• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is COVID strategy moving towards herd-immunity?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I just cancelled my Twitter account.
And I'm now virus-free, totally liberated.

funnymoon.jpg

From now own I will strictly relate on science, and the stock markets.

God lock everyone ...

5760.jpg

Canuck57

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm still wearing a mask, just in case the CDC is right.
And I can freely trade online.

I nominate non mask wearers for Darwin Awards!

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Simple question: When grocery shopping for tomatoes, bananas, oranges, apples, cucumbers, avocados, onions, ... by the unit (not in bags), do you wash them when you get home? And before and after doing so do you wash your hands?

Vasr

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, right now in Germany, there is no real objectivity in the usual mass media channels.

YMMV if you are referring to other nations media of course, I do not actively follow them. I was referring to the German situation only.

There are people in every country that feel exactly that way, especially when the mass media channels do not confirm their own biases or opinions or narratives they would like. I don't think Germany is unique in that regard. :)

If only we had an ASR for media measurements of objectivity since subjective opinions on their objectivity could be so prone to human traits. But first we would have to create a set of tests and metrics for measuring objectivity in media. Nah.. too much work.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I think the majority of world's countries are riding waves the way they see it fits.
Some waves they just don't fit some countries ... guess who.

It's like an invisible biologic warfare disguised as a wild animal running free and restless.
You lock it up and it stops. You open the cage and it strikes again. You try to kill it and it just multiplies. You try to subdue it and you think you did only to find out that you had the wrong animal.

Objectivity? Compare the measures taken by the countries who control the spreading with excellence to the ones uncontrollable. Pick the right one, make the best decision.
It's not only just for you but also for everyone else, worldwide.

The more it spreads the more the economy suffers, the longer the pain and the suffering.
The more lockdowns, the more fines, the more it becomes necessary.
That, or else.

After almost nine months do we need more graphs?
Hope is not a word in the scientific community.
Neither lies, neither dreams.

JeffGB

Simple question: When grocery shopping for tomatoes, bananas, oranges, apples, cucumbers, avocados, onions, ... by the unit (not in bags), do you wash them when you get home? And before and after doing so do you wash your hands?
I'm only purchasing vegetables that I intend to cook. I wash them when I get them home and put them in a new bag and into the refrigerator. When I use them I cut them and put them in the vessel they will be cooked in, then wash my hands.

Fruit such as oranges and apples I wash with soap and water, letting them soak for a few minutes before rinsing. Those can be eaten as desired.

JeffGB

Do you wash your mask each day after use, or do you wear disposable masks (surgical)?
I have disposable surgical masks that I ordered online early in the pandemic. Since then I have purchased a few cloth masks. The first ones were not adequate. They were a single layer of woven material that had some stretch. I now have some that are two layers with an extra little flap that goes above your nose and reduces fogging of glasses. I wash the cloth ones after use and dispose of the surgical masks after each use.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Canada we are averaging roughly 1,000 new cases daily, recently...on the rise.
Germany, 2,000...also on the rise.
The number of departed is low...single digit, for both countries.

Spain?
France?

The timing is ringing ...
Anything good will come out of it? Only time will tell, anything else is just guessing.
When the future is uncertain (except for Amazon, Tesla, Apple, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, Google, Facebook, ...), confidence is losing ground, insecurity is settling, concern is gaining, assurance is getting hit, insurances are low, jokes are not funny, our values are reassessed, our foundations reevaluated, our health and our wealth.

JeffGB

Canada we are averaging roughly 1,000 new cases daily, recently...on the rise.

Spain?
France?

The timing is ringing ...
Anything good will come out of it? Only time will tell, anything else is just guessing.
When the future is uncertain (except for Amazon, Tesla, Apple, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, Google, Facebook, ...), confidence is losing ground, insecurity is settling, concern is gaining, assurance is getting hit, insurances are low, jokes are not funny, our values are reassessed, our foundations reevaluated, our health and our wealth.
On the positive side, look out your window :). The air is clearing. I'm in Surrey and can finally see New Westminster again!

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I have disposable surgical masks that I ordered online early in the pandemic. Since then I have purchased a few cloth masks. The first ones were not adequate. They were a single layer of woven material that had some stretch. I now have some that are two layers with an extra little flap that goes above your nose and reduces fogging of glasses. I wash the cloth ones after use and dispose of the surgical masks after each use.

I believe the surgical ones (disposable) are better than the washable cloth ones.
And the medical N95 of course (without a valve), also disposable after each use.

* You take good measures with your fruits and vegetables.
I observe people who work in grocery stores and they wear gloves to handle them...good. I see some cashiers wearing only a transparent plastic screen, without a mask...no good.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
On the positive side, look out your window :). The air is clearing. I'm in Surrey and can finally see New Westminster again!

Yes you are right; today the air quality improved. ...And same for pretty much the US West coast. ...Slight rain with covered skies. Humidity, a bit of wind, and less burning smell...much less. I opened few windows today.

Vasr

Major Contributor
CDC has released a March study of a spreader event from a long international flight with contact tracing of passengers. This, I believe, was before the masks were mandatory in flights. But still given the lax use and enforcement, not sure how much that would have affected the outcome. Lots of variables, but as much as one can do in these kinds of studies.

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/11/20-3299_article

My takeaway is that it is not as safe as the airline industry would have you believe. It is still a lottery or Russian roulette take your pick depending on who else is on the flight.

May have to do some long-haul international travel early next year. So monitoring these studies.

Neutron

The sad thing is that thinking about another lockdown would be unnecessary at this point if society would simply follow the social distancing recommendations of epidemiologists.

For example, colleges would not be struggling with growing infection rates if college students would quit having parties.

Personally, I'd like to see reckless endangerment the standard charge for anyone who hosts an event where a large numbers of people attend. That might calm that down some. But of course that's not the only issue we have regarding civil disobedience ofsocial distancing measures.

Israel started a 3-week nationwide lockdown just hours ago, and it is the 2nd lockdown in Israel.

When it comes to pandemic like this, I always set my expectation low so I can only be surprised if things got better than expected.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Israel started a 3-week nationwide lockdown just hours ago, and it is the 2nd lockdown in Israel.

When it comes to pandemic like this, I always set my expectation low so I can only be surprised if things got better than expected.

The lockdown result depends very much on how the population respects it.
Very difficult achievement in your stated case.
But let's hope; as it's a new year, a new life ....

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Which is an indication that cases are not actually rising, but #of tests are.
We will see next Wednesday, when the RKI does it's weekly analysis on the number of tests performed and the %age that returned positive. If it stays below 1%, nothing is actually happening, except media bullshitting people.

Willem

Major Contributor
I do not share your negative view about German media, on the contrary (tabloids like Bild excepted of course). They are often a bit boring but serious and fact based, both national radio and tv and the major newspapers.
I had a look at the Robert Koch Institute's website and their view is that the rise in the number of infections of the last month or two is real and somewhat worrying. That is not to deny that German numbers are impressively low and in my view testimony to both effective public health policies and a disciplined response from the population. I have been cycle touring/camping in northern Germany in August and I was impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom