• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Benchmark AHB2 power a good buy for me?

sngreen

Here is a good thread comparing AHB2 to Pass XA25 (which is only 25 wps).
It seems Pass if preferred by most;

I have Pass F5t (50 wps), which I absolutely love, and although I do not have AHB2 I can somewhat relate to the analytical flavors (Parasound, Musical Fidelity, etc.).

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is a good thread comparing AHB2 to Pass XA25 (which is only 25 wps).
It seems Pass if preferred by most;

I have Pass F5t (50 wps), which I absolutely love, and although I do not have AHB2 I can somewhat relate to the analytical flavors (Parasound, Musical Fidelity, etc.).
Sorry to be negative again. The forum you linked is not a good forum at all in the sense of audioscience. This forum here is about facts and not subjective individual opinions or anecdotes. Because facts can be objectively and scientifically replicated and opinions by nature not. That’s why you will likely get challenged to provide facts when making statements here. But of course everyone has their personal preferences but it is moot to argue about tastes and individual preferences.

I can only recommend to read through the Reference Library section and the Psycho Acoustic section if you are open to it and asked questions.

sngreen

Sorry to be negative again. The forum you linked is not a good forum at all in the sense of audioscience. This forum here is about facts and not subjective individual opinions or anecdotes. Because facts can be objectively and scientifically replicated and opinions by nature not. That’s why you will likely get challenged to provide facts when making statements. But of course everyone has their personal preferences but it is moot to argue about tastes and individual preferences.

I can only recommend to read through the Reference Library section and the Psycho Acoustic section if you are open to it and asked questions.
But I did not make statements, or did I? Just my opinion, and I think I even said so.

As to science, at does not always go hand in hand with what our individual preferences often are. I have plenty of examples on this topic, that to what was scientifically "proven" as better was indeed preferred the opposite. Even after it been reviewed measured on this very same forum.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But I did not make statements, or did I? Just my opinion, and I think I even said so.

As to science, at does not always go hand in hand with what our individual preferences often are. I have plenty of examples on this topic, that to what was scientifically "proven" as better was indeed preferred the opposite. Even after it been reviewed measured on this very same forum.
Not quite correct. Even preference can be scientifically measured - it is done with controlled ABX tests which aim to exclude individual biases interfering with the results.

Look at the studies / book from F Toole and or Sean Olive who have conducted controlled preference studies with hundreds of people. The result gives an indication what the majority (ca 62%) prefers and what the most common deviations are from the majority.

Sure it will not predict your individual preference nor is it meant to tell you what you should prefer individually.

Again please read through the sources I hinted above and maybe open another thread as we are getting off topic here. Your perceptions are not uncommon for people joining newly and have been discussed and answered many time at the respective threads.

Last edited:

sngreen

Not quite correct. Even preference can be scientifically measured - it is done with controlled ABX tests which aim to exclude individual biases interfering with the results.

Look at the studies / book from F Toole and or Sean Olive who have conducted controlled preference studies with hundreds of people. The result gives an indication what the majority (ca 62%) prefers and what the most common deviations are from the majority.

Sure it will not predict your individual preference nor is it meant to tell you what you should prefer individually.
Sure, but will these preferences be always leaning towards measured-to-be-better products? That is the question.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure, but will these preferences be always towards measured-to-be-better products? That is the question.
Yes for at least 62% it will be perceived as better. Everything else is just individual taste - like Pepsi vs Coke or Vanilla vs Chocolate.

Please look up the references. It is all explained in detail there.

sngreen

Yes for at least 62% it will be perceived as better. Everything else is just individual taste - like Pepsi vs Coke or Vanilla vs Chocolate.
That's not what I read on the other forums where AHB2 is compared, as an example. It is an excellent product indeed, at least from the reviews we read, yet the end-users often take something else instead. And it is not for the cost saving. Hmm .. I wonder why.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not what I read on the other forums where AHB2 is compared, as an example. It is an excellent product indeed, at least from the reviews we read, yet the end-users often take something else instead. And it is not for the cost saving. Hmm .. I wonder why.
Again other forums are not the reference. This is why this forum was created.

I will stop here because it is seriously off topic. I recommend to read and study what I hinted and also to continue this very common discussion in the existing threads.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That's not what I read on the other forums where AHB2 is compared, as an example.

Have you seen any where they use sight and level controls?

Your "wanted D amp back" tells me you probably like electronic music, which is what D (my brief experience was only with NAD M23) are best suited for.

:facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Class D with a Belden power cord is the cat's meow for techno-industrial ;)

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The AHB-2 is no-doubt a great amplifier for most people. But you need two for a decent system, running in BTL, one per channel. Otherwise it's just a 100wpc@8R amplifier with excellent specs.
I agree I use two for quite a while now and do not have any complaint.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I dumped all things Topping and splurged with an all Benchmark setup , DAC3, LA4 and ABH2.

I can't find any faults in this setup.

For me, worth every penny.
I replaced my DAC3 with Topping D90SE as Benchmark started having issues with my iPad Pro I use as streamer.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Analytical is not a flavor but a consequence of low distortion and linearity. Flavors reflect deviations from low distortion and linearity.

jjmanda

At a total of around £8500 I'd hope so. :cool:
About $7,300.00 usd total.
I don't think too much considering what you get for it... especially if I no longer feel the need to keep spending on upgrades anymore.
You can also spend a lot more for a lot less.

Plus don't forget the "Benchmark" shot glasses included for free :)

Mtbf

Do you own it? Someone reviewed it, with the message that when it clips it starts blinking and then shuts off. The reviewer liked it nevertheless, so he bough two (one for each channel). Now it's Ok.
Yes, I do. Emailed Benchmark if I should buy two, and use them in bridge mode, but they said that was not necessary.
So I only bought one and they were right, I only needed one. Been very happy with it since then. Have been using both my existing preamp and the Benchmark DAC with it, and both work fine, since you can adjust the input sensitivity of the AHB2 in three steps.

radix

Major Contributor
The choice of one or two really depends on your speakers, how far away your listening position is, and what you want your dynamic range to be (i.e. how much headroom).

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Yes, I do. Emailed Benchmark if I should buy two, and use them in bridge mode, but they said that was not necessary.
Nearly all other hi-fi companies would have recommend buying two of their items in such a situation.
Benchmark is an outstanding company making excellent products and wanting the best for their customers.

Last edited:

sprellemannen

Forum Donor
Hi,

I'm looking to drive a pair of 'large' bookshelves - Monitor Audio PL100 Platinums (https://www.monitoraudio.com/en/support/past-products/platinum/pl100/)

I have a Matrix Audio X Sabre Pro MQA DAC into a Meridian pre-amp, streaming music from Roon... I believe I could plug the Sabre straight into power amp, however I do use the meridian for my REL sub output too....

I'm thinking the Benchmark AHB2 power amp will be a great addition, just wondering what others think?

Are there other power amp's I should consider?

Thanks
I bought a LA90D from Aliexpress from China in June, all arrived in the UK fine, no import tax as marked as sample and value $20...

It worked ok for 3-4 weeks, then started to get pop/crackle as reported by others... I then contacted the seller and said as it was more than 30 days (35 days), I needed to return it to China for repair. I said not interested in repair and wanted a refund. After a while, they agreed... They then offered to give me a refund and not return which I obviously agreed to... Then the day after, they changed their mind and offered a 70% refund and keep it... I said I don't want to use it in case it damages speakers so want 100% refund.

Anyhow to cut a long story short, turns out they have a UK warehouse I could return it too, which I did and got a full refund.
Benchmark AHB2 is definitively for you: I guess your problems with the amplifier from Topping made you fed up.
Benchmark is well known for making products of excellent quality and has amazing customer service.
I have been a Benchmark products owner since 2010 and have had no problems with their products (DAC1, DAC2, AHB2).

Last edited:
Top Bottom