• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

beagleman

Major Contributor
I wouldn’t be so sure. Darko has very little technical knowledge.
I have known many guys, that SEEM to know a lot about audio and speakers, but then will blurt out completely nonsensical things that have zero basis in ANY reality.
They tried it and "heard" a difference!

Many lack understanding of how biases work. Not just price, but looks, mood, and many factors color our perceived impressions.

We, as the listener are the biggest variable. We sadly can not measure our biases and mood and perception.

jam

Amazing introductory masterclass on digital audio Amir! You address all the important issues and questions that today's audio consumer will come accross when designing their digital audio sub-system in a very clear, concise and structured manner. All that along with a couple of slap downs at John Darko that naturally arise from the nonsense that he usually blabbers. Folks this video is a must watch!

F1308

Major Contributor
You see ?
Yes, the Sun rises in the east and sets in the west, but it is not just to allow the rising of the Moon.
At times our minds needs an answer, any answer !

Vacceo

Major Contributor
You see ?
Yes, the Sun rises in the east and sets in the west, but it is not just to allow the rising of the Moon.
At times our minds needs an answer, any answer !
That's why you ask those who provide answers that do not depend on their paycheck.

Lambda

Major Contributor

99% if you hear GPU/CPU activity noise from your PC its common mode noise.
With common mode noise it dose not matter at all if the DAC is USB power or has Powersupply. its enough that they share a common ground.

DonR

Major Contributor
Indeed, even waters are measured, with precise chemistry stuff printed on the label.
So ok, we can taste it, but measurements are always there... Even on "tasteless" water
Yes, it was a very poorly chosen analogy as water is probably one of the most measured things in the world.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But it does. Voltage swing that drives a little LED which swings in brightness read by a light dependent resistor on the other end which converts it back to a voltage swing. The result of this conversion also looks pretty nasty when viewed on an analogue scope.

The LEDs are switched on and off. There is no 'brightness' read by an LDR. LDRs are not used in Toslink.

The PD (photodiode) outputs current, not voltage for 'on' (~0mA) and 'off' (~5mA)

cesmtb

If Darko’s so sure he can hear a difference in these devices, but the measurement types just won’t listen, why not settle the debate with a double blind test? He can in theory prove what he asserts but doesn’t try, which tells me a lot.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If Darko’s so sure he can hear a difference in these devices, but the measurement types just won’t listen, why not settle the debate with a double blind test? He can in theory prove what he asserts but doesn’t try, which tells me a lot.

The conflict of interest between a charlatan and his money source.

dartinbout

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I give you those audio gods, Larry, Moe and (drum roll) Curley

beeface

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I give you those audio gods, Larry, Moe and (drum roll) Curley
I don't know if I'm masochistic enough to listen to this

jam

Too bad this video didn't come out three years ago when more people were watching Darko's clueless video.

I've just posted a little comment on Darko's YT video with the link to Amir's YT video to entice folks to watch it. I simply mentioned how well it explains digital audio issues that consumers should be made aware of. Although I'm afraid that I forgot to mention that it's from ASR (oops!), so those close-minded types just won't outright disregard it. I painted the posting YouTuber (Amir) as a very experienced EE with highly reputable credentials.

beeface

Too bad this video didn't come out three years ago when more people were watching Darko's clueless video.

I've just posted a little comment on Darko's YT video with the link to Amir's YT video to entice folks to watch it. I simply mentioned how well it explains digital audio issues that consumers should be made aware of. Although I'm afraid that I forgot to mention that it's from ASR (oops!), so those close-minded types just won't outright disregard it. I painted the posting YouTuber (Amir) as a very experienced EE with highly reputable credentials.
Darko moderates YouTube comments heavily, so it might be deleted. Very thin-skinned bloke, he'll cover his ears at the mildest criticism

firedog

I wouldn’t be so sure. Darko has very little technical knowledge.
Darko has little technical knowledge (which he admits). Whenever he feels that his audiophile myths are being challenged by fact, he looks until he finds some pseudo scientific explanation that backs him up. He then repeats it as if he's reveals that threatening truth as false.

respice finem

Major Contributor
What's really analog, on the playback side, taking a modern active system as an example, are:
  1. The brain and ears of the listener (bias is analog) :)
  2. The sound propagation in the listening room
  3. The speakers: drivers, power amps, sometimes analog-active crossovers
  4. The XLR or RCA connection to the external DAC, if needed
  5. Sometimes an additional A-D and D-A conversion is needed (active speakers with analog input, but with DSP/digital crossover).
Ceterum censeo: Rich pastures for "tale tellers" anyway, so why invent even more?
Oh, yes, silly me, the ads and "monetization"... Even shitstorms in the comments will increase ratings...

Last edited:

firedog

Amir-
Great video. Well presented clear explanations for laymen.
It's really too bad that people like Darko are just afraid to admit that they are working on sighted/expectation biased listening.
They are afraid to say, "I like this expensive piece of equipment for reason X, I can't claim it sounds any better than a much cheaper alternative".

Top Bottom