• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is COVID strategy moving towards herd-immunity?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 65

I still remember Stalin saying death of a million is just a statistic.

Anyway, until more people are being infected 2nd time, there is no way in confirming how long antibodies would ever protect people.

If it ended up like flu and people could get infected annually, betting on herd immunity is going to be hilarious. That’s why this idea shouldn’t be put forward too early.

Now the most needed thing is effective and accessible treatment plans. Yet after the HCQ fight this discussion went silent.

Hi @Neutron, pls read the article I published above from Karolinska Institutet on T cell immunity, according to this study T cell immunity may play a large(r) role in immunity then antibodies.
Would most likely require an in depth study of the report by one of our resident experts on the subject eg @PierreV. Testing for T cell immunity seems to be a bit harder then just antibodie test.

bigguyca

I still remember Stalin saying death of a million is just a statistic.

Anyway, until more people are being infected 2nd time, there is no way in confirming how long antibodies would ever protect people.

If it ended up like flu and people could get infected annually, betting on herd immunity is going to be hilarious. That’s why this idea shouldn’t be put forward too early.

Now the most needed thing is effective and accessible treatment plans. Yet after the HCQ fight this discussion went silent.

At your age you are in an extremely high risk group. First piece of advice it to stay out out New York State or Cuomo may kill you.

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
A simple civil request that COVID threads be closed and banned.

Vasr

Major Contributor
Since you are are member of the Monk Nation, please remember to use a wipe before you do a facepalm!

At your age you are in an extremely high risk group. First piece of advice it to stay out out New York State or Cuomo may kill you.

Ad hominems and politics seem to be the defining characteristic. ;) The pandemic has certainly been a litmus test for people.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @Neutron, pls read the article I published above from Karolinska Institutet on T cell immunity, according to this study T cell immunity may play a large(r) role in immunity then antibodies.
Would most likely require an in depth study of the report by one of our resident experts on the subject eg @PierreV. Testing for T cell immunity seems to be a bit harder then just antibodie test.
@LarsS
How come that people get infected in March and have no antibodies in August ?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 65

@LarsS
Hi,
Pls read the scientific report from KI posted above. According to report far more people in the test group have T cell immunity then antibodies.
Why that’s so is way beyond my knowledge and seemingly the scientific community as well.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@LarsS
The antibodies identify the SARS-COVID-2 virus, and “mark” them for destruction by other T cells. As virus is destroyed over time, fewer antibodies are produced, and the antibodies die off over time. This is a simplification of the process.

North_Sky

Major Contributor

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Not an expert, but at least have the formal background. Yes, much harder to test, and doesn't scale well. A potential lucky card in our game, definitely. Did not help the people who died much though: it's not as if 50% of the elderly people in retirement homes survived thanks to a golden T cell response :( In terms of populations and general pressure on the virus, it doesn't hurt imho.

Edit: the paper details the methods extensively.

Last edited:

Neutron

I am not in the high risk age group, but I do read history, and I am tested positive this Monday. (Yes, this thing is now personal.) My isolation ends Oct 1, and so far I am doing fine. I am keep an eye on my temp and ox level several times a day.

BTW, this winter this going to be hard for Americans... Total death could double by tnext March. I am not expecting anyone to stand out and thank familes of the deceased about their sacrifice to the "herd immunity".

Below is a recent EU official review on reinfection of covid cases. By the end of pg 8 they addressed how common would reinfection be. Pg 8, 9 contained some insights into this matter on immunity.
https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/de...nd-viral-shedding-threat-assessment-brief.pdf

Last edited:

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Spain and France, on the rise.
UK and Italy not far behind.
As predicted by WHO, a second wave in Europe is happening.

USA is still in its first wave.

This pandemic is troublesome on the entire chain, 100% on world population's health.
We need more masks ...

@Neutron, we're with you man, hold on tight.
• Vitamin D can't be bad, reading good info too, listening to some good tunes.

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning

【Latest News】HKUMed in alliance with international research collaboration discovers inborn errors of immunity in patients with life-threatening COVID-19

Researchers of the COVID Human Genetic Effort (COVID HGE), including scientists from the Department of Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, LKS Faculty of Medicine, The University of Hong Kong (HKUMed), discover that more than 10% of people who developed severe COVID-19, regardless of age and pre-existing medical conditions, had misguided auto-antibodies that attack the immune system itself, weakening the immune response. Another 3.5%, at least, had specific mutations in the immune system, causing genetic diseases called inborn errors of immunity. The novel findings explain for the first time why some COVID-19 sufferers have a more severe disease than other patients their age, paving the way for invention of possible personalized treatment for these patients. The results also provide the first molecular answer why COVID-19 mortality is higher for men than women.

The way SARS-CoV-2 affects people differently has been puzzling. The virus can cause a symptom-free infection and go away quietly, or it can kill in a few days. Research in the field has shown that unusual susceptibility to certain infectious diseases, such as lethal seasonal influenza or invasive pneumococcal disease, can be traced to single-gene mutations that affect an individual’s immune response. Similarly, multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C) may also be due to single-gene errors.

Since February this year, investigators around the world in the COVID Human Genetic Effort have been enrolling thousands of COVID-19 patients to find out whether something in their genetic make-up drives the disparate clinical outcomes the disease produces. Researchers hypothesised that patients with life-threatening COVID-19 might, for different reasons, lack type I interferons (IFN-I), which are vital to the body's defence against viral infections.

In one study, the researchers genetically analysed blood samples from more than 650 patients with severe COVID-19. They may include the rare young patients which require intensive care, or older patients with good past health but life-threatening COVID-19. Genetic studies revealed that a significant number of people with severe disease carried rare variants in 13 genes related to IFN-I, and about 3.5% of them were in fact missing a functioning gene, meaning they had inborn errors of immunity. Examining 987 patients with life-threatening COVID-19 pneumonia, they found that more than 10% had auto-antibodies against IFN-I at the onset of their infection, impairing the IFN-I pathway and causing immunodeficiency. The majority of them, 95%, were men. Scientists may develop personalized treatment approaches for these two kinds of patients, for example, supplementation of IFN-I or plasmapheresis, for a higher chance of recovery.

The results have been published in two papers in Science, a pre-eminent science journal:
1.https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/09/23/science.abd4570
2.https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/09/23/science.abd4585

#HKUMed #COVID19 #COVIDHumanGeneticEffort

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Spain and France, on the rise.
UK and Italy not far behind.
As predicted by WHO, a second wave in Europe is happening.

USA is still in its first wave.

This pandemic is troublesome on the entire chain, 100% on world population's health.
We need more masks ...

@Neutron, we're with you man, hold on tight.
• Vitamin D can't be bad, reading good info too, listening to some good tunes.

We have our 4th wave coming already lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom