• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it 2nd Harmonics?

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,

Basic setup to understand my question:
Source: Mac OS, Amazon Music
Amp: JDS Labs Atom (Primary), Fosi Audio Tube Amp (Secondary)
Headphones: Hifiman HE4xx (EQ'd with Sound Source)

I have been playing around with a vacuum tube amp lately for casual listening and seemed to have stumbled upon something that, I am unable to understand and would like the more knowledgeable individuals in our community to help me. I have noticed that when listening to instrumental tracks with emphasis on guitar's with the Hifiman paired to tube amp, i hear instrument separation and clarity that is not there when listening to the same track with Atom amp. Is it just 2nd harmonics that i am hearing from the tube amp or is my mind playing tricks? One particular album that i was listening to is Harry Style' Fine Line that has various tracks that have great instrument arrangments and harmonics.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@roskodan greatly appreciate that article. Good read and a lot of learning opportunities for me.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
What specific Fosi amp do you mean ?
There is quite a few of them using tubes.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It looks like a tube hybrid.
The specs do not reveal needed info like output power or output resistance nor have I seen measurements.
It would be fair to think output power will be very low and output resistance could be anything between 1 and 50 Ohm.

I don't output resistance is not an issue with the HE4XX so Tyll's explanation and NwAvGuy's 1/8th rule are not applicable in this case.

roskodan

Even with hybrid amps, when rolling tubes, the differences are quite noticeable. Of course it's distortion. EQ is distortion too, in a way, but one has complete control over it, unlike with tube rolling. Which is one of the reasons I don't really miss tube amps.

Top Bottom