• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Digital EQ really superior to Analog EQ?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have found that setting the scene up with Analog EQ (tone controls on my amp) for Digital EQ allows for a much better results than just using Digital EQ.

With analog EQ you move knob -> measure -> move knob ->measure to get something that resemble your target, and then you do some touch ups in Digital EQ.

However since Digital EQ requires much more than just moving a knob it will take you a much longer time to get to the same result as the method above.

Also does Analog EQ ignores minimum phase? or does my constant measuring just accommodates for the deviations from minimum phase?

What are your experiences with this?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The main benefit I see in EQ by DSP is in repeatability. With a digital equaliser, you create a setting, and it's there for all time, every time you come back to it it's the same. Also, if you need +3.25dB, you can have +3.25dB. With an analogue 'knob-based' equaliser you can never be sure what settings you have.

However, it depends on whether you want an equaliser to be an 'operational' control, or a 'fit and forget' control. For equalising on the fly, a knob-based EQ is much easier to use, but for a permanent installation where you don't make continuous adjustments, a menu-based digital EQ, is the better tool.

Different requirements, different tools.

S

Robin L

Master Contributor
The analog eq I've used is so much worse than digital eq, I'll never use it again. If you want true and specific parametric eq, I know of no analog options.

Feelas

I have found that setting the scene up with Analog EQ (tone controls on my amp) for Digital EQ allows for a much better results than just using Digital EQ.

With analog EQ you move knob -> measure -> move knob ->measure to get something that resemble your target, and then you do some touch ups in Digital EQ.

However since Digital EQ requires much more than just moving a knob it will take you a much longer time to get to the same result as the method above.

Also does Analog EQ ignores minimum phase? or does my constant measuring just accommodates for the deviations from minimum phase?

What are your experiences with this?
Tone controls doesn't have to be done with analog. Actually, you could just replicate the same setup as tone controls with all of the digital features - you don't HAVE to rely on the most problematic PEQs, you can merely use digital Graphical EQ and be done with it, having both simplicity and better performance. You just have to know what exact filter you want and the change steps, that's it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

The analog eq I've used is so much worse than digital eq, I'll never use it again. If you want true and specific parametric eq, I know of no analog options.
Problems with analog EQs are typically found in budget models - noise being a big one, as well as inaccurate filters. Good analog equalizers are expensive. At least they used to be - no one makes them anymore, and these days used models are practically given away.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Robin L

Master Contributor
Problems with analog EQs are typically found in budget models - noise being a big one, as well as inaccurate filters. Good analog equalizers are expensive. At least they used to be - no one makes them anymore, and these days used models are practically given away.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
I worked with a lot of analog equalizers back when I was doing radio. They all added noise and distortion. Maybe they weren't TOTL, but they were commonly used at the time. When I got my first digital parametric in the mid-nineties, it was a revelation. And APO is much better than what I was using back in 1995.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
To make blanket "one is better" is of course totally false as before it ever got to your speakers, it was most likely sent through both analog and digital eq in the production process. So to say. "analog is better" is no more valid than saying blue is better than yellow.

It is my experience that "perfect" eq, as automated measurement DSP attempts, is far over rated. Your brain makes a pattern of expectations when you walk into a room from the ambient sounds. As long as the reproduced sounds are not too far from what your brain expects, it is happy as can be. Sure, you can hear very small differences, but can you reliably pick out which is correct? Doubtful.

FWIW, my living room music system is eq by crossover tweaking and tone control. My HT room is DSP. There is no excuse for a tone control to add audible noise or distortion. JDS labs and Schiit both make very good outboard analog tone controls, though I am almost about to go back to my old Nakamichi preamp. Tone and balance controls went away from the unfounded BS from subjective reviewers who proclaimed "less is more, how dare you" . Same folks that brought you bi-wire, cable stands and a host of other totally useless misdirection. I remember one complaining that the bypass switch just must be destroying the sound!

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I worked with a lot of analog equalizers back when I was doing radio. They all added noise and distortion. Maybe they weren't TOTL, but they were commonly used at the time. When I got my first digital parametric in the mid-nineties, it was a revelation. And APO is much better than what I was using back in 1995.
I’ve had issues with Rane EQs, but I didn’t get any audible noise or distortion from the AudioControl 1/3-octave GEQs or Ashly and Symetrix parametrics I’ve used. Never used them myself, but Orban (commonly used in broadcast, I think), BSS, Klark Teknik, TDM and White Instuments all had stellar reputations.

That said, I do prefer my digital Yamaha YDP2006. :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Hai-Fri. Audio

Forum Donor
FWIW, my living room music system is eq by crossover tweaking and tone control. My HT room is DSP. There is no excuse for a tone control to add audible noise or distortion. JDS labs and Schiit both make very good outboard analog tone controls, though I am almost about to go back to my old Nakamichi preamp. Tone and balance controls went away from the unfounded BS from subjective reviewers who proclaimed "less is more, how dare you" . Same folks that brought you bi-wire, cable stands and a host of other totally useless misdirection. I remember one complaining that the bypass switch just must be destroying the sound!

Hard agree! (excuse me for beating this old thread)

Getting into vintage gear has been AWESOME for this very reason. Silverface with dials and knobs is also just timeless aesthetic.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Analog EQ vs Digital EQ.

Yes and no I do and maybe agree with how long it takes. With PEQ the controls does take longer than analog cos the EQ pots or sliders are right in front of me.

My late cat Sooty (2008-2020) laying on a Technics SH-8055 1/12 octave. I purrrfurrr 1/3 octavePuurrr EQ
Sooty EQ.jpg

Sooty has found the EQpurrr he is looking for. Dolby cat. Meow they make EQ called a Cat 64B
Sooty EQ 1.jpg

1/3 ocAtave Purrrr. Meow this is the ideal EQ, purrrrr. There is 1/3 oct bands and bass and treble boost controls Purrrrr.
Sooty EQ 2.jpg

Behringer DCX2496 with PEQ and Behringer FBQ PEQ
FBQ21.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
My cat. Got a tech sound problem? Then Magic will equalizer the issue.

Top Bottom