• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does a car indicator system, care about any of this?
Is it affected by any of this?
Does the band limiting, Fourier analysis, rise time, RF noise etc. have any meaning or effects to a car indicator system?
After all it works on square waves!
Incandescent turn indicator bulbs are perceptibly slow. You can see them come on and off more slowly than the on/off signal they are fed, Some LED's that respond more rapidly look too abrupt for what we are used to seeing. Some newer cars slow that signal so the LED's aren't so abrupt in action. None of which has anything to do with much of anything regarding Fourier and square waves.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe this will convince you the the analogue waveform and the Fourier breakdown are inextricable the same thing?

The video has four parts where you can see the multiple sinusoids and the resulting waveform are just representations of exactly the same thing. Using a mechanical machine.

That is a work of genius,

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Incandescent turn indicator bulbs are perceptibly slow. You can see them come on and off more slowly than the on/off signal they are fed, Some LED's that respond more rapidly look too abrupt for what we are used to seeing. Some newer cars slow that signal so the LED's aren't so abrupt in action. None of which has anything to do with much of anything regarding Fourier and square waves.
yet, cars made 50 years ago and this year are all legal and safe on the road, everyone can see and understand the indicator lights of all kinds.
go figure ....:)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yet, cars made 50 years ago and this year are all legal and safe on the road, everyone can see and understand the indicator lights of all kinds.
go figure ....:)
You don't think that might be because the frequency of the square wave is so low (1 HZ?) that it is possible to fit very high multiples of that frequency down the still bandwidth limited wiring of even 50 year old cars? Say the 20 thousandth harmonic (just to pick one that is relevant in this forum :)) should be easily transmissible.

Hence the bandwidth limit is many many times higher than the fundamental, and as far as our eyes are able to detect it is not distorted (Beyond the distortion of the speed of the incandescent bulbs themselves - as mentioned by @Blumlein 88 ).

:cool:

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
Aha!
But isn't Fourier analysis an approximation? After all, sine wave components approximate a square wave, but never actually make it.
Staying with mathematics, a perfect square wave does exist, but a composition of sine waves keeps getting closer and closer to a perfect square wave, and indeed one needs an infinite number of them.
Using switches (transistor, relays or even a push button) to create a square wave, one starts with DC , where are the sine wave components?
There aren't any!
Now if you filter that, you create the sine waves, just like my glass example.
No its not an approximation. Its as exact as all proper math. Find a video on limits and calculus. Infinity is used in math all the time.
And if you filter a square wave you can extract any or all the sines, which means there already there they are NOT created by the filter. Filters don't create anything they FILTER.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A lot of the digital waveforms I deal with are almost sinusoidal. No one told them they need to be perfect square waves. And at >100MHz, they are seldom even close.

DonR

Major Contributor
Reactance is a sinusoidal function, all loads have some reactance (infinite bandwidth is not a thing), therefore, all signals are comprised of sinusoids.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You don't think that might be because the frequency of the square wave is so low (1 HZ?) that it is possible to fit very high multiples of that frequency down the still bandwidth limited wiring of even 50 year old cars? Say the 20 thousandth harmonic (just to pick one that is relevant in this forum :)) should be easily transmissible.

Hence the bandwidth limit is many many times higher than the fundamental, and as far as our eyes are able to detect it is not distorted (Beyond the distortion of the speed of the incandescent bulbs themselves - as mentioned by @Blumlein 88 ).

you offer an exaggerated example to make a point.
Just as my friend was talking about some car manufacturers applying rise time manipulation to car indicators to make them even better!
please!
It doesn't matter how one skins this cat, for as long as it remains within spec.
For digital audio transmission through a conductor in a hifi environment , for as long as the DAC can read and lock onto data perfectly, all analogue distortions, artefacts etc. are irrelevant.
I still stick to my guns, that within a limited use environment, a square wave is just that! a car indicator system is but one example.
If you broaden our environment, then things change.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can look at things in more than one way. Including square waves.
How about like this: :)

1670008914466.png

BTW, many people here on this very thread, have stuck to their guns, I suppose that qualifies them for being wrong.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This whole discussion gets even more pointless if you talk about digital transmission for TV etc.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

SAE Standard J590b specifies 60 to 120 blinks per minute. So 1 or 2 hz indeed.

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
How about like this: :)

View attachment 247362

BTW, many people here on this very thread, have stuck to their guns, I suppose that qualifies them for being wrong.
Wrong again. Thats the kind of logic I would expect. Have you looked at the videos posted? Did you learn any Fourier theory? Your uneducated guessing is useless.

Enough of this.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Rats, there goes a decade of college and over 40 years of experience down the drain... Took the Internet to make me realize how wrong I was.

DonR

Major Contributor
Rats, there goes a decade of college and over 40 years of experience down the drain... Took the Internet to make me realize how wrong I was.
Always does. Did you know that the lizard people are hiding the truth about flat earth from you as well? It's all there on the internet, look it up.

Top Bottom