• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it a bad idea to vet integrated amplifier and speakers with a fiio e10k DAC line output?

rhz

I'm considering some integrated amplifiers (NAD 316bee vw, Emotiva TA-100, Cambridge Audio AXA 35) and speakers (Q Acoustics 3030i, Triangle Borea BR03, Elac DBR 62). The most likely use-scenario is that of driving the amp with a DAC.

Currently, I have a fiio e10k, which was pretty inexpensive but well-reviewed at the time. I'd be willing to upgrade (heard great things about the inexpensive Topping E 30) if that made a real audible difference and, more importantly, would somehow change my choice of amp & speakers.

What do you all think? Would the e10k skew my choice for the amp & speakers?
Thanks!

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
From the results posted here, I'd say the E10K may not be state of the art but the only audible difference I'd expect would be from its slightly lower maximum output level (1.5 Vrms instead of a typical ~2 Vrms or about 3 dB less). So unless 3 dB makes a substantial difference in volume pot channel balance in any of the amps in question...

All things considered, DACs on average deliver performance well in the green by the standards of human hearing and have done so for years now. There can be edge-cases with degraded performance near 0 dBFS or near the noise floor, but overall they tend to be quite uncritical.

OP
R

rhz

From the results posted here, I'd say the E10K may not be state of the art but the only audible difference I'd expect would be from its slightly lower maximum output level (1.5 Vrms instead of a typical ~2 Vrms or about 3 dB less). So unless 3 dB makes a substantial difference in volume pot channel balance in any of the amps in question...

All things considered, DACs on average deliver performance well in the green by the standards of human hearing and have done so for years now. There can be edge-cases with degraded performance near 0 dBFS or near the noise floor, but overall they tend to be quite uncritical.

Thank you. I'd be using the line out from the E10k. I don't know how close to full scale that is.

Top Bottom