• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is HD800S worth it over HD600 with 4.5x price difference?

Dipypang

Should I just get the HD600 or save for a few more months and get the HD800S?
Is the 4.5x price difference really worth the sound quality difference?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Will most of your music listening time be in public, or in private?

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes and no. If you really want the HD800S and can afford it then it is worth it to you. For me, I am not really a fan of the HD800S and so think it not worth the price. When it comes to deciding whether something is worth the asking price it really is a personal decision in which the views of others are not especially relevant.

Zensō

Major Contributor
In my opinion it comes down to personal taste. I’ve owned the HD800S (twice) and yet I still end up back on the 600 series (currently the HD660S but also enjoy the 600 and 650). Certainly the HD800S is a great headphone that has a uniquely expansive soundstage, which many find appealing. Others though, find it unusual and even distracting, and may prefer headphones that present a more conventional, intimate image (like the 600 series). This is all very subjective of course, and I would advise trying the headphones yourself if at all possible.

Last edited:

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Should I just get the HD600 or save for a few more months and get the HD800S?
Are you going to EQ? Both EQ nicely. If not, it depends on what you like more. I do prefer the comfort of the HD 800(S) and the 'spatial effects' it provides.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Depends on your goal. For many people who are into the hobby, they would just buy a lot of them. And the journey sometimes is fun and rewarding. You may not immediately appreciate the sound of say the best headphones.
As HD600/HD6XX is pretty good, you can buy a pair and listen to music with them. You will know after sometime you feel something is lacking then try out a few different ones maybe including the HD800s. You may find some characteristics of HD800s annoying then you start EQing headphones. The journey goes on.

For regular people who just want a good pair of headphones. Get the HD6XX/Hd600 and move on.

I personally would prefer Sundara 2020. It is still affordable and has most qualities of good headphones.

Aerith Gainsborough

No Flagship headphone is "worth the price" if you are forced to be cost conscious. The diminishing returns just hit way too hard at that price point. Especially if you use DPS to EQ the target curve to your liking.

If the prices don't matter much to you (considering that we own that kind of hardware for many, many years) then it may be worth the investment. Only one person on this planet can make that determination for you: You.

My proposition: save until you can afford both, order both and keep the one you like better.

OP
D

Dipypang

Will most of your music listening time be in public, or in private?
private room. I currently have a closedback headphones and curious about openback which in many reviews seems suit me.

Are you going to EQ? Both EQ nicely. If not, it depends on what you like more. I do prefer the comfort of the HD 800(S) and the 'spatial effects' it provides.
I prefer not EQ, but I still will if EQ really makes audible difference.

As HD600/HD6XX is pretty good, you can buy a pair and listen to music with them. You will know after sometime you feel something is lacking then try out a few different ones maybe including the HD800s. You may find some characteristics of HD800s annoying then you start EQing headphones. The journey goes on.
This is so true lol.

I personally would prefer Sundara 2020. It is still affordable and has most qualities of good headphones.
I did consider planar but I read quite some posts and articles that planar sometimes arrived defective and need to make a reshipment which is very troublesome... And is planar durable?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
private room. I currently have a closedback headphones and curious about openback which in many reviews seems suit me.

This is so true lol.

I did consider planar but I read quite some posts and articles that planar sometimes arrived defective and need to make a reshipment which is very troublesome... And is planar durable?
If you don't torture them I don't see any issue with planars. There can be some quality issues with Hifimans, but buying from good seller will make it hassle free. Normally just sit on the chair and listen to the headphones. Put on the stand or in the box when not in use, all that good stuff. If you want something that you can throw into the backpack and just torture the heck out of it then HD600. Or you can have both.

garbulky

Major Contributor
I have or have used extensively the hd600, hd6xx (650), hd700 and hd800s. Subjectively the hd800s is simply a fantastic listen. Spatially, detail wise l, low bass, and ability to handle louder volume it is substantially better than the hd600 and the other headphones I mentioned. It sounds amazing imo. However all that I wrote was only true when I used two eq chained together solderdudes kameleon eq coupled with a schiit Loki mini to give a bit more bass that I wanted. Without it I don’t think the hd800s is worth the price. But with those I have a hard time imagining it would disappoint. But without I could easily see you not liking the treble and lackluster bass. The hd700 comes close with the mod house no tools reversible mod applied which is $15 or free if you do it yourself.

Zensō

Major Contributor

Almost every headphone will benefit from EQ. In my experience, EQing headphones provides more audible benefit than almost any other factor (assuming the headphones aren't terrible to start and the hardware chain isn't somehow broken). There will always be some differences due to physical design, but using EQ drastically levels the playing field between headphones all up and down the price range.

raif71

Major Contributor
I got an HD800 used and I believe the sound difference is worth it. I juggle back and forth between my hd600 series, hd800 and sundara. Would love to try the hd800s and see whether there's a significant difference with the hd800.

Edit: When I said worth it, means to me it's worth at "used" price which I bought (about half of original price). Right now I will say that I won't buy a brand new hd800 let alone a brand new hd800s but I will never say never :)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would agree with others. My 800 (non S, bought second hand) bring something to the table no other phone I have does. Is that worth the full entry price of the 800S new?

No.

But i have the suspicion OP will fall into the trap lots of us have of getting a 600 series then hankering after some 800s and getting them later anyway then never using the 600s after that.

weasels

A strategy that has worked well for me is - If I have to ask myself if the price premium is worth it, the answer is almost always going to be no. The stress created by stretching the budget for me is not worth the incremental benefit. If I can make a purchase without that stress, I'll go with whatever measured better.

Your mileage may vary.

KeithPhantom

Forum Donor
I still will if EQ really makes audible difference.
With both, EQ will make wonders. especially in the bass regions. They are both lacking (had the HD 800, 600, and 6XX) in this region and need EQ. Not only that, The 8X0 line is known for having peaks that are annoying for many and need to be removed by EQ or modding. I truly recommend you to EQ any headphones you get to whatever you like, it makes it easier both to find a good pair and to make it sound good.

cany89

If money is no problem I would get HD 800 S, with EQ it's one of the most unique headphones. The soundstage and overall quality in some genres are equal to $5K league. I got HD 600 and that's also a benchmark for its price. Definitely a go-to for thousands of professionals for its tuning (aligned with Harman curve without EQ) and quality. But as some already wrote, everyone I know - including me - got HD 600, and chased the 800 series after some time...

P.S I highly advise EQ for both - and basically for all headphones...

Top Bottom