• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is BurrBrown DAC comes with Yamaha Receiver Any Good?

skaveesh

Hi All,

Sorry if this is the not the right place to ask this question.

I'm going to buy Yamaha RX-V585 (7.2 Atmos receiver, made in Malaysia). It includes a BurrBrown DAC. I couldn't find any technical model details on it other than ->> Burr-Brown 384 kHz / 32-bit DAC x 4.

Does anyone know if this DAC is good for music listening using front 2 speakers (I mostly watch movies) ?
Where can I find any reviews on this DAC?

(I'm quite happy if this DAC is as capable as Schiit Modi 3. If not I will have to get Schiit Modi 3 as well for music listening)

OP
skaveesh

skaveesh

It seems to use the PCM5101A chip. Now the chip is only part of the story. The final performance depends on design as a whole. If you're anyway buying the receiver, I would suggest listening to it and deciding for yourself whether you're satisfied or want something better for music.

I would accept anything better that comes my way, because I've never had a great listening experience. Thank you for the reply. anyway I'll listen before purchasing

twsecrest

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The PCM5101A has a SNR of 106, which lower end, for a modern DAC.
Where as the Modi 3 DAC has a SNR higher then 120.

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Chances are, what's inside the Yamaha is likely to be good enough. You may want to keep digital peak levels 2-3 dB under 0 dBFS, but other shortcomings are likely to be measurable but not audible. The extra money for a DAC would be better spent on the next bigger model, the RX-V685 - not so much for its PCM5102 front channel DAC but rather the extra 2 kg or so worth of power transformer. These Yamahas tend to drop off heavily in multichannel output power due to power supply sag, so that would be a real, tangible improvement.

OP
skaveesh

skaveesh

The PCM5101A has a SNR of 106, which lower end, for a modern DAC.
Where as the Modi 3 DAC has a SNR higher then 120.

Thanks. then I have to get a Modi too in the future.

Chances are, what's inside the Yamaha is likely to be good enough. You may want to keep digital peak levels 2-3 dB under 0 dBFS, but other shortcomings are likely to be measurable but not audible. The extra money for a DAC would be better spent on the next bigger model, the RX-V685 - not so much for its PCM5102 front channel DAC but rather the extra 2 kg or so worth of power transformer. These Yamahas tend to drop off heavily in multichannel output power due to power supply sag, so that would be a real, tangible improvement.

Thanks for the reply. If I use a external DAC with this receiver RCA inputs, this receiver will not use it's internal DAC, right (for music only)?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
If I use a external DAC with this receiver RCA inputs, this receiver will not use it's internal DAC, right (for music only)?

It has YPAO.

My guess:

If YPAO is applied to the analog inputs, the RCA signal will be digitized for manipulation and the result sent through the internal DAC.

Their guess:

Pure Direct mode is a feature offered by many Yamaha receivers. When engaged, it feeds sound directly to the amplifier and bypasses any DSP processing that might otherwise color the signal, ensuring the best possible high-fidelity sound from all audio sources – even USB and HDMI inputs.

Does this AVR offer Pure Direct or some similarly named "feature"?

OP
skaveesh

skaveesh

It has YPAO.

My guess:

If YPAO is applied to the analog inputs, the RCA signal will be digitized for manipulation and the result sent through the internal DAC.

Their guess:

Pure Direct mode is a feature offered by many Yamaha receivers. When engaged, it feeds sound directly to the amplifier and bypasses any DSP processing that might otherwise color the signal, ensuring the best possible high-fidelity sound from all audio sources – even USB and HDMI inputs.

Does this AVR offer Pure Direct or some similarly named "feature"?

Thanks for the reply. It has this feature - direct playback. if I enable this it will disable internal DAC?
Rich (BB code):
Enjoying pure high fidelity sound (direct playback)

When DIRECT is pressed and the direct playback mode is enabled, the unit plays
back the selected source with the least circuitry. It allows you to enjoy Hi-Fi sound
quality.

Each time you press the key, the direct playback mode is enabled or disabled.
NOTE
▪ When the direct playback mode is enabled, the following functions are not available.
– Selecting sound programs
– Using the Zone B function
– Adjusting the tone control
– Operating the on-screen “Setup” and “Option” menus
– Viewing information on the front display (when not in operation)
▪ When the direct playback mode is enabled, the front display may become dark

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
if I enable this it will disable internal DAC?

The description would seem to indicate that it avoids additional processing.

The next question might be:

Does the direct path's performance equal or exceed the performance of the DAC you want to connect?

John Siau (Benchmark) likes to say "The DAC is 10%, the analog section is the other 90%" (or something like that) when discussing performance.

I'd borrow a DAC, if possible and try it, just to see if there is any noticeable difference at all.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...1191-inside-the-dac2-part-1-analog-processing

The limited specs available for the AVR do not indicate outstanding performance:

1600836116914.png

1600836248699.png

No noise spec given.

Last edited:
OP
skaveesh

skaveesh

The description would seem to indicate that it avoids additional processing.

The next question might be:

Does the direct path's performance equal or exceed the performance of the DAC you want to connect?

John Siau (Benchmark) likes to say "The DAC is 10%, the analog section is the other 90%" (or something like that) when discussing performance.

I'd borrow a DAC, if possible and try it, just to see if there is any noticeable difference at all.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...1191-inside-the-dac2-part-1-analog-processing

The limited specs available for the AVR do not indicate outstanding performance:

View attachment 84386

View attachment 84389

No noise spec given.

Thank you.. I will be getting Schiit modi 3. but I will get this Receiver first. then only consider whether to get a modi. (when this pandemic is over. because i live outside the US)

Thank you for providing this review. I will look into it.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you.. I will be getting Schiit modi 3. but I will get this Receiver first. then only consider whether to get a modi. (when this pandemic is over. because i live outside the US)

Thank you for providing this review. I will look into it.

Personally I doubt an external dac run through the unit would yield any audible differences, particularly as you're still using the avr's analog circuitry....

OP
skaveesh

skaveesh

Personally I doubt an external dac run through the unit would yield any audible differences, particularly as you're still using the avr's analog circuitry....

Thanks for the reply. what is the best way to use a external DAC?
is it okay if I use it with just an Amplifier because I have Technics SU-3150? ( DAC --> Amplifier --> Speakers)

Try to get an Aventage line AVR.
thanks for the suggestion. but Aventage is way beyond my current budget :(

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for the reply. what is the best way to use a external DAC?
is it okay if I use it with just an Amplifier because I have Technics SU-3150? ( DAC --> Amplifier --> Speakers)

thanks for the suggestion. but Aventage is way beyond my current budget :(

I'd say if that integrated amp is what you want to use rather than an avr, yes, an external dac would be appropriate.

ps I think you're overthinking the effect of the dac, tho.

OP
skaveesh

skaveesh

I'd say if that integrated amp is what you want to use rather than an avr, yes, an external dac would be appropriate.

ps I think you're overthinking the effect of the dac, tho.

I want better music listening experience with a home theater setup for movie watching.
Actually I'm overthinking this DAC thing. :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Currently I'm using my laptop inbuilt DAC to listen to music. (I think laptop DAC is a garbage).
I think it's better to get this AVR receiver (for my home theater + music) before thinking about any DAC.

raif71

Major Contributor
Thanks. then I have to get a Modi too in the future.

Thanks for the reply. If I use a external DAC with this receiver RCA inputs, this receiver will not use it's internal DAC, right (for music only)?
If you use the rca inputs of receiver, yes it should bypass the internal DAC. Remember that DAC only processes digital inputs. If you connect coax or optical to the receiver, then yes the receiver will use its Burr-Brown DAC

OP
skaveesh

skaveesh

If you use the rca inputs of receiver, yes it should bypass the internal DAC. Remember that DAC only processes digital inputs. If you connect coax or optical to the receiver, then yes the receiver will use its Burr-Brown DAC
I was wondering about that coax and optical inputs. thanks for the clarification

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, analog inputs to the avr can bypass the avr's dac, all digital would use the internal dac of the avr (hdmi, optical, digital coax, usb, internet/wifi) but as was said you'd have an ADC and DAC conversion in the background using any dsp. So just set the sound mode for the content accordingly. I have used avr dacs for a long time, they're quite good in that they are transparent....

Last edited:

Evenor

Forum Donor
Amir mentioned in one review that the DAC wouldn't limit the amplifier performance with a SINAD of 10db better than the amplifier. The context was measuring the pre-out of an AVR and its internal amplifier. The scale is logarithmic so the better DAC performance quickly becomes negligible and there are probably negligible differences from lower than a 10db difference. My impression is that a system always falls down to the level of the lowest component so a sick DAC can't fix a weak amplifier or poorly performing speakers. The room and listening position is also huge of course.

Top Bottom