• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Digital Audio Transmission Analog? [video]

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have to think he is deleting any negative comments or even anything that refute his claims because all the comments on there now are 100% positive.
And I'd bet good money his fans come here to tell us we're narrow-minded.

Hans-Wolfgang

Hello, Here is a video with a rigorous demonstration showing the absence of any influence of the cable quality for a digital signal transmission.
I'd be interested to know if Amirm has tried to compare cables for analog transmission. The role of more or less careful installation, cable crossing and cable quality (price). Thank you for your comments Hans Wolfgang Spiess from France

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Hello, Here is a video with a rigorous demonstration showing the absence of any influence of the cable quality for a digital signal transmission.
I'd be interested to know if Amirm has tried to compare cables for analog transmission. The role of more or less careful installation, cable crossing and cable quality (price). Thank you for your comments Hans Wolfgang Spiess from France

Our host has done a number of null tests with analog cables. This thread might be a starter.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Hans Wolfgans Spiess of Max Planck Institute by any chance?

Descartes

Major Contributor
A new argument has developed that transmission of digital audio is really analog. And for this reason, everything digital can be subject to audible difference from digital audio cables to digital output of streamers. This was emphasizes in a video by Darko Audio saying this explains his subjective opinion of streamers sounding different. I address this in this video and how there is some validity in what he says but his end conclusions are incorrect:

There are so many fraudulent reviewers on YouTube, they are just like the rags such as WhatHiFi, Stereophile and all the others who are paid by these manufacturers to survive!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Very good video and very good work. For others who have not watched it, he shows that a cheap USB cable going through a Toslink loopback on RME creates bit-exact output. He shows the same with S/PDIF and I^C. He also goes thorough explaining that if there were bit errors, they would be random and not create the differences audiophiles talk about.

On your question, yes, I have reviewed a number of analog cables and none show any improvements and a few actually are more susceptible to noise than cheap cables. Key thing to remember is that as the simplest part of your electronics, your cable has far higher bandwidth, far lower noise and much less distortion than your complex audio gear. For this reason, it cannot possibly make a real difference. Measurements and null tests with music show the same. In this review, I show how the cheapest, oldest, crappiest RCA cable is still transparent to the source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ton-rca-cable-review-ultra-cheap-cable.33473/

index.php

Above shows that the cable has the same performance as having no cable!

Here is a review of Nordost speaker cable compared to generic: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ost-superflatline-speaker-cable-review.45615/

It actually picks up more noise than the generic cable. But otherwise has flat bandwidth to 200 kHz and beyond, just like the cheap cable:

index.php

There are many more tests like this.

That said, if work hard, you can find cables that make a difference like too thin of a speaker cable, or one with poor quality. Spend a few dollars more and you are assured transparency.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Very good video and very good work. For others who have not watched it, he shows that a cheap USB cable going through a Toslink loopback on RME creates bit-exact output. He shows the same with S/PDIF and I^C. He also goes thorough explaining that if there were bit errors, they would be random and not create the differences audiophiles talk about.

On your question, yes, I have reviewed a number of analog cables and none show any improvements and a few actually are more susceptible to noise than cheap cables. Key thing to remember is that as the simplest part of your electronics, your cable has far higher bandwidth, far lower noise and much less distortion than your complex audio gear. For this reason, it cannot possibly make a real difference. Measurements and null tests with music show the same. In this review, I show how the cheapest, oldest, crappiest RCA cable is still transparent to the source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ton-rca-cable-review-ultra-cheap-cable.33473/

index.php

Above shows that the cable has the same performance as having no cable!

Here is a review of Nordost speaker cable compared to generic: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ost-superflatline-speaker-cable-review.45615/

It actually picks up more noise than the generic cable. But otherwise has flat bandwidth to 200 kHz and beyond, just like the cheap cable:

index.php

There are many more tests like this.

That said, if work hard, you can find cables that make a difference like too thin of a speaker cable, or one with poor quality. Spend a few dollars more and you are assured transparency.
That’s why Nordost charges so much money for their cables do you get the extra noise ;)

Top Bottom