• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is high-resolution audio audible or not audible and a waste of data?

radix

Major Contributor
I'm streaming TIDAL/Spotify/play CD and LP.. and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind test really.. all sounds good.. and my gear ain't cheap :s

On Qobuz I listened to some 192khz.. nah.. I don't hear it...

must be my ears

Pretty much the same boat for me. I can hear the difference between vinyl and other media, and I can hear the difference between many remasters, but not formats. I also hear differences between my kh80/kh750 desktop system and F228be living room system. Maybe I just have not tried hard enough to compare formats.

Most of my early ripped CDs are MP3, though now that storage is cheap, I've redone some in flac. Can't say I really hear the difference there either, but I've not forced myself to detail ABX them.

SSS

Pretty much the same boat for me. I can hear the difference between vinyl and other media, and I can hear the difference between many remasters, but not formats. I also hear differences between my kh80/kh750 desktop system and F228be living room system. Maybe I just have not tried hard enough to compare formats.

Most of my early ripped CDs are MP3, though now that storage is cheap, I've redone some in flac. Can't say I really hear the difference there either, but I've not forced myself to detail ABX them.
Same to me. It depends much on the type of music. Unfortunately the original mix is sometimes not better than a 256k mp3.

Top Bottom