• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it a good idea to apply equalizer to a pair of third-party headphone ear pads that change sound signature?

• Thread starter Deleted member 58865
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58865

There are a few options I have considered.
  • Buy a pair of headphones for which you can buy durable stock pads or durable third-party pads that don't change sound signature a lot.
  • Buy a pair of durable and comfortable third-party pads, measure the sound with a microphone, and apply equalizer with software.
If I could apply equalizer to any pair of third-party pads and get neutral sound signature, then I don't have to worry about which replacement pads to buy.

However, is it a good idea to apply equalizer to third-party pads? Can equalizer actually bring about neutral sound signature without too much hassle?

Upon further consideration, I realized that equalizer will not bring back the stock sound stage unless the replacement pads try to reproduce the stock sound stage as much as possible. Thus, if you buy replacement pads, you should at least buy a pair that reproduces the stock sound stage. Equalizer may or may not be able to bring about neutral sound signature.

I don't particularly like neutral sound signature, but I want the conceptual simplicity of neutral sound signature. With neutral sound signature, what I get is close to what was intended during recording. Getting what was intended is simple and doesn't add complications.

Last edited by a moderator:

wwenze

Major Contributor
It's good idea enough to apply equalizer to your headphone if it is known to be imperfect to begin with. Some players / apps even have built-in EQ profiles for various headphones.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

It's good idea enough to apply equalizer to your headphone if it is known to be imperfect to begin with. Some players / apps even have built-in EQ profiles for various headphones.
Sure, but if third-party pads are thicker or thinner than the stock ones or have different angles than the stock ones, then equalizer may not be able to fix the wrong sound stage produced by a different shape.

Could a different shape of pads ruin the sound stage which cannot be fixed until the shape is changed?

Or, can equalizer fix 95% of problems with any or most third-party pads? I guess at least the thickness and the angle should be close enough to the stock pads so that equalizer can make third party pads sound almost like the stock ones or improve the sound over the stock pads.

I think it would be easier to improve the sound over the stock pads than to make third party pads sound like the stock pads.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

This is an amazon review for brainwavz micro-suede oval pads. It seems parametric EQ is good enough to make third party pads sound good?
2023-03-05 13:59:36.png

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

Maybe, next time I buy a pair of ear pads, I will just buy something like brainwavz velour/micro-suede pads and use equalizer to get neutral sound signature.

Should be good enough?

isostasy

Hey, you've posted a few threads about pads now and I get the perception you're just getting yourself in a tangle.

From what I've gathered, you either want longer-lasting pads for your headphones or, failing that, you want to get a a new pair of headphones which comes with or is compatible with more resilient pads.

You need to accept compromise somewhere though. Pads are a consumable item, and no matter how hard you wish they weren't, that's not going to change. You need to think of them more like socks. There is no sock that will last forever unless you make serious compromises on comfort, or commit to repairing them over your lifetime (darning). In the same way, you need to assess the different qualities of your earpads, decide where you can make compromises, and if you want them to last longer you have to be willing to get handy with a needle and thread.

To me the, qualities of an earpad which are in tension are:

• sound quality
  • durability or longevity
  • comfort

You cannot have all three which is what you're currently asking for. From what I've seen so far you don't want the sound signature of your headphones compromised in any way, yet you want a material which lasts a very long time.

Coupled to this is the fact that an ear pad is not made of a single material but is usually a ring of foam with a stitched material outside it, and sometimes a proprietary coupling ring. I could recommend any Sennheiser open back based on your current criteria, because I've never seen the velour material flake away or degrade, but the foam inside does compress over time and eventually disintegrate.

You also don't seem to be judging cost in a rational manner. You're now talking about getting a measurement microphone to develop EQ profiles for different third party pads, yet you've disregarded genuine leather pads people have suggested because they're 'expensive'.

These are the choices you have:

• Ensure longevity by using headphones with readily available pads rather than attempting to keep a single pair of pads for ages. This is why myself and many others have a pair of Sennheiser HD6xx series headphones: the pads last a few years before decompressing to the point where fidelity is compromised, but Sennheiser have been producing headphones which use these pads, and therefore the pads themselves, for around 30 or more years.
  • Use headphones with pads which are not durable but extremely cheap to replace. This would be a Koss or Grado with foam pads, of which you have a massive range of choice. Even these can last a long time if you're careful with them.
  • Find a pair of fairly durable pads which don't suffer the same decompression issues as Sennheisers, but still accept the fact they will need replacing at some point. This choice influences the headphones you buy though e.g. you cannot use Sennheisers with 3rd party pads without compromising the frequency response. Additionally you need to buy pads which have been measured, or have the means to measure them yourself. You could then use this as a basis for EQ, but this is potentially harder than it sounds because from my measurements pads can introduce peaks and nulls which are hard to EQ, especially since you'll presumably be using a flat plate coupler.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

You also don't seem to be judging cost in a rational manner. You're now talking about getting a measurement microphone to develop EQ profiles for different third party pads, yet you've disregarded genuine leather pads people have suggested because they're 'expensive'.
I honestly don't know what it takes or costs to measure headphones. Thus, I have no idea on the financial or time cost of developing EQ profiles for different third party pads.

Wouldn't there be a cheap good way to develop EQ profiles for arbitrary pads? It doesn't have to be perfect. It just needs to be good enough. I assume there is a way to do it cheaply?

I accept the fact that pads will need replacing, but I don't want them to flake on me. At least, I want pads which do not flake or crack. Flakes are infuriating and a deal breaker. I don't want residues on my face, my fingers, and my desk. I assume cracks will also leave residues.

I think hifiman he400se is a good choice because there are valour pads made by hifiman. Those valour pads are compatible with he400se.

I don't want the sound signature compromised sinificantly. But, I'm okay with changed sound signatures if they are better than or close to the stock sound signature. Better means being closer to neutral sound signature.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

I ordered Brainwavz ProStock pads for my ATH-M40x headphones. In the future, I may buy hifiman he400se. ProStock pads are designed to be compatible with ATH-M series headphones.

Okay, unless I have acces to a cheap way to measure headphones, I will stick to durable stock pads or durable third-party pads which are designed to work with specific headphones.

Durable means lasting for at least 3 years and not flaking on me.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

Ensure longevity by using headphones with readily available pads rather than attempting to keep a single pair of pads for ages. This is why myself and many others have a pair of Sennheiser HD6xx series headphones: the pads last a few years before decompressing to the point where fidelity is compromised, but Sennheiser have been producing headphones which use these pads, and therefore the pads themselves, for around 30 or more years.
Use headphones with pads which are not durable but extremely cheap to replace. This would be a Koss or Grado with foam pads, of which you have a massive range of choice. Even these can last a long time if you're careful with them.
Find a pair of fairly durable pads which don't suffer the same decompression issues as Sennheisers, but still accept the fact they will need replacing at some point. This choice influences the headphones you buy though e.g. you cannot use Sennheisers with 3rd party pads without compromising the frequency response. Additionally you need to buy pads which have been measured, or have the means to measure them yourself.
I guess I will just simplify things and stick to headphones that come with durable replacement stock pads or headphones for which I can buy durable third party pads that don't affect sound signature a lot.

Weirdly, AKG doesn't sell replacement stock pads. But, Dekoni sells AKG371 suede pads that do not affect sound signature according to measurement.

I think I like Sennheiser HD series because Sennheiser sells replacement stock pads that do not flake.

Failing that, I may just keep a few pairs of cheap replacement stock pads.

OP
D

Deleted member 58865

After researching for a while, I realized I made a wise choice by buying ATH-M40x. Its sound signature is good enough. Stock replacement pads are being sold. Brainwavz and dekoni sell pads specifically designed for ATH-M series. Even headband covers are compatible with ATH-M series.

On the other hand, philips does not sell replacement stock pads for its own headphones. Third party pads for philips headphones are likely to worsen sound signature.

I think I can get a lot of years out of this pair that I own now. All I want is good-enough soung signature and longevity and a degree of comfort with wearing.

I think I am informed enough to choose new headphones when I want or need a new pair.

Top Bottom