + SDR mod?

Blue_Jay1995

Basically, if I'm looking for something that improves on the technicalities on the HD800 over my current setup, is it worth upgrading or is my setup audibly transparent? I would like to get something like a JDS Atom + Khadas toneboard but I'm not even sure it's worth doing because of all the conflicting information I've seen. I don't care about small changes in sound signature, I can EQ for those.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That DAC/amp pair should be close enough to transparent that any upgrades would be more for peace of mind than anything else.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
e10k is decent but there are better DACs (Khadas, Modi 3). I did notice improvement when switching from PC sound card dac (paired to Magni2) to dedicated outside DAC

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an e10k. It did not last too long.

Svperstar

Thats a cheap DAC/amp setup with a very expensive headphone. Maybe shop around. I like my Mass Drop SDAC, sounds better then my Modi Multibit

OP
B

Blue_Jay1995

Thats a cheap DAC/amp setup with a very expensive headphone. Maybe shop around. I like my Mass Drop SDAC, sounds better then my Modi Multibit
Logically I would go for the best measuring amp/dac and just be done with it, I just don't know at what point specs stop mattering because they are beyond our hearing capabilities. I'd like to go for something like the ifi iDSD BL just because it has some cool features I'd like to try and looks fairly portable, but logic dictates I would just pick up an Atom and Tone Board and be done with it. I would have upgraded a long time ago I've just never seen so much conflicting information on a topic as there is on amps/dacs.

Svperstar

Typically people recommend a bright can is paired with a warm source. Might want to get the ifi tube amp they sell.

Ratatoskr

HD800 and HD800S tend to prefer tube and tube hybrid amps. I used a Vali 2 until I had my Kenzie built.

Tatteredmidnight

HD800 and HD800S tend to prefer tube and tube hybrid amps. I used a Vali 2 until I had my Kenzie built.
Anthropomorphizing headphones is fun, but its the people that like tube amps, the headphones are just dynamic elements ;)

Logically I would go for the best measuring amp/dac and just be done with it, I just don't know at what point specs stop mattering because they are beyond our hearing capabilities. I'd like to go for something like the ifi iDSD BL just because it has some cool features I'd like to try and looks fairly portable, but logic dictates I would just pick up an Atom and Tone Board and be done with it. I would have upgraded a long time ago I've just never seen so much conflicting information on a topic as there is on amps/dacs.
I have no experience with the ifi, but Armir's review seemed very positive. In addition to transparency, I'd consider power to be a key point here. Power is what keeps a transducer or driver under control rather than mechanically damped by the surround. If the ifi can deliver enough power to drive your headphones without clipping or distorting at your preferred listening level, I don't think there would be an audible difference between it and any of the other well rated units.

Past that, its down to features, form factor, and build quality that you are buying. Get the device with the best combination of those for your use case and you should be a happy camper.

maxxevv

Major Contributor

That's a self-fulfilling fallacy, not a fact.

In my experience trying it, the HD800 pairs well with amps that are have globs of power headroom and ideally extremely low in distortion or harmonics. Its a very revealing headphone, where distortion in the system readily shows up. Be it the amp or the DAC source.

Coloration or not is a personal preference thing, not that it 'prefers' it. Its the users preferring it.

Try auditioning a Class A amp with loads of power, and a very transparent one. The Massdrop THX and the JDS Atom being well measuring candidates. And pair it with a good measuring DAC such as the Khadas Tone Board or the Topping D50 or the SMSL SU-8.

You'll be surprised how enjoyable it sounds despite people complaining about its "peakiness" and "glare". My experience was that its over emphasised by the distortion in lesser combinations.

As basis of comparison, I was listening to the HD800 hooked to a Chord Hugo2 that belonged to a friend.

Dovi

Hello,

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I have HD800s paired with magni 3 and modi multibit.
Is this a good setup ? I saw the review of the multibit and it doesn't look good at all. Can I improve the sound of these cans by changing the modi ?

Would Modi 3 be an improvement over multibit ?

Thanks !

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Basically, if I'm looking for something that improves on the technicalities on the HD800 over my current setup, is it worth upgrading or is my setup audibly transparent? I would like to get something like a JDS Atom + Khadas toneboard but I'm not even sure it's worth doing because of all the conflicting information I've seen. I don't care about small changes in sound signature, I can EQ for those.

get modi3/magni3 stack. buy b-stock to save some money. ;)

Top Bottom