• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Headphones Break-in Real? - Study by RTINGS.com

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
For the impatient:
No evidence in support of the existence of the break-in effect was found in this test.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I hate to open the coffin, smells bad, but driver break-in is real, just insignificant the vast majority of the time. For headphones, final testing is probably more than enough to break them in. I decided (like many others) many years ago that the primary purposes of "break-in" were to acclimatize us to the change and get us past the return period. Not necessarily in that order.

Mad_Economist

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
It is worthy of note that while driver break-in is insignificant in headphones, earpad wear can have a major impact on sound. The iconic case of this is the Sennheiser HD600/650, whose sound becomes increasingly veiled due to increasingly recessed treble with pad wear, but substantial effects occur with many models. Granted, this is probably a case where the emphasis is on the "break" in break-in, since this change will usually not be for the better, at least with regard to designer intentions...

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Tyll did a similarish test with similar results. Also with Q701
test1, test 2, test 3, test4

Rtings also tested some other headphones which makes the test more interesting because there is a larger sample size over different brands/types.

I tested this as well with a cheap Superlux HD681EVO.
The reason for that was I modified many HD681 (not EVO) and in 2 of them I found the bass to be lacking while the other ones were bass monsters (no test rig in those days yet so anecdotal and subjective).
These were 15 Euro headphones.
I could directly compare them with other ones which helps.
In one of them you could hear the bass level improving during one song.
The other one had very little bass and may have improved slightly even after blasting it for hours.

So when 2 of them came in for testing (first production run) I set one aside and tested the other.
The other one was put on the rig measured directly and left on the rig.
Blasted with very very loud music (till I could hear it distort on the outside).
After about 8 hours measured it again.
May have warmed up slightly during the day and had quite a lot of power on it.

evo-5hrs-break-in.png

first measurement, after 8 hours.

Compared it with the other one and sounded the same.

Indeed my opinion is that pads tend to compress more over time/usage which changes the tonal balance.
New pads are generally much stiffer than older ones.

Below HD58X with standard pressure and with the pads compressed a little.
pads-compressed.png

Last edited:

confucius_zero

Below HD58X with standard pressure and with the pads compressed a little.
pads-compressed.png

Woah! Elevated low end and top end as pads get worn in?!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is worthy of note that while driver break-in is insignificant in headphones, earpad wear can have a major impact on sound. The iconic case of this is the Sennheiser HD600/650, whose sound becomes increasingly veiled due to increasingly recessed treble with pad wear,

I can confirm this. A few years ago I replaced pads on my HD580s that were a dozen, maybe 15 years old. The change totally transformed the sound. It was one of the biggest, most noticeable differences I've ever noticed from an audio hardware change.

Since then I've put an alert in my phone to change the pads every odd year.

As for other "break in," Toole's digression in Sound Reproduction sums it up.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can confirm this. A few years ago I replaced pads on my HD580s that were a dozen, maybe 15 years old. The change totally transformed the sound. It was one of the biggest, most noticeable differences I've ever noticed from an audio hardware change.
I would like to see that change confirimed on one of those dummy head measurement stands. ;)

solderdude

Grand Contributor
HD650 with old worn pads and with fresh new pads slapped on them.
hd 650 r old pads vs new pads.png

Old worn pads result in a much darker sound because the driver is closer to the ear.
While wearing an HD6*0 with new pads press the cups (don't push on the grilles nor cover them doing this) and use your own head (dummy or not) to confirm :D

Below another interesting plot. Same headphone. Same old worn pads and same new pads but with the pads compressed to the same thickness as the worn pads are. Kind of rules out that the pads are different and its only the compression.
hd650 old pads vs compressed new pads.png

When one looks closer to the HD58X plot one can see the treble is less elevated as the part between 100Hz and 1khz. The pads were compressed a tiny bit here to simulate a month of usage or so.
So this one too (logically) also becomes 'darker' over time.
pads-compressed.png

Attachments

• hd650 old pads vs compressed new pads.png
    hd650 old pads vs compressed new pads.png
    41.6 KB · Views: 160

Mad_Economist

Audio Company
I would like to see that change confirimed on one of those dummy head measurement stands. ;)

Well, if anyone's got some dead HD6x0 pads to send, I have one of those dummy head measurement stands - a Brüel & Kjær 4128C - and an HD600 around at the moment with fresh-ish pads. Failing that, there's always Rin Choi's digression on the topic including new and old pad measurements on his DIY HATS "EURI".

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

tomelex

Forum Donor
Well, if anyone's got some dead HD6x0 pads to send, I have one of those dummy head measurement stands - a Brüel & Kjær 4128C - and an HD600 around at the moment with fresh-ish pads. Failing that, there's always Rin Choi's digression on the topic including new and old pad measurements on his DIY HATS "EURI".

thanks for that link to Rin, I have stated elsewhere in ASR that my HD-650 did break in and the resulting sound, now I know the precise reason. Got to love science and I appreciate you.

Tene

Could it be the proximity of the driver or could a denser foam (from compression) and thus a better seal be the reason for the difference in sound signature?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It's not the seal but the proximity. The seal is equally good on my rig (flatbed).

This is what happens with different amount of seal. (note the scale = 2dB/div instead of my usual 5dB/div)
glasses HD650.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Could very well be. The profile fits my HE400i measurements. Early type, more recent one

fr-he400i-old-vs-new.png

The K92 has a wobbly bass and a deeper recession.

fr-k92.png

Top Bottom