• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is connecting two Amps to one set of speakers for A/B testing safe?

Astojab

Hi everyone!
I am soon going to receive the Topping PA5 and would like to do a A/B test with my other Amp (Hegel H90) in order to see how big the differences are (if there are any) and maybe a more proper Blindtest later.

I have a multimeter for level matching and could either switch between inputs with the E50 DAC or use the internal DAC and use an optical switch I bought. Since I would rather not invest in an speaker switch but still do want to switch fast I wanted to ask if it is possible to connect both amps simultaneously to the speakers via banaplugs and bare speaker wires and only feed one Amp at a time the signal?

Or is that a sure way to blow up the amps or speakers?

Zek

Major Contributor
Since I would rather not invest in an speaker switch but still do want to switch fast I wanted to ask if it is possible to connect both amps simultaneously to the speakers via banaplugs and bare speaker wires
NO, because you can fry power stages in amplifiers.

OP
A

Astojab

And that is even the case if there is only ever a signal on one of them?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
NO!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

egellings

Major Contributor
NO! The amplifiers act as hard voltage sources, and when connected together, they will fight each other to establish a voltage across the speaker terminals. Heavy circulating currents between the amplifiers will flow, and one or the other or both will be damaged. Best way is to just pop for a switch to toggle back & forth between the test speakers, or just manually toggle the speakers' connections. Be certain that this switch has break-before-make contacts in both directions of the switch. Voltage amplifiers do not like having their outputs connected together, not even momentarily.

OP
A

Astojab

NO! The amplifiers act as hard voltage sources, and when connected together, they will fight each other to establish a voltage across the speaker terminals. Heavy circulating currents between the amplifiers will flow, and one or the other or both will be damaged. Best way is to just pop for a switch to toggle back & forth between the test speakers, or just manually toggle the speakers' connections. Be certain that this switch has break-before-make contacts in both directions of the switch. Voltage amplifiers do not like having their outputs connected together, not even momentarily.
Thank you for the explanation. Is there a switch you can recommend?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Thank you for the explanation. Is there a switch you can recommend?
That speaker switch you didn't want to spend money on might be a good start.
;)

egellings

Major Contributor
You could use a DPDT toggle switch, found in the electrical departments of hardware stores as a possibility. That would let you select one or the other speaker, or neither if the switch has a center position. Be careful if you are using a tube amplifier. They do not like having no speaker connected while playing. In all cases, have the volume at zero when operating the switch.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
OP
A

Astojab

You could use a DPDT toggle switch, found in the electrical departments of hardware stores as a possibility. That would let you select one or the other speaker, or neither if the switch has a center position. Be careful if you are using a tube amplifier. They do not like having no speaker connected while playing. In all cases, have the volume at zero when operating the switch.
After a quick google search I am not sure I wouldn't fry my amps with one of these.

egellings

Major Contributor
Toggle switch would likely be better and certainly less expensive. I don't know what quality and ampacity (current carrying ability) the switches in that product have. It could be good or not very good. If you don't do audio-oriented DIY, then opt for the switchbox.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
61z8BEid5RL._SL1000_.jpg

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You might ask @RichB what he used do do similar. I think he got a device with remote control which would be convenient. Whatever you do make sure it switches out both + and - , doesn't connect - in common since one of your amps is bridged.

Zek

Major Contributor
Top Bottom