• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think people like Darko, Robinson, Guttenberg... the whole lot of them... seek to mystify and make audio a dark art... and not a science.

Many people here would be network engineers, cablers, radio engineers and the basics of digital transmission would be central to your profession. So this has analogues (LOL) to delivery of digital audio thru copper or fiber... the whole thing of tcp/ip over cable... it should seek to demystify this.

FURTHER... we now have transmission of digital audio over wifi etc.

How is anyone taking Darko's word seriously on this matter. I admit I dont mind watching the occasional Darko or Robinson video on a particular product... there is value in that subjective opinion but its 99% light entertainment.

dartinbout

I don't know if I'm masochistic enough to listen to this
Just play it as the sound track to a Three Stooges YouTube. It should align quite well.

diaolodoro

Ah Darko... That's the guy who puts a door stop on top of his gear to eliminate microphonics. That was the first and last video I've seen from him. Sure, microphonics is a real thing but putting door stops doesn't mean you're improving things. You might as well make it worse creating new resonant frequencies. Impossible to know if you don't measure. Unless you're extremely talented like Darko and understand everything around you in an intuitive manner.

Edit: Maybe we can expect some door stop measurements? (not joking) Or a general post about microphonics in modern solid state audio gear?

Last edited:

dartinbout

Is there actually any other area in which the completely clueless receive as much attention as in hifi ?
Religion, politics, art, finance, gender, physics, biology, health and my personal favorite.........baldness!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Religion, politics, art, finance, gender, physics, biology, health and my personal favorite.........baldness!

In physics??

What do they tell there? How to perfection your home breew nuclear explosive device?

Reactions: VQR

gerald

like most of @amirm 's videos, this is one, too, is well-reasoned and insightful and therefore thoroughly enjoyable. While being harsh in its criticism, it also mostly stays on the side of arguing against opinions, not people. Sadly, the same can't be said about the comments on this forum, which are, as so often, personally insulting, hostile, rude, more typical of a cult than a scientific community. In short: it's toxic here.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How is anyone taking Darko's word seriously on this matter.
They do. On his video that I addressed here, there is a person saying he is going to buy that expensive streamer. And comment after comment saying this is one of his best videos explaining the technical aspects! He has far more subscribers than me currently so his voice carries farther.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Edit: Maybe we can expect some door stop measurements? (not joking) Or a general post about microphonics in modern solid state audio gear?
I once tested a couple of headphone amps by tapping on them. I found that it is the volume control that causes biggest change there. Tapping elsewhere had almost no impact. Of course, sound waves have far, far less power in air than my tapping.

But yes, it is one of those products I have wanted to get into for years. Maybe one day I find the time to do so.

dartinbout

In physics??

What do they tell there? How to perfection your home breew nuclear explosive device?
Why? To ignite it on the other side of the flat earth, of course.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Is there actually any other area in which the completely clueless receive as much attention as in hifi ?
Medicine, things like homeopathy are huge marktets. Charlatans have been a part of human history since the start.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sadly, the same can't be said about the comments on this forum, which are, as so often, personally insulting, hostile, rude, more typical of a cult than a scientific community. In short: it's toxic here.
You must be new to the internet…

Besides, what is toxic is the industry: pretending to be objective, pretending to state facts, heavily moderating comments, inventing science, willfully ignoring actual science.

dartinbout

like most of @amirm 's videos, this is one, too, is well-reasoned and insightful and therefore thoroughly enjoyable. While being harsh in its criticism, it also mostly stays on the side of arguing against opinions, not people. Sadly, the same can't be said about the comments on this forum, which are, as so often, personally insulting, hostile, rude, more typical of a cult than a scientific community. In short: it's toxic here.
I have a remedy I can sell you. It will not only clear up the toxicity in your life, but cure your acne, baldness and TAADAAA your ED (while relieving you of all your excess cash). As a bonus, reboot your sense of humor.

F1308

Major Contributor
I thought they were being used to avoid small weight amplifiers/DACs to tumble due to the cables attached at the rear...
Ah Darko... That's the guy who puts a door stop on top of his gear to eliminate microphonics. That was the first and last video I've seen from him. Sure, microphonics is a real thing but putting door stops doesn't mean you're improving things. You might as well make it worse creating new resonant frequencies. Impossible to know if you don't measure. Unless you're extremely talented like Darko and understand everything around you in an intuitive manner.

Guido

via Fontemezzina 38 50019 Sesto fiorentino IT
A new argument has developed that transmission of digital audio is really analog. And for this reason, everything digital can be subject to audible difference from digital audio cables to digital output of streamers. This was emphasizes in a video by Darko Audio saying this explains his subjective opinion of streamers sounding different. I address this in this video and how there is some validity in what he says but his end conclusions are incorrect:

Hi Amir,
as usual ve

Fidji

I mean, Already Mythical seems quite truthful

I think is actually quite precise:

usually mythical : existing only in the imagination : FICTITIOUS, IMAGINARY
constructed a mythical all-star team

Waxx

Major Contributor
btw, on your intro about testing water. I work (as ICT system engineer) for a water company in Belgium (De Watergroep), and water is regulated to very strickt rules and standards. So it's tested a lot by the company and by gouverment organisations so it's compliant. Hifi does not have those regulations and extensive testing by gouverments. So it's comparing apples to oranges...

Top Bottom