• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Crypto Dead?

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't see the intrinsic value of bitcoin, the consumed electricity or scarcity maybe? hardly an intrinsic value. Block chain is the only interesting feature IMO.

About 10 years ago i was tempted to buy to get a feeling with bitcoin but than we ran into the MT Gox collapse an now FTX. These were exchanges (so no third parties/banks) that IMO suppose to have margin requirements and at least clearing & settlement rules in a sort adapted crypto form. So beside that you can argue about the value of bitcoin. Your Crypto wallet for now is by far not safe even if it is on an crypto exchange.

Further more the ECB is quite far with a crypto wallet for European citizens. Probably with some safety/consistency rules whats next... Bigbrother:facepalm:

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a trend and now it's gone, what a house of cards like the dot com boom/bust. An unregulated currency, not backed by anything except the word of a couple of thirty year old programmers who have never handled money before... It's the perfect plan, what could possibly go wrong? I passed on the dot com mania as my friends bought in and watched their Janice tech fund go down the tubes, hanging on until the end in hopes it would come back up. Companies that had zero profit and the herd mentality took over driving their valuations to crazy levels. Justin Beeber bought an NFT of an ape for $1.5mil and now it's worth $67,000. Glad NFT's are over with, anyone who bought a cartoon image for that kind of money has too much anyway. Maybe the artist who sold it will do something positive with it.
The good news is video card prices are coming back to Earth and people can afford to upgrade again. Been using a water cooled 980TI forever and might get a new cutting edge one depending on holiday sales prices. Mining isn't cost effective for the most part anymore. This day couldn't have come soon enough.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Glad NFT's are over with, anyone who bought a cartoon image for that kind of money has too much anyway.
NFTs are definitely not "over". The new tech is finding its use cases.

It's a trend and now it's gone, what a house of cards like the dot com boom/bust.
Not gone. Overlay the charts of Bitcoin and many tech stocks. They share the same patterns with a Nov 2021 top. Why? Because it's the same people and funds investing in both.

All of this works in cycles. 2021 was not the first, or the last. Watch for the next one in 2024-25.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
NFTs are definitely not "over". The new tech is finding its use cases.

Richie Hawtin (techno dj/Plastikman) has been proselytising and selling NFT’s for ages on Twitter, funniest reply to one of his inane ramblings was Dave Clarke (another techno dj) saying “stop schilling shit and make some fucking music otherwise just fuck off and do the scene a favour”.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Richie Hawtin (techno dj/Plastikman) has been proselytising and selling NFT’s for ages on Twitter, funniest reply to one of his inane ramblings was Dave Clarke (another techno dj) saying “stop schilling shit and make some fucking music otherwise just fuck off and do the scene a favour”.
The non-fungible token has a lot of use cases. Art is an obvious one, but you need to look beyond overvalued profile pictures.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The non-fungible token has a lot of use cases. Art is an obvious one, but you need to look beyond overvalued profile pictures.
Can you explain what value an NFT has? I've tried to see where it is and other than the old Tulip craze idea where tulip bulbs were briefly valued more than an equivalent weight in diamonds I don't see anything there.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Can you explain what value an NFT has? I've tried to see where it is and other than the old Tulip craze idea where tulip bulbs were briefly valued more than an equivalent weight in diamonds I don't see anything there.

It's only worth what someone else will pay for it, and even then, the middlemen facilitating the deal will want a cut.

Destination: Moon

Nail 2 things together that have never been nailed together before and some schmuck will buy it from you.... George Carlin

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
1668823263725.png

NFT and associated blockchain tech would have been excellently demonstrated by the Seinfeld episode where George buys the John Voight convertible (which turned out not to be the Jon Voight) because it would act as provenance that the convertible was once owned by a famous movie star making it non-fungible vs other Chrysler convertibles and therefore uniquely special.

I would ask again that you explain the value of NFT's, but never mind. NFT tech has provenance value, but people in the example link paying millions for a digital card of some NBA player is basically what restorer-john said, it is worth what someone will pay and best I can tell beyond a tulip-mania craze there isn't any inherent value to most/nearly all NFTs.

I understand it is intended in some uses to give scarcity value to digital stuff like digital art. Digital anything is something of capitalist problem regarding ownership rights. Anything digital can be effortlessly copied in near infinite numbers. The idea of NFT tech for real estate seems okay if it is cheap, but unless the gov't recognizes it then at best a curiosity. Looks like something between a solution that cannot work for digital art and a solution looking for a problem in the real world.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would ask again that you explain the value of NFT's, but never mind. NFT tech has provenance value, but people in the example link paying millions for a digital card of some NBA player is basically what restorer-john said, it is worth what someone will pay and best I can tell beyond a tulip-mania craze there isn't any inherent value to most/nearly all NFTs.
Explain how that is different than any other item. Like in your examples: vehicles or NBA trading cards.

I understand it is intended in some uses to give scarcity value to digital stuff like digital art.
It is not really to create scarcity. It is to certify authenticity and identify unauthorized copies.

Last edited:

theyellowspecial

Forum Donor
Crypto is just getting started. The question is how the fight between centralization and decentralization plays out.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Explain how that is different than any other item. Like in your examples: vehicles or NBA trading cards.

It is not really to create scarcity. It is to certify authenticity and identify unauthorized copies.
What is the difference in an unauthorized copy vs authorized with digital art?

Now I'm not advocating ignoring copyright, ownership or authorship. The point is having an unauthorized digital copy is completely and exactly the same. Having an excellent copy (or forgery) of a Monet is a different kettle of fish. There is a value difference between copies and originals of paintings that you won't have with digital art.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Crypto is just getting started. The question is how the fight between centralization and decentralization plays out.
While true it still seems to me it is a solution in search of a problem. It was intended to offer decentralized, reliable, secure, safe, convenient transactions, and low transaction costs. It has accomplished none of that other than being somewhat decentralized.

The FedNow payment service to start mid 2023 addresses most of the advantages reputed to crypto in terms of use as currency. Excepting decentralization, its usefulness for criminal activity, and the value being pegged to US Dollars. . I'm sure short circuiting the appeal of crypto currency is one of the reasons it is being introduced.

Top Bottom